Available on Google PlayApp Store

Newcomer Here!

Well, I found this site today and decided to join so I thought I would introduce myself!

My name is Isaac, I'm a 17 year old guy, and I live in Georgia, US.
I've been learning Japanese for a while now using Anime and Ken Cannon's lessons so I know a thing or two but not much Kanji.
I was hoping to find some people to share learning/ memorization techniques with, or just some friends to talk to :)
posted by Three_Days

Comments 29

• Medyrius
    Medyrius
    Yo!
    I see u have Kirito as profile picture, so I guess u must be a cool guy ;)
    I'll have u know one thing though, ASUNA IS MINE AND MINE ALONE!
    Just kidding :P

I'm med, yoroshiku.
    I'm not sure I can help for learning tips but I'm always on for a little chitchat in japanese, it's very good practice ^_^
    Welcome on board ;)
  • Three_Days
    Three_Days
    Nice to meet you! I just recently discovered SAO but I haven't been able to stop watching it xD I'm about halfway through with it, I think.

Got any Anime/ Manga suggestions?
  • Medyrius
    Medyrius
    Unfortunately I'm not into anime since too long, and the most I'm watching right now is maybe a bit old, I was suggested SAO myself, just to tell u, so...
    I'll give u some anyway, but I'm pretty sure u'll have already watched'em : Ao no exorcist, Fate, Steins;gate, Samurai champloo.

Sore jya ;)
  • Three_Days
    Three_Days
    ありがとう!
    I haven't seen those, but I'll be sure to watch them.
    Have you seen AnoHana? I started watching it yesterday and I'm already 7 episodes into it, haha.
    It's really good so far.
  • Medyrius
    Medyrius
    Thx! People comments are very good about it, I'll watch it for sure!
    Besides it's a shorty anime ^^ (11 eps)
  • Three_Days
    Three_Days
    Yeah, I kind of like shorter anime but it always makes me sad when I finish them. :/
    I wish I could erase my memory of them and watch them for the fist time again!
  • Medyrius
    Medyrius
    That'd be so GREAT!! *o*
  • Three_Days
    Three_Days
    I finished AnoHana yesterday, the end is really good, but also very sad.
    I'm definitely gonna watch it again at some point lol.
  • Medyrius
    Medyrius
    That's what I like with short animes, u're sure to find enough time to watch'em over & over ^^
  • Three_Days
    Three_Days
    True, even though Death Note is a bit longer I've watched it quite a few times.
  • Medyrius
    Medyrius
    Really!?
    To be honest, if I don't watch Death Note over it's becuz I don't want to see them die again, I mean, L & Kira, both of them ^^
  • Three_Days
    Three_Days
    I pretty much never cry but I cried when they died :/

I just love the whole story in Death Note, It has a pretty complex plot/ story and there aren't many anime like that.
  • Medyrius
    Medyrius
    Yea totally! I wonder if i'll ever watch an anime like that. I mean an anime that'd make me feel that way...
    It's just crazy how they managed to make the watchers feel so involved. And it was not just when they died but pretty much every time...
    Though I don't remember crying, I did feel kind of weird at some points...

Ne, I've watched ep. 1 of Ano hana and I liked it!
    Do u know more animes that I may like?
  • Three_Days
    Three_Days
    Yeah, and it was very well animated too, it has a lot of detail, and a lot of times it looks real. It's a very beautiful anime haha.

As far as anime suggestions, I'll name off what I've watched, or am in the middle of watching, even though you've probably watched a lot of them.

Full Metal Alchemist
    Black Butler
    High School Of The Dead
    School Days
    Bleach
    Blood+
    Naruto (of course :P)
    Elfen Lied (I'm reading the manga but I haven't watched any of the anime yet)
    Spice and Wolf

If I think of some more I'll let you know for sure.
  • Medyrius
    Medyrius
    Oh thx so much! I've only watched 3 in this lit : Fullmetal Alchemist, Bleach & Naruto (of course ^^)
    U're wrong to think that i know so many animes. I'm still a beginner ;)
    So u're not watching one piece?
  • Three_Days
    Three_Days
    No problem! I've only been watching anime for about 8 months now so I guess I could be considered a beginner too haha.

No, I've heard it's really good but I haven't gotten around to watching it yet, maybe the number of episodes there are, and knowing they are still making more scares me into not watching it :P
  • Medyrius
    Medyrius
    LOL, I thought exactly the same!
    But it's really worth the sacrifice... It took me a half year to catch up, but it's the only thing that I was watching, so...
    Hey, do u have a profile in MyanimeList.net? It's quite convinient...
  • Three_Days
    Three_Days
    I think I'll start watching it tomorrow! It's not like there's a limit to how many anime I watch haha.

I didn't but I just made one! I was actually just thinking that I wish I had a way to keep up with what anime I had watched and how many episodes into it I was. Thanks for mentioning it!

Oh, and I started watching Clannad, it seems pretty good.
  • Medyrius
    Medyrius
    The synopsis is attractive, clannad goes right into my wait list, thx for info ;)
    What's your username in MAL so I can add u as friend?
  • Three_Days
    Three_Days
    Yeah a lot of people that liked AnoHana recommend Clannad so I figured it must be good.

