Available on Google PlayApp Store

Alternative Lesson Layout

Hi! Thank you so much for this website. I joined the first day of June and this site has been great for practicing vocabulary. I would like to make a suggestion.

The current way that the vocabulary is presented in the Lessons tab-- the kanji alongside the native language and hiragana in list form-- is useful, but makes it difficult to focus on one word at a time. It's also too easy accidentally look over to the native language or hiragana when trying to memorize. Is it possible to have an option where the list is presented in a virtual flash card form of some kind? For example, the kanji for the word "student" is shown inside a rectangle. Then the user could click a corner of the rectangle and the user's native language of the word is shown. Maybe there could be an option for choosing to have the native language on the other side or the hiragana. I think this would help people gauge if they really know the material before they go risk experience points in the Practice and Tests.

I just wanted to throw that idea out there. And once again, thank you for this wonderful website.
posted by Liko

Comments 33

• beeant
    beeant
    I think this is a great idea..

do you mean like a slideshow of vocabularies?
  • Liko
    Liko
    Yes, a slideshow would work. To me, the main thing is being able to focus on one word at a time. So if you went with the slideshow form, the kanji could be shown first. Then you could click to see the next slide for the translation and/or the pronunciation in hiragana. This would be a great way to practice yourself before going to the tests as well as a way to review old material.
  • beeant
    beeant
    I have implemented the feature you suggested in the kanji lesson.

Please take a look at tell me what do you think, and whether you like it or not.

Thank you for the suggestion =D
    bn
  • Gituska
    Gituska
    Hello,
    Slideshow is a helpful feature, because the process of learning kanji one by one is definetely more comfortable - maybe, even faster now. I like it.
    Suggestion: please add the "stroke order" button in the slideshow window
  • spanz
    spanz
    Good feature indeed, but I'm not sure if that is exactly what Liko was talking about...
    I think she wants not only the Kanji separated one by one, but all the info also separated. That is, I think she wants all hidden, except the Kanji she wants to study. The readings, the meanings, the compounds, should be visible only when the user wants them to be visible, and each thing separately.
    We'll have to wait for Liko, but that's my guess. And I like the idea.

And as suggestion, besides the stroke order, I'd like a way to start the slideshow in the kanji you want. That would be better than start always from the first one. And maybe a "Previous" button (not only a "Next" button). Other than that, it's very good. And the big kanji looks really good.
  • spanz
    spanz
    Ah, one more thing.
    The "Next" button scrolls up when the list is long. If you make the button static (not scrollable), the navigation would be easier.
  • beeant
    beeant
    Gituska
    I wanted to put stroke order in the same page, however, it is difficult since the stroke order that JCJP using now is from other site.
    I remember that I found some database about kanji stroke order, but I forgot the URL. I will try to do something to put stroke order in the slideshow.

spanz:
    Do you mean the page consist of each the kanji combinations?
    or, its like a flash card system... at first hide the info, and then the user click "show info" and the info is shown?

Previous button is good, I will work on it ASAP.

Thank you,
    bn
  • spanz
    spanz
    Yes. First hide the info, and show it when the user clicks in a button, but separate the info in several buttons: One for readings, one for meanings, and so on.

Oops! There's a wrong text at the bottom of the slideshow box: "Kanji Chapter Test". It should be "Lesson".

For the stroke order, you can use the file from kanjivg project (it's free, but probably hard to use): http://kanjivg.tagaini.net/
    Or, you can simply use a font to show the stroke order. You can show that font in another frame, so you don't need to change the beautiful font you're using now.
    There are some freely dowloadable fonts with the strokes numbered, like the one in this site, for example: http://sites.google.com/site/nihilistorguk/
  • Liko
    Liko
    Wow. Sorry I've been away so long guys. I didn't realize how much conversation this would cause, but I'm glad to see it. ^_^ Thank you beeant for adding the slideshow option so quickly. It looks great, but the way spanz is describing how the slideshow would work is more what I had in mind. If several buttons to separate the info is too difficult, just having the kanji on one slide and then the other information on the next slide would still be a big help. If there is something I can do or I need to clarify more, just ask. I promise not to take as long to reply.
  • Gituska
    Gituska
    Beeant,
    As for the stroke order. It is all right. I can watch it before and after the slideshow. Keep it as simple as possible.

Oh, I have just noticed: I´m extremely lazy to click during my learning phase. That fact would be main reason why I prefer slideshow style over hide-able things in standard layout (click and roll-roll-roll-click). It goes more smoothly now, big kanji <3
    --
    Btw. I miss our brainstorming comedy thread. Slideshow by analogy: Have you ever tried to serve the kanji symbols in the style of fastfood restaurants? =D Kanji looks awfuly difficult, they are not tasty, bleh bleh. Very cunning McBeeant´s must offer us the ultimate menu: kanji + meaning + whatever needed + Coca-cola gratis. Take it and go... (tagline: kanji, I´m lovin´ it)

• beeant
    beeant
    Hello,

I think I will include what spanz suggested for the stroke order.

