Available on Google PlayApp Store

Need some advice!!

こんいちわ!!

( jfc i hope that was right haha )

well anyway. I am new to this website and I've been studying weeks of hiragana. Call me a slow learner haha, but i would say i'm pretty much memorized on it. as you can see i know nothing of kanji or katakana and honestly i'm confused on which path to take! various Japanese resources have told me to start with one or the other.
honestly, which on do y'all think i should pick??
posted by sadisticiism

Comments 6

• lawliets
    lawliets
    You should definitely learn Katakana before learning Kanji.
  • JQKAndrei
    JQKAndrei
    I believe the correct form is こんにちわ

I replaced んい with んに so that there's the double "n"
  • sadisticiism
    sadisticiism
    alrriigghttyy thank you very much!! and thank you for the correction as well uwu
  • mog86uk
    mog86uk
    こんにちは (kon'nichi wa). It might help to type the ん kana as n' to make sure the に kana following it doesn't get written wrong. It is written this way in romaji sometimes anyway.

And don't forget to type the "wa" sound on the end of the word as "ha". This is because that last kana derives from the "wa" topic particle which is written は.

And yeah, I'd also get katakana out of the way first before moving onto kanji. Once you've learnt katakana, then at least you'll be able to say you know kana (hiragana and katakana), which is essentially knowing the Japanese alphabet. There's no need to get kana down perfectly before moving on, but need to know it enough that you won't be struggling on every letter of every word you come across. You'll naturally get much better at kana over time.

Kanji is completely different to kana. It's nothing like an alphabet at all, and it will take many many years, lol...
  • Xiffy
    Xiffy
    Yeah^^ you'll be learning kanji for the rest of your life, so there's no rush to learning them all as quick as you can, repetitive learning helps a lot with Kanji, also placing kanji in a sentence seems to help a lot for me.. as the readings can and probably will get extremely confusing.
  • utahron
    utahron
    I agree with most posted here. Once you master Hiragana, you need the comparison of Katakana to go along with it. You will notice that many words will be written just in katakana and have become accepted that way. Anything that derives from a foreign source would be in katakana.

がんばって ね!
sadisticiism