My username is Three_Days, I use that for just about everything haha.
  • jakelong00
    jakelong00
    Since you guys were talking about anime i thought i might give a suggestion of "code geass". It has a real good plot and is neither too long nor too short.
  • Three_Days
    Three_Days
    Awesome! Thanks for the suggestion, I'll put it on my watch list.
  • Medyrius
    Medyrius
    Seems good! thx ^^
    It's funny I've run into more anime suggestions this past week than ever in my life. Result : my wait list's becoming a mini book...
  • Three_Days
    Three_Days
    haha mine too, I love it though, I'll never be bored with all these great anime suggestions :D
  • Peacherine
    Peacherine
    ^_^ Since you're talking about good anime, I figured I'd jump in too. For the shows that have already been mentioned here, I also love Ao no Exorcist, Steins;Gate, and Naruto (also of course! XD )

Here are some recommendations from me (some may be slightly shoujo-y, but if you liked AnoHana [such a sad show... (; _ ;)] it's probably okay!

★Monster (a mystery series that's like reading a book as you watch... it's so detailed and intense! Basically, a doctor has to choose who to save, a young boy with a potentially fatal gun wound, or an important mayor. He chooses the boy. Unfortunately, many years later, he finds out maybe he should have picked differently. He is wrongly accused of murder and has to go on the run, searching out the truth behind what becomes an enormous underground story, all revolving around that boy he saved...)

★Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles and xxxHolic (okay, I actually don't recommend the anime of these series. But read them! They are separate series, but intertwine together. Read them many times. They are so good.)

★Ouran High School Host Club (both the anime and live action drama made me laugh endlessly, but the manga really is the best, without a doubt!)

★Puella Madoka Magika Shoujo (on the surface, a magical girl show with unusually interesting background art. You soon find out it's not all pretty though... it's really a dark show, and it was super popular.)

★The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (another hilarious show. It's narrated by an apathetic high school boy as he gets drug along into the ridiculous world of Haruhi, his classmate, and also possibly the god shaping the world how she sees fit. There's never a dull moment around her! You should look into the episodes on wiki or something first though, to make sure you're watching them in the right order.)

★Psycho Pass (a currently running series that's REALLY good. It's about a futuristic society in Japan where a system determines peoples' aptitudes for careers, and their likelihood of committing crimes. Everything they do is watched. Crime is almost non-existant, until someone starts finding ways to fool the system...)

★Shirokuma Cafe (a comedy show following a polar bear, panda bear, and penguin as well as the other animal/human cast as they go about their daily life and run into silly problems. A very light show, good for when you want a laugh or something you can watch whenever and not worry about forgetting what's happening.)

★Angel Beats! (a short series that I guess could be compared to AnoHana. The main character wakes up without his memories and finds out he's already dead. The world he's in is a sort of in-between place where young people go when they die to sort of come to terms with things before they move on for good. However, a group of them hasn't accepted their deaths and has decided to fight back against the god of this world... a great mix of comedy, action, and tear-jerking moments.)

★Natsume Yuujinchou (so far, four short seasons. A high school boy has always had the ability to see youkai spirits. He's torn because others don't believe him and he's been bullied since he was little. He inherits a book of many youkai's names from his grandmother and vows to return them all [essentially returning their power back to them.] The series focuses on his relationships with his friends and family, and him coming to terms with his abilities. A very calm show, with lots of funny parts. One of my favorites~ [and if you like this show, watch the movie Hotarubi no Mori e, made by the same person])

★Mushishi (a really different show. It's very calm and peaceful. I feel like I'm in that world when I watch it. It follows Ginko, a Mushishi, as he travels and solves problems for people that involve mushi, a sort of very primitive, simple spirit. I wouldn't say there's any overarching plot or anything, but the episodes are usually self-contained and interesting. The music is also really nice~)

★Kara no Kyoukai (This is actually a series of 8 movies. It's got incredible music and is really well illustrated. I'd sort it as mystery/psychological/horror/supernatural. It follows Shiki, a girl who has Shinigami eyes and the power to fight demons. She's very cold and emotionless, except when it comes to her friend, Kokutou. The two of them work together to take care of incidents involving demons. There's a lot more deep backstory that goes along with the series too, and it's really a captivating series. The episodes intentionally skip around the timeline though, so keep that in mind.)

And if you're looking for wonderful movies, watch anything by Studio Ghibli:
    Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle, Ponyo, Laputa, Princess Mononoke, etc...

or anything by Makoto Shinkai (these are all tear-jerkers too):
    Hoshi o Ou Kodomo, 5cm per second, The Place Promised in Our Early Days, Voices of a Distant Star

or other good ones:
    ・Paprika
    ・Brave Story
    ・Hotarubi no Mori e
    ・The Girl Who Leapt Through Time

♡❤♡ so many good shows... I want to rewatch them all! Let me know if you watch any, what you think!
  • Medyrius
    Medyrius
    Whoa! It's some big cake we have here *o*
    I'm glad I don't know any of these though, just heard of Monster, and choudo oboemashita, it wasn't in my wait list yet ^^

Hontou ni arigatou yo, Peacherine, never had such a huge and detailed anime recommendation ;)
  • Peacherine
    Peacherine
    (✿◠‿◠) どういたしまして、メディリウスさん!
  • Three_Days
    Three_Days
    Thanks for the suggestions! I've heard of some of these but I haven't watched any of them. :D

Monster sounds really good and so does Psycho Pass, so I'll watch those first, but eventually I'll try and watch all of them!
  • Peacherine
    Peacherine
    Monster is kind of slow going though, I must admit. It's 70-some episodes. Like I said, it's like a novel more than a fast-paced typical show. But I think it's really interesting anyway : )

Definitely watch Psycho Pass, yes!

(^v^) I'm glad you'll watch some!
Three_Days