Money "Hyaku and Sen"
So, if Hyaku is 100 yen, and Sen is 1,000 yen then wouldn't you combine the two words to make 100,000? Hyaku sen?
posted by DrewRyanGhost July 14, 2014 at 6:40am
- aliceyumi July 14, 2014 at 6:47amthere's the 'man' meaning 10,000. then 100,000 would be 10 man
- empiresx July 14, 2014 at 6:50amYou are assuming all languages apply the same rules as English.
- DrewRyanGhost July 14, 2014 at 11:52amOh no, I'm not assuming ALL languages apply the same rules as English. I have taken 3 years of Spanish and know that it doesn't apply
- DrewRyanGhost July 14, 2014 at 11:50amYou don't say ichi before man either?
- Sitzkissen July 17, 2014 at 12:35am一万 = 1x 10.000 || 十万 = 10x 10.000 = 100.000 || 十一万 = 11x 10.000= 110.000
- Sakura_Fujiko July 17, 2014 at 4:20pmPlease don't ever say "ichisen". Though if you read the Kanji separate and put them together you would come to this conclusion the correct pronunciation for 1000 is "issen" (いっせん - 一千) because there are many exceptions for counting things regarding pronunciation. And yes, DrewRyanGhost, you are right, you would say "ichiman" (いちまん - 一万) as SoulReturns indicated.
- SoulReturns July 17, 2014 at 12:28pmSpanish has the same rules as English for most things, this is completely different.
I also detest your romaji, but because you're using it I will follow suit.
Learn them kana.
Juu = 10
Hyaku = 100
Sen = 1,000
Man = 10,000
It would be Juu-Man.
As a rule of thumb, you have to use the number counter thing that is one lower. (So for 100,000, 10,000 would be the closest).
Keep in mind Japanese numbers count by fours instead of threes like in English. Ever wonder why we put commas between every three digits? (ex. 1,000,000,000). We count by threes.
One last thing. If you want to say 1,000, you can't just say "sen." You must say "ichisen." Same applies for everything else.
- mogmog July 19, 2014 at 1:57amWe Japanese say like these.
ichi / juu / hyaku / sen / man 一／十／百／千 /万
1 / 10 / 100 / 1,000 / 10,000
juu man / hyaku man / sen man 万／十万／百万／千万
100,000 / 1,000,000 / 10,000,000
ichi oku / juu oku / hyaku oku / sen oku 一億／十億／百億／千億
100,000,000 / 10,000,000,000 / 100,000,000,000 / 1,000,000,000,000
icchou / jucchou / hyacchou / sen chou 一兆／十兆／百兆／千兆
- mogmog July 19, 2014 at 1:58am万／十万／百万／千万 ー＞【訂正correction】 十万／百万／千万