Available on Google PlayApp Store

The Best Japanese Learning App for desktops

Minnasan! (spelling?)

I am looking for an app that will
act as a dictionary (for when I type in kanji/romanji)
has pronunciation of words
has the ability for me to study words (including the option to only study WRONGS or certain cards I would like to study).
And is available for PCs.

The only application I know that is somewhat similar to this is Tagaini Jisho. But there's no pronunciation, and the study section is not user-friendly, and it doesn't let me study wrongs only.

Any suggestions?
posted by rukiblood

Comments 7

• Lilgenski
    Lilgenski
    This might not help but i use http://jisho.org/ for my japanese dictionary its really good
  • fuonk
    fuonk
    皆 can be pronounced both ways-- みんな (mi-n-na) and みな (mi-na). When さん (san) is added, though, it is always pronounced みなさん (mi-na-sa-n).
  • fuonk
    fuonk
    By the way, "romanji" is a misspelling. The Japanese word is ローマ字; there is no 'n' sound. ローマ (ro-o-ma) means Rome, and 字 (ji) means letters or characters. English spellings often ignore the long vowel sounds in Japanese, so the usual English spelling is "romaji". (Note that both 'o' sounds in "Tokyo" are actually long; the spelling of the city's name in hiragana is とうきょう (to-u-kyo-u), meaning "east capital".)
  • fuonk
    fuonk
    I strongly recommend the free dictionary program zkanji:
    http://zkanji.sourceforge.net/download.php
    It is packed with more useful learning features than you can shake a stick at. Unfortunately, there is no help file, so many of the learning features can only be discovered by persistent use.
  • Mitsukii
    Mitsukii
    I also recommend Zkanji. I've been using it for three years and I have to say that most of what I've learned from Japanese it's thanks to that dictionary.
    You can see the information of a kanji, its strokes, radicals, similar kanjis, readings (of course), jlpt classification, and I could go on. You can search kanjis by radicals or if you draw it, it will appear (if you've drawn it right, if not it will suggest the kanji). Also, the frequency of a word, example sentences (one of my favorite features), and again jlpt classification. You can test the words you've picked.
    The only feature that you're requiring but isn't in Zkanji, it's the pronunciation of words. But to make up for that, I recommend you use Forvo.com, you can hear words pronounced by natives.
  • fuonk
    fuonk
    I just want to mention a couple of features of zkanji that Mitsukiiさん didn't mention.
    (1) It contains stroke by stroke animations showing how to write most of the kanji.
    (2) If you type an inflected form of a verb or adjective into the dictionary, it will not only tell you the dictionary form of the verb, but also what inflection you typed. So, for example, if you type さむくなかった (samukunakatta), the dictionary will tell you that that is the negative, past form of the adjective さむい (samui). If you type たべられない (taberarenai), the dictionary will tell you that that is the negative potential or passive form of the verb たべる (taberu).
    The example sentences are from the Tanaka corpus. It's convenient to have them easily available, but you can usually find more informative example sentences in the Eijirou online dictionary ( http://eow.alc.co.jp/ ).
  • rukiblood
    rukiblood
    ありがとうみなさん!I am downloading it きょう!
rukiblood