Yes, I kind of feel that this feature is really important for learning, apart from the test feature. Thanks to Liko.

Well, for your brainstorming idea, it is interesting, but it is difficult to apply for many vocabularies. If I dont get it wrong, if JCJP has 6000 vocabularies, I have to make 6000 food in the menu...

Sorry for the late reply and short reply, I will get back to this ASAP.

Thank You,
    bn

• spanz
    spanz
    McBeeant: 6000? It seems the caffeine (coca-cola gratis!) is already affecting you. There are only 1455 items in your whole vocabulary list (some of them are repeated) and 599 items in the Kanji list!
    About the stroke order, do you plan to use the XML database or the numbered font?

Gituska: You drive Beeant crazy with your lovely prose style. He sees suggestions everywhere. :D
    IMHO, many Kanji are indeed awfully difficult to swallow, even with ketchup.
    Nevertheless, some Kanji are crunchy and tasty, and you can always open them, lick the cream, and soak them in milk. (Sorry, I couldn't resist! :P)
  • Gituska
    Gituska
    Beeant (and everybody) - detailed explanation:
    JCJP´s menu consists of several types food (lesson, practise), portions of various sizes (chapters). Vocabularies (or kanji) are raw material. You can cook it in order to sell it to students-customers at segmented market. Because nobody can eat raw meat / nobody can swallow the whole japanese language during few days. Frankly speaking, I tried to add bussiness or rather the marketing strategy (general way of thinking) into your concept of online game: we collect exps, items (kanji, vocabularies), do tests (fights in dungeons). Think of it: it is just the example of alternative point of view. To tune our mind together. You can freely switch between the programmer´s mode and the student-customer´s mode in this model. (Liko is an hungry student, but she can easily imagine admin´s "cooking" part too.)

- That local chef is really the ultimate pro. If Gituska likes Kentacky Fried Strike Order, he will develop some new spanz-recipes to cook it in McBeeant´s kitchen. -

Wow, 6000 vocabularies! Soooo~~~ much?!
  • Gituska
    Gituska
    Spanz: If McBeant says "6000," there will - definetely - be 6000 items in JCJP one day. I believe him. He can do it. He has fallen for CMs recently, hence he uploaded Sapporo: Legendary biru. To be honest, it originaly inspired my fastfood theory.
    Oh, Spanz, you had licked the kanji symbol and then soaked it into milk due to "my lovely prose" style! Who is that crazy one here? :D

Beeant: I like your enthusiasm. (My deepest apologies for jokes and spamming. I cannot resit too, blame on Spanz!)

Liko: Great idea, great thread, great fun.
  • beeant
    beeant
    Yes, of course there will be 6000 words in JCJP.

Your explanation using hungry student is good, now I add some ketchup sauce (voice system) to the slideshow, so it may become more delicious now.
    please enjoy
    I really like your metaphor... personification or anything I dont know which one... I will keep that in mind

I should be working on more of food additives, like the one spanz has suggested me in email.
  • spanz
    spanz
    Incredible...
    This is getting better and better...
    New vocabulary slideshow (great!), and even sound...

Liko: Thank you very much for the slideshow idea.

Beeant, are you sure you're only one person? This is hard to believe!

Gituska, licking a Kanji and soaking it in milk before eating it is a crazy thing for sure. You have to OPEN it first! (I know it, because I'm a chef) XD

• Gituska
    Gituska
    Wow, such an amazing speed. Beeant must be excited at maximum level, I guess. (Mr. Bee and Mr. Ant. Both of them. He is running a very solid bussiness: Bee&Ant; and his hardworking Sons, Cousins, the rest of Family, Loyal Slaves and Vassals (Spanz), Ltd.)

Spanz: Did you mean to eat it like the oyster kanji? Such an exotic seafood is not available at my area of knowledge. I´m on beginner´s diet, I prefer low-caloric radicals.
    ---
    suggestion: vizualized order play/stop for the voice-podcasting button. Symbols > and II are welcomed. I would like to "shut up" our waiter Robo-kun (vocals) sometimes, because I want to repeat his sexy quote or to continue reading (of longer texts) quietly.
    Robo-kun <3 is a laconic loser, he forgets to offer the full daily menu, he needs proper training. Loop: Reading - alternative reading - the whole word examples - (the other examples)
  • beeant
    beeant
    There are 2 of my friends who helped me a bit in some part like feeding a little part of the database. (Chinese vocabulary, and kanji level 5)
    I asked for help, they said they are interested in helping, but it seems like they lose the passion in the mid-beginning.

for programming its all me, but I am using some open source codes such as CodeIgniter framework, jQuery, jQuery plug-ins.

Of course, there are many users giving me suggestions, translating the UI, translating database, etc. like you spanz, but you are the longest and the most active. I am sorry, but I want to be honest that, its difficult to remember everyone unless the user are active. However, I have the records of all users who participated in suggesting features, feedback, etc..

