Available on Google PlayApp Store

That dang "R"!!

I'm a little new to learning japanese and English is my native language. I've tried a good bit of advice from videos, etc and I just can't pronounce "ra ri ro re ro". Maybe someone can give me a different approach? When I say it, it comes out pure D or pure L sound.
posted by xwaffleman

Comments 6

• qwerty_qaz
    qwerty_qaz
    I think it's a sound between soft r and l. Sometimes they say it more like l, sometimes more like r. I think you'll get used to it by repetition and practice. I recommend to watch movies, listen to songs, etc. (: Also, have you watched this video? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEBkP_Q0FeA (:
  • xwaffleman
    xwaffleman
    Yeah I'm follow the persons guide that made that video! It works great! But yeah I think you're right, I'll just have to keep at it.
  • Eman166
    Eman166
    do it how you pronounce r in spanish
  • Unkokun
    Unkokun
    Try this xwaffleman....

With English pronunciation, say LAH, LEE, LOO, LAY, LOW. Pay attention to where your tongue is. You will notice that the tongue touches the bottom edge of the front teeth when you say each word.

Now, concentrate on saying those same sounds, except this time, concentrate on lightly putting your tongue on the roof of your mouth right behind the front teeth instead. I think you will find that you sound pretty good with this method.

Let me know how that works out for you.
  • xwaffleman
    xwaffleman
    Yeah I couldn't ever do the R in Spanish for my class haha
    But Unkokun, yeah that helps a little, I've been practicing just like that, just sounds like an L-ish still. I have a very stubborn tongue.
  • Unkokun
    Unkokun
    You can expect a little "L" sound to it, that's what makes it tricky, haha...but if you want a little more "R" to them, try touching the roof of you mouth further back, away from the teeth.
xwaffleman