Available on Google PlayApp Store

Site not useful to me

I thought this site would be useful to me, but it's not.

Why?

Because I passed all the level 1 tests without studying (because I know all that material) and it won't let me advance to level 2 without putting in 5x as much work as I already have. I don't have so much extra time in my life that I'm willing to spend that much time rehashing things I already know.

It looks like you've put a lot of work into the site, so I felt it was only fair to tell you why I was leaving, instead of just disappearing.

Good luck with the site.
posted by wccrawford

Comments 9

• StonerPenguin
    StonerPenguin
    Did you read the message I sent you about practice? It really doesn't take that long to get to level 2 :C The users kitamori joined today and he/she is already at level 2. http://japaneseclass.jp/user/statistics/12180 I dunno, I got to level 5 pretty fast. I didn't really think about it. Also, if you're bored with our current lists you can make a note of your own to quiz from (or use the notes of other users) in the note section http://japaneseclass.jp/note/user

BTW Just for fun; You currently have 3291 points, it takes 15001 points to get to get to level 2. You need 11710 more points. To prove a point, I'm gonna do practice to see how long it takes me to get 12,000 points in practice mode. I've made no points yet to day, my Current EXP is 437,144. It's currently 7:30 PM where I am.

Ready! Set! Go! XP
  • StonerPenguin
    StonerPenguin
    It's been 30 minutes and I've got over 10,000 points! And I broke my combo three times, so...
  • RedPepper
    RedPepper
    Hi! This is a great site. Very useful. But Im ready for lesson 3 tests, but it says you need 75,000 points for level 3. This is much too high. Im at 26,000 points and it will take much too long to get to 75,000. Can you lower the points needed to get to the higher levels? Im sure many people would appreciate it.
  • beeant
    beeant
    Hello,

I am really sorry to have such a high requirements to go the next levels.
    I was intending to make you sure that you are actually learned everything in that level. Also, by repetition in doing practice, the vocabularies and kanji would stay longer in your brain.

You can earn combo in practice mode and get higher EXP points and gain level quicker.

To be honest and transparent, the current source of income of is from ads impression and donations. if I set the requirement to be lower, there will be lower ads impression. Actually this helps JCJP to keep alive. JCJP needs to pay for server, and further server upgrade in the future.
    This is one problem if I set the requirement to be lower.

However, I also think that, if I lower the EXP requirement, there maybe more users using JCJP and more ads impressions.

What do you think?

Thank You,
    bn
  • RedPepper
    RedPepper
    Well its hard for me to give good advice not knowing how much per ad and how many people would continue playing if you lower the requirements. You want to get as many ad views as possible so I can understand why you would want to keep it high. But the site should try to attract the higher level people to get more ad views also. Because it is rather tedious if you already know the words I think a lot of people are getting bored and moving on. Especially the jump from level 2 to level 3. It is quite a long distance. Maybe just lower the points on the first few levels. And possibly adding new levels after people have finished level 5.

Also I want to say the time limit on the challange is a little short. It takes me about 30 seconds to get a 10 combo if I make no mistakes, but if I make one around word 8, 9, or 10 there might be no time to recover. You could put ads on the challenge and increase the time so people would be able to play longer and view more ads. Why the time limit anyways? If it was five minutes then it would encourage beginners to challenge more. With more challenges people would be mre competitive and want to study more. Then again leading to increase ad views. A lot of people cant get a 10 combo in 60 seconds anyway. They dont stand a chance.

• beeant
    beeant
    Hello,

I have been thinking and thinking, and I think that user comfort of learning should be prioritized.

I have decided to lower the level up requirements, please see
    http://japaneseclass.jp/info/about

If you detect any bug or any other suggestion, please tell me.

Thank You,
    bn
  • BlueSunTzu
    BlueSunTzu
    I think lower levels is a bad idea. I don't know about everyone else's learning methods, but I aim for mastery, and the high levels keep me motivated. By setting the levels higher, it mandates that you get combos to obtain that many points, large combos, which means not only do you know the material, you know it consistently. Anyway, I am now level 3 without having mastered all of the level 2 vocabulary, which I see as a problem. I say go back to the previous set up.

Perhaps to appease the other uses request there could be some sort of placement test that allows you to initially jump ahead and progress as normally from there.
  • BlueSunTzu
    BlueSunTzu
    In the mean time, could you post the previous level requirements so I can use them as a personal standard?
  • beeant
    beeant
    Ya, I was thinking like that too before, mastery...

but if the EXP requirements is too much, it would be a problem also, some people would just get bored and quit using the site...

Right now I am test driving the new EXP requirements for each level, I want to test if the requirements set are reasonable enough. I would try to adjust after I am done with the test-drive.

You can always do your level 2 chapter tests without any problem.

Also, JCJP has other features to see your real mastery level.
    In your statistics page:
    you can see the completed chapter tests.
    you can also see your vocabulary statistics.
    In practice page, you can also set the level.

These are the previous requirements:
    2 - 15001 EXP
    3 - 45001 EXP
    4 - 75001 EXP
    5 - 115001 EXP

Thank You,
    bn
wccrawford