Available on Google PlayApp Store

I just need some piece of advice and some friends?

Hi guys~
I just started learning Japanese like 2 weeks ago..
and i can read/write hiragana and katakana pretty fast now...
Then i started learning some Kanjis and im following Heigs RTK method using mnemonics... I'm learning pretty fast like 25 Kanjis a day on my Anki but while practicing here.. i just noticed that im doing it the wrong way.. I end up recognizing the Kanji and knowing ONLY its meaning but i still cant read it.. and when im ask for on-yomi/kun-yomi reading, ill end up finding it on a dictionary lol..

So my question is how should i learn Kanji? or should i master vocabulary since i'll still learn Kanji through them? or should i start with phrases? or with grammar? or should i just continue my learning with mnemonics?
what is the best step-up from learning Kana?

I'm really looking for a more efficient way to learn japanese..
I hope u guys could help me~

also I'm looking for some friends where we could share each others progress, resources, methods and also to practice our japanese...
Feel free to shoot me some email ([email protected]) so we could learn together..
Thanks ^^

PS: Sorry for my bad english... I hope i explained myself properly lol xD
posted by meeka

Comments 5

• mog86uk
    mog86uk
    I'd say you're doing it the sensible way already, focusing on learning the meanings not the readings when learning kanji. When would someone ask you what the on/kun reading of a kanji is?

When you learn new vocabulary, the main thing you need to do is just match the word's sound to its meaning, but also pay attention to the kanji used in the words. When you have learned a lot of Japanese words, your mind should start picking up readings of kanji and automatically work out whether it's on/kun, so long as you understand some of the basic rules of onyomi vs kunyomi.
    http://lingwiki.com/index.php?title=On_vs._Kun_readings

It's probably unlikely you'll have a Japanese text containing lots of vocabulary you haven't yet learnt (and without furigana), that you'll need to read the text out loud to someone or an audience? This is the only real time you would need to have learnt on/kun readings separately, and even then it would be difficult to know exactly which on/kun reading to pronounce it as.

When you are alone reading Japanese, all you really need to be able to do is recognise Japanese vocabulary which you've learnt. And you can use your knowledge of the meanings of kanji to take a guess at what the words you haven't learnt probably mean. You don't really need to be able to speak the sound of the words to yourself, just understand what the words means. Knowing the on/kun readings of kanji is still very helpful for recognising words, as you might recognise many words better from their sounds than their kanji compound meaning.

When you are writing Japanese on a computer, you just write the vocabulary words the way you would speak them, and then pick the correct kanji from the list which pops up. Knowing the meanings of the kanji is far more important than knowing the readings in this situation.

Basically, this site should help with your vocabularly, especially when making regular use of the 'Practice' feature. After a while, try turning off 'show kana' in the Practice settings--doing this and struggling on through it helped me a lot. :)
  • rinkuhero
    rinkuhero
    you are going to constantly 'learn' the kanji and then forget them, unless you keep the memory active by using the knowledge constantly. several times over the last 20 years i've learned all of the kanji, only to forget most of them over the next few years, only remembering a few. so my advice would be, once you've learned them, try to keep them in practice, otherwise it's easy to forget them after 6 months or a year or two have passed.
  • meeka
    meeka
    @mog86uk
    Thank you so much for your response~
    I guess im doing the right way lol.. i just got worried when i took the chapter quiz on Kanji here since it ask for the reading instead of the meaning... i was like "ah its day/sun but how do you read this *picks up my phone to check on dictionary*" thats why i got worried that i might learning it the wrong way xD.. but i guess its fine to continue on what im previously doing...

you're right I really find this site helpful in terms of vocabulary (not so much on its Kanji since its in different order than RTK).. also thanks for the advice.. I dont know that you could remove the kana on practice settings lol.. Thanks a lot~ and also that link is pretty helpful.. i learned new things from it~

Well i guess i still have a long way to learn japanese...
    oh by the way one last question... Is it better to learn the Kanji first? or i should proceed on vocab already? or should i do both like 15 kanji then 10 vocab per day? any suggestion?

anyway Thanks again ^^
    ありがとうございます!

@rinkuhero
    Thank you for your advice~
    yes, you're right... gladly anki is pretty much helpful in terms of making me remember what i already studied.. but still it needs constant review... I'll also try to write them so i could remember them well ^^

ありがとうございます!
  • Dirk
    Dirk
    @meeka: Don't learn the readings in isolation, learn the words (and the readings together with the words). If you know the meaning, then the Kunyomi is usually not a problem. There's often several Onyomi, so you need to recognize the word anyway before you can choose the right reading (though often you can guess). Don't forget to learn the phonetic rules how sounds change when put together. Also, learn the radicals (at least some); many Kanji contain a "phonetic" part that describes the reading (or sometimes the reading as it was in Chinese, which has been changed in Japanese, so it's only similar).

I found that following these steps allow me to learn quicker, but of course one can replace everything by enough rote learning. :-)
  • meeka
    meeka
    @Dirk
    Thank you so much for your advice~
    I'll always keep that in mind..
    I hope i learn them well ne..
    But I still have a long way to go ~
meeka