Available on Google PlayApp Store

Why an "I do not know" option is absolutely crucial to this site.

First of all, I just recently joined this site. Therefore, if the suggestion I'm proposing already exists in one form or another, then I apologize in advance.

1) The problem: During practice and tests, an "I do not know" option does not exist.

2) Why this is a problem: To advance past a question, you must select one of four answers. Assuming you have absolutely no idea, you still have a 25% chance of selecting the correct answer. To add insult to injury, many questions exist wherein you come to know what the answer is via the process of elimination (3 of the 4 choices are clearly wrong). As a result, you label something as "correct" without really knowing the material to begin with.

Generally speaking, our goal here is TO LEARN. It does not do you any good in the long run if you pass a kanji/vocabulary that you do not honestly know or comprehend. This site has an amazing function that compiles and quizzes you on "weak kanji/vocabulary" that you may stumble upon. We need to be able to maximize this opportunity by being able to send k/v here directly.

3a) The pseudo-solution #1: You can purposely choose the wrong answer and this would send the term to the "weak kanji/vocabulary list". You're then aware of its existence and can proceed to work on it. However, this only works assuming you know a wrong answer exists. If you're utterly clueless between the four choices, this does not help you as you still have that aforementioned 25%.

3b) The pseudo-solution #2: Regardless of the outcome, write it down on a notebook. With this, you're able to take note of what you need to work on as well as practice writing. The only downside to this is that you do not get to fully utilize this website's "weak kanji/vocabulary list".

4) The actual solution: Implement an "I do not know" option during practice and tests.
posted by trapruka

Comments 13

• SloanAkira
    SloanAkira
    I understand. But, that's why I picked wrong answers on purpose. And I do use notebook. Just send them to weak list. "I do not Know" option will act as same function anyway. So... what's the problem? Oh right, ranking is so important these days -rolls eyes- I like this site because it keeps me exposing to kanjis till I am familiar with it and it does show hiragana at the same time. But I do wish it would give us the option to eliminate multiple choices.
  • trapruka
    trapruka
    >I understand. But, that's why I picked wrong answers on purpose.

"However, this only works assuming you know a wrong answer exists. If you're utterly clueless between the four choices, this does not help you as you still have that aforementioned 25%."

>So... what's the problem? Oh right, ranking is so important these days -rolls eyes-

I wasn't hinting at ranking at all. I could care less about that.

"This site has an amazing function that compiles and quizzes you on "weak kanji/vocabulary" that you may stumble upon. We need to be able to maximize this opportunity by being able to send k/v here directly. "
  • SloanAkira
    SloanAkira
    >>"However, this only works assuming you know a wrong answer exists. If you're utterly clueless between the four choices, this does not help you as you still have that aforementioned 25%."

you must be really bad at picking up the pattern. tekeke, I never had problem knowing for sure one answer is completely wrong. It always written out funky. Well I wish you good luck. There's plenty of free japanese lessons that suit your needs better. がんばってヾ(*´∇`)ノ
  • trapruka
    trapruka
    >you must be really bad at picking up the pattern. tekeke, I never had problem knowing for sure one answer is completely wrong.

That's exactly the problem. There shouldn't be a pattern for people who can discern it as such. This leads to the process of elimination to get to (or in this case, not get to) the answer.

Also, can you package your responses without being so passive-aggressive?
    No, it's not a rhetoric.
  • voidSkipper
    voidSkipper
    賛成

This has been annoying me as well. Most other sites have it, so I don't see why this one wouldn't.
  • beeant
    beeant
    so just add an I don't know button on the practice,
    and after you click the I don't know button
    it will prompt you if you want to add to note or skip it. (your wrong points will increase if you add if you click I don't know button, hence added to weak list),

will this be ok?
  • trapruka
    trapruka
    Yeah, that would be great, beeant.
    It's refreshing to see an admin actually take an interactive approach with the community.
  • SloanAkira
    SloanAkira
    It seems like you're saying pattern is bad idea. A baby learns a lot through picking up clues and patterns that will allow it grow faster later on. This site isn't for advanced learning. I think his site is for users who have been exposed to Japanese already.

>>Also, can you package your responses without being so passive-aggressive?

I think people would have to 'work' more or harder in order to learn a language. I would think a person be more devoted rather than complaining. That is all. No negativity intended.

I have what, 10 different sources to learn japanese. Some for confirmation. Some good for one thing, other good for other thing.
  • trapruka
    trapruka
    When I spoke of patterns, I was referring to my aforementioned point regarding the process of elimination within certain questions (wherein the answers are so blatantly obvious regardless of your knowledge of the question).
    ie. Q: 食べる
    A1: ほん A2: としょかん A3:たべる A4: ひと
    That's what I was referring to.

To be honest, I think you're just conjuring up irrelevant things at this point to save face.
    It's quite painful and embarrassing to read.
    I'll commend you for successfully derailing the thread, though.
  • Arkv
    Arkv
    lol
  • trapruka
    trapruka
    I know right.
  • etaoin
    etaoin
    Yea, or have a test where you have to type in the answer :) Then you really have to know it
  • maxime1007
    maxime1007
    @etaoin: I'll be in for actually both.

Needless to say that some grammar course where you have to chose the appropriate particle / conjugate verbs / etc could be awesome as well.
trapruka