Available on Google PlayApp Store

Can't change my country in settings.

I can change everything under except my country. The country keeps defaulting to France. I've been trying with just any country but nothing works. I wanted to select Spain but I guess I'm stuck as a Frenchman for now.
posted by HikkiNK

Comments 12

• A3agnos
    A3agnos
    You are living in France right now?
    The country changes deepending on where your IP adress seems to be.
  • Codewolke
    Codewolke
    Noticed the same for me... it automatically selects your country based on your computers IP address, which is quite accurate. So it does not let you tell where you are from, but rather where you are at the moment.
  • HikkiNK
    HikkiNK
    I've been in Spain for more than ten years. Well, this computer hasn't left Spain during that time, ever.
    And the 'myip' style sites locate me correctly. It shouldn't be a problem on my end.
    I don't understand why have an option to choose country if it just randomly decides to use your location, albeit completely wrong.
  • HikkiNK
    HikkiNK
    Welp. It appears that it actively checks your location. I remembered I had TunnelBear installed. So I tunneled to Spain and it changed automatically, but when I closed the program, it went back to me being in France.
  • beeant
    beeant
    So everything is good now? Yes you're right, it may seem weird to have country selection while it automatically set your current location, but the country selection is used when your current location is not recognized by the IP address database.
  • HikkiNK
    HikkiNK
    It's not solved. I'm still a Frenchman when I'm not using a VPN. Every other website locates me in Spain. Kinda weird. Welp, will think about it tomorrow, maybe. I'm too tired right now. 寝る時間だ。おやすみなさい。
  • mog86uk
    mog86uk
    http://software77.net/geo-ip/
    This link has an up-to-date country list IP database. On the right side of the page where it says "Country IP listing", pick your country and set it to x.x.x.x-y.y.y.y format. With this you will be able to find the IP address block that your IP address is within.

The country JCJP detects occasionally does not match that database for a few unlucky users. I've had it say I was in Italy a few times in the past, and several other users have mentioned the same problem as this. So it seems that maybe the country list IP database which JCJP uses is not kept very up-to-date?
  • HikkiNK
    HikkiNK
    I'm shown as in France in that website as well. I don't understand what you mean with 'With this you will be able to find the IP address block that your IP address is within'. I selected Spain and that format but that just shows me a lot of random IPs. Every other site locates me in Spain, usually correctly, but sometimes gets the city wrong.

I don't know how to fix this.
    : (
  • beeant
    beeant
    @mog86uk
    yes I haven't been updating the ip database. I will update it once I'm done with the new practice spaced repetition algorithm, or maybe sooner.

@HikkiNK
    As for now, the country shown for your country is based on the priority order of your real IP address then your selection. I can switch the priority to be the other way around, but what do you think? which one is better?
    As for now, are you under static IP connection? Usually a home internet provider gives a dynamic IP address. In order for you to get a new IP address for your connection, you can try to reconnect your internet connection from your provider.
  • HikkiNK
    HikkiNK
    I think it would be better to have the option to choose the country that is shown. For example, I was born in Russia but I've been living in Spain for the past 14 years. I may want to choose Russia as my country, albeit I want to choose Spain right now because I feel more Spanish than Russian. And I'm sure some people use this website while travelling.

It would be even better if you could choose your own country or choose to let it select it for you based on your location (if it worked correctly).

As for the IP, I think it's set to static IP because I used a second router connected by an Ethernet cable as a repeater to extend our WiFi coverege at home. Don't want to mess around with that because it took me a while to make it work correctly.
  • Arachkid
    Arachkid
    Just think of it not as the flag of the country you identify with, but where you are. Don't get too hung up on it.
  • HikkiNK
    HikkiNK
    I don't care much about it, just that I like things being right, and as it is, the system is not working correctly.
HikkiNK