Available on Google PlayApp Store

Help with convincing for becoming an exchange student!

I really really really want to be able to go for a year to exchange in Japan. My first problem is, convincing my parents. They don't want to let me go for my safety. I showed them how safe Japan was and that there shouldn't be nothing to worry about. Then my mother proceeded to tell me that she was worried if an emergency would happen and that she couldn't simply go see me there. (15 hours in a plane) I tried explaining that there were medical insurances and the whole bunch included in the program but she just wouldn't hear me out. I'm a very responsible student and I wouldn't be going until my last year of high school, so I'd be 17. I'm planning on having a chat with both of them soon, but I'm running out of ideas. It's my dream to go there!
Does anyone have any other ideas of how I can convince them? Also, it doesn't just have to do with safety, it can be anything in order to change their mind pretty much.

That's the reason why I'm trying my best to learn this language!
Thanks in advance!
posted by sheibakelly

Comments 3

• Yuuzuki
    Yuuzuki
    I think as long as it's well planned.....you have emergency contacts on this side, you know where you are staying and you have enough money to keep you going for the whole trip etc.

Safety level depends on the area. Ibaraki, Fukushima etc get a lot of earthquakes and there is the chance of tsunami if you are staying near the coast.

I was an exchange student in Saitama for a year when I was 23 and I've been working in Japan (currently Tokyo) since I was 25.
    So it's not impossible, even if you're young. :3
  • dolphin1528
    dolphin1528
    1) Keep bugging them - this way they know how sure you are that you want to go. 2) Ask your parents to meet informally with your Japanese teacher so that they can vouch for your Japanese skills and how dedicated you are to learning the language and culture. 3) Try and get some pen pals over in Japan so you can say that you'd know some people over there. 4) Make pen pals with Japanese students in your home country, and introduce them to your parents. It doesn't hurt if they tell your parents how much better people they are now they have the skills and knowledge to be so independent and well-travelled. 5) Worst case scenario: "Would you rather I go to Japan for study purposes, or to Amsterdam for a long vacation?"
  • Reuenthal
    Reuenthal
    I Like PIE!
sheibakelly