Available on Google PlayApp Store

Minna-san konnichiwa!

Hi guys. This forum seems to be all over the place. I didn't want to dig through all the past threads because I know it will take me a while. I recently came back from Japan and I was frustrated not by the fact that most Japanese cannot speak English but it's the fact that I can't speak Japanese. I would've made friends with the randomthe people I met who were all very nice. I wanted to express to them how much I love Japan.

Anyway...I'm going back to my Japanese lessons again. I quit after two weeks because I didn't feel motivated. Going to Japan has spurred me on again to learn the language.

My question is, if anybody can help, I am an absolute beginner here, I want to know how to go about these lessons. It's not as "basic" as I thought. Should I learn hiragana/katakana/kanji first before I even start with the lessons?

Arigatou!
posted by Kitsuna

Comments 4

• mog86uk
    mog86uk
    Japan sounds like an awesome place. Hopefully I'm able to go there too someday.

For lessons on here, you won't get very far without first having a reasonable grasp of hiragana and katakana. This site seems mainly aimed at people who've learnt a little of the basics already, but the hiragana and katakana 'practice' on the lessons page isn't too bad.

In a very recent thread, "Help with learning.", I gave some suggestions and a couple of links to sites that should help with learning hiragana and katakana.

Ganbare~
  • Kitsuna
    Kitsuna
    Thanks so much, mog86uk! I shall spend a few days/weeks learning the hira and kata. ^_^ Gambatte to me. wuwu

Yes, Japan is such a beautiful country, everything about it is sheer poetry. You have to make it there one day. I blogged almost everyday about our trip, posting photos and explaining the history of some of the places we went. My friends and family who've read it felt like they were traveling with us. :-)
  • kekkou
    kekkou
    Well, I am not a native Japanese speaker, but try Youtube. Search under "Japanese grammar" or "conversational Japanese". My Youtube videos are in English, and some are written in Japanese. Youtube username is brianlovesmba, Facebook username is briankens. I'm still learning Japanese grammar (e.g.,when to use wa or ga or ya in sentences), but I am familiar with dozens of Japanese words and phrases. And study the Practice lessons on this site after Hiragana and Katakana.
  • kekkou
    kekkou
    Also click on my page and choose the "Notes" button below the blue line. I added some basic Japanese words and phrases. Good luck!
Kitsuna