There were some passionate users like spanz in the beginning, but I dont know where they go.

Thank you
    bn
  • beeant
    beeant
    The Robots has a name,
    The male robot who deal with kanji, called Takashi
    The female robot who deal with vocabulary, called Keiko

Ya, today is their first day, they need more training.

For now, mostly its just one word, why do you need pause button?
    I will add pause button when I give more job to them to read sentences.

Thank You,
    bn
  • Gituska
    Gituska
    Nice names! The guestion is, whether the CEO of Beeant´s Ltd. is currently cosplaying Keiko or not...

As for the pause button - no particular/racional reason for implementation now, of course. > and II look cool, smart, profesional, because all media players usually have got it. Maybe you thrilled me about that future with 6000 you-know-what :D
    ---
    - The Spring of JCJP: The certain feeling of tranquillity, the endless touch of history. The power of nameless users, I´m just passing by -
    almost-haiku by Anonymus Lazybones G., local literature corner
  • spanz
    spanz
    ||
  • Gituska
    Gituska
    > spanz, excellent wording =D
  • spanz
    spanz
    Thank you. I was just trying to pretend that I'm cool, smart & professional.
    By the way, did you put ">" to exit the pause mode "||"?
  • Gituska
    Gituska
    Of course. You had paused all my future haiku attempts and the whole thread in generall as well, because you are afraid of karōshi (過労死) of you-know-who. Very cunning.
  • spanz
    spanz
    No, no, no, and の! I don't wanna cut your 翼. Please, you can perpetrate all the 俳句 attempts you want. >, >>, >>>. Maybe in the future we can hear your almost-haikus with the voice of Takashi Robo-kun cosplaying Bokko-chan. We won't understand them, but it will be the same as proper haiku so go for it and open a haiku thread.
    Besides, I'm not afraid of y-k-w's 過労死, 'cos he knows very well how to ignore us. For example, someone should stop this spamming but here we are, being wisely ignored. Ah, the creaminess of loneliness... ♫
  • beeant
    beeant
    another Bokko-chan discussion by you two hahaha
  • spanz
    spanz
    Sorry, Boss. That's not a haiku. It lacks several "ha".
  • Gituska
    Gituska
    Spanz: I don´t get it. You would simply write: "No spam, please" if you didn´t want to continue joking around. To be angry, sarcastic or whatever unfriendly is truly meaningless, I think, especially in this case. Any problem should be solved with a calm brain, directly, honestly as fast as possible.
  • spanz
    spanz
    Gituska: Oh, no! I'm always joking! You misunderstood me and that makes me very sad.
    I need to be much more careful with my words. Sorry. I have a problem only with my own stupidity.
    I'm sure you feel sad also, but trust me, I didn't want to be unfriendly. I was including myself into the category of spammer because I really wanted to follow our chitchat. I suggested to keep on in another haiku thread without thinking you could interpret it as a sarcastic way of ending the conversation. It's true I can't understand most of haikus, but I like them because they can be funny in a special way.
    I'm speechless now. My more sinceres apologies for causing such a stupid problem to you. Sorry. I'm not calm now because I wasn't expect this, but I'm being honest. I never could treat someone that unfriendly way you felt in my words.

Beeant: Sorry to you to, for making Gituska feel sad. I'm ashamed for my clumsyness.

Liko: Sorry for the sad show you had to witness.

Spz
  • beeant
    beeant
    lets get back to the topic of the thread. or make a new thread for another topic discussion.

maybe i should make group of threads per category...?
  • Gituska
    Gituska
    Q: Suggestions (serious ideas) vs. SPAM (free chit-chat, brainstorming). Yes, let´s think about the "group of threads" issue in depth. The reason is above. (Does it needs new thread? Or is it related, pantha rei ~ let it flow?)

We are totally into spam-spam RPG mode now.
    "Combo RPG FastFood&Brainstorming;" is great chit-chat, I would like to continue too (in a new thread). First of all, there should be solved that bulletin dichotomy.

Spanz: Asertivity. I´m sorry for being so sharp. No problem, your jokes are great, very deep-frozen sarcasm. I makes me sad, you became sad because of my sadness, which actually was not the full-fledged sadness...
    I stopped the discussion radicaly, when I had noticed the dangerous double meanings. I wanted to show the hidden danger of mixing. It seems it might lead to misunderstanding easily.
    (I love Sun Tsu, what a devilish poetist. I promise, I´ll be working hard to reach the spz-honesty level one day. How many exps required?)

• spanz
    spanz
    Thank you, Gituska. I'm not into the silly mood anymore, but I'm feel a little better now. Don't worry, my mood will come back sooner or later.
  • Gituska
    Gituska
    Such a strong intesity of emotions. Maybe we somehow touched "kokoro," the heart of things.
Liko