Available on Google PlayApp Store

Can anyone explain how to make sense of the kanji section

Hi how do i make sense of the kanji section with all the different meanings i must be missing some instruction.

It shows hiragana but there are several writings and i can not work out which im supposed to use in the quiz for each chapter ?? need help
posted by sid1968

Comments 10

• mog86uk
    mog86uk
    I think that for most of the kanji questions only one of the four answer choices even has any potential to be possibly correct. What I mean is, the other three answer choices almost always contain parts that aren't even listed among the various readings of the kanji OR that aren't shown among the example words for the kanji in that chapter.

Do you have any examples you could give of this? Anyone else feel free to contribute some examples too. I'm sure there are some kanji questions that are completely impossible to work out the answer, and have to resort to pure guesswork, but I can't think of any right now of the top of my head since I don't really use the lesssons pages much.
  • JACKBOSMA
    JACKBOSMA
    print out or save the lessons in a file then use in conjunction with the quizzes.
  • sid1968
    sid1968
    Thanks guys , its a strange way to learn something new just by guessing the answer even when the correct answer is not in the lessons, but i shall plod on with it...peace
  • mog86uk
    mog86uk
    @Sid, Could you post the one that you've encountered?

It's possible there might have been some way you could have learnt the answer for definite just from the lesson. I see you're only up to chapter 2 or 3 at the moment, so I wouldn't have thought you'd experience this issue yet, but I could be wrong.
  • sid1968
    sid1968
    yes only beginner i will try and put something on here to explain my problem better it might take some time as im a bit unsure how to get it across thanks for the help
  • JACKBOSMA
    JACKBOSMA
    Focus on chapter 1 kanji, and we will help you.

• mog86uk
    mog86uk
    Ah! I think I might possibly have worked out what is causing your dilemma.

In kanji dictionaries, kunyomi are listed in hiragana but onyomi are listed in katakana. They are listed like this purely in order to make it easy to distinguish which reading is which type.

In actual writing, both onyomi and kunyomi are still written in hiragana.

This website uses the same style conventions that are used in kanji dictionaries.

Previously on this site KUN and ON readings were both listed mixed together, all in hiragana, with nothing to indicate which reading was for which type. Later it was changed to what we have now. I didn't understand why it was necessary to both list them under seperate headings AND to seperate them with hiragana/katakana. Both could have just been left as hiragana once they were listed seperately with their "onyomi" and "kunyomi" headings.

So, in short, readings from both "onyomi" and "kunyomi" are actually written in hiragana and are both in hiragana in the quiz.

Hope I didn't guess the wrong problem and posted this all for no reason? xD
  • sid1968
    sid1968
    yes i think that is whats causing my problem thanks for the explanation i'm sure now i can figure out whats what i will get the hang of it...well lets hope so
  • mog86uk
    mog86uk
    That's good to hear. ^^

To answer my previous question I quicky went through the first few chapters in the Kanji section. All the questions for the first three chapters have their answers taught on the lesson page, none of those questions having more than one answer that has a matching reading.

However, in chapter 4 you will encounter the first actual problem question. One of the questions that appear on the quiz is this one, 学, where the answer is がく. This kanji isn't taught until kanji chapter 52!!!

BUT, in chapter 4, within some of the example words underneath one of the other kanji, 生, that kanji 学 is actually seen:

小学生 = しょうがくせい
    中学生 = ちゅうがくせい

So, even though I think this question may have been put there by mistake, you can actually work out its answer through logic. Since 生 is already taught as せい, and the only difference between those two words is their first kanji, therefore the middle part of the reading which stays the same for both words should be the reading of their middle kanji, 学.

Based on this, logically there would only be three possibilities for its reading: く, がく, or うがく. Only one of those three are found within the answer choices list for that question... がく
  • mog86uk
    mog86uk
    Oops, I meant to type that chapter 51 is where 学 is taught, not chapter 52. Still rather a long way off from chapter 4 though either way. :P
sid1968