Available on Google PlayApp Store

Translation help please. 1 sentence:)

高校生のとき 日本語を べんきょうしたかったですか。

I have translated it to these alternatives:

1. When you were in high school did you study japanese?

2. Did you want to study japanese in highschool?

ore are both of them wrong?
what is correct? and please explain why.

This is the last preparation question for my final exam, and i am struggling with translating it...
I am supposed to have a conversation about this topic, so i prefer to know what i am being asked :p

Thank you in advance ^^
posted by Navi

Comments 14

• black_cat
    black_cat
    I think "When you were in high school, did you want studying Japanese?".
    高校生のとき ー when you were highschooler
    日本語をーnothing to comment here
    べんきょうしたかったー past form of 勉強したい. Hence
  • Xiffy
    Xiffy
    I don't know the first few words but from nihongo, benkyou is to learn/study, shitai is to want something, katta makes it past tense. I don't know what the desu would be doing there though. But yeah, "did you want to study japanese in highschool" or regularly in highschool, idk unless the first part dramatically changes it >_> YAY Translations by noobs /o/
  • black_cat
    black_cat
    勉強したかったか。ーpast form of べんきょうしたい, hence - did you *want* to study.
  • Xiffy
    Xiffy
    Wouldn't it be したかったますか? As Masu means something is doing something, where's desu means something is something.. I think xD
  • Navi
    Navi
    Thank you ^^ And issent ますか a polite versjon of ですか ? :p
  • Navi
    Navi
    I am not sure XD
  • black_cat
    black_cat
    勉強したいー acts as adjective because of たい So 勉強したかったですか (which I did not manage to retype fully in my previous post) makes perfect sense and is polite.
  • Navi
    Navi
    Ok Thank you very much :D

• kekkou
    kekkou
    I have to say the second one. My understanding is that したかった means "I wanted to do (that)". した by itself means "did that or accomplished that (already)".
  • Xiffy
    Xiffy
    You're forgetting the ka at the end which indicates a question.
  • Xiffy
    Xiffy
    No, masu as I explained is used for doing words, where's desu is explaining that 'something' is something e.g "I am(desu) okay". Masu = "I am(masu) walking"
  • Arachkid
    Arachkid
    It's the second. Did you would be しましたか or したか.

NOT that I'm indicating trust should be put in Google Translate at all for the most part, but... https://translate.google.com/#en/ja/wanted to
  • mog86uk
    mog86uk
    For a second you guys actually made me question whether it's possible to conjugate the ~ます ending to ~ましたい, lol! Just in case anyone really doesn't already know: that is definitely NOT possible. My brain was just offline for a few seconds... xD
  • Navi
    Navi
    Thank you :D Japanese is so confusing to me. Can't wait until the day i get good at this! :p
Navi

Other Threads by Navi