Available on Google PlayApp Store

Another Newbie Introduction Thread

I'm sure tons of these exist, but I wanted to make one anyway because this looks like an awesome place and I'd like to tell you guys about myself and possibly make some friends here.

So, I guess I'll go ahead and introduce myself to the best of my ability. ^^;

初めまして。私はエルビスです。よろしくお願いします。日本語わ少し話せます。
I hope that was right... So, in English: "Hello. I'm Elvis. Pleased to meet you. I speak very little Japanese." :P

So a bit more about myself. I am 26 years old and have no formal education in Japanese nor do I have any current means of acquiring such education, so I am trying to teach myself. So far I've learned hiragana, katakana, a few kanji, and some very basic vocabulary. I learned all of that from various websites and it has been a slow process. I'm trying this one in hopes that I can learn faster and so far, it seems to be working. The way the lessons and tests are set up, it seems like I can speed through stuff I already know and spend more time on stuff I don't know. It's also rewarding to earn points, get combos, and level up, especially since I can compare my rank with other members. It makes it fun, which is something that is lacking in many other sites. Another thing that other sites tend to lack is exactly what I'm doing now, social interaction. I've read that communicating with other people can be very helpful and even necessary in learning a language, so I'm hoping that I can make use of the social features here to talk to some people and possibly learn from each other.

Anyway, that's about all I have to say, so I'm going to see how this goes and maybe I'll see some of you around.
posted by elviswjr

Comments 3

• freakymrq
    freakymrq
    こんばんはエルビスさん。私はジョウズです。十九才です、下手な日本語ははなします。でも、まあまあは読みます。

Good evening Elvis, I am Josh. I am 19 years old, I am bad at speaking Japanese. But, I am so-so in reading it.

There's my little intro :P

Make sure that when you use the particle は you use it and not わ (even though when は is being used as a particle it is pronounced like わ)

Like you I have never had a class for Japanese and I am completely self studying it now. I have found the best way of learning a language is being exposed to it and just using it as much as possible and becoming immersed. Also using a wide variety of resources has been very beneficial as well. Let's do our best to learn this magical language \o/

Also, I am assuming by your avatar that you are a vocaloid fan?
  • botto
    botto
    Vocaloid is awesome :)
  • elviswjr
    elviswjr
    Yes, I love Vocaloid, and thank you for the kind words and tips! :D
    頑張りましょう!
elviswjr