Available on Google PlayApp Store

Funny Japanese Greetings/phrases thread?! (Maybe fixed)

So I heard this one from Clash of Clans I play often, instead of saying Konbanwa 「こんばんは~こんばんわ」 Someone said KonbanWAN 「こんばんワン」with a cute lil doge emoji. as konbanwa = good evening and WAN is the noise a doggy makes, i think it sounded kinda cute, and to this day I use it ( ;∀;) (also had a few funny conversations on CoC from it lmao) I don't think it roughly translates to anything else but a cute way to say konbanwa. (maybe woof evening LOL)

I heard another one on an anime I forget the name (maybe Kanon) where the girl greeted her brother with nyaning as in morning or good morning i don't know o. o.

Is there anything else like this?! or any other sort of play on words would be cool.
posted by Xiffy

Comments 11

• black_cat
    black_cat
    not really play of words but saying「ピョン」instrad of 「です」、 which is onomatopeia for bounce. there ia lot of this in visual novels i.e. steins;gate, nyan.
  • mog86uk
    mog86uk
    I think you're after this video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bsk2ioK0Lrg

[spoiler]

こんにちワン
    ありがとウサギ (うさぎ = rabbit)
    ごちそうさマウス
    こんばんワニ (わに = crocodile)
    さようなライオン
    おはよウナギ (うなぎ = eel)
    いただきマウス
    いってきまスカンク
    ただいマンボウ (まんぼう = sunfish)
    ごちそうさマウス
    おやすみなサイ (さい = rhinoceros)

I know it's probably not quite what you meant, but this video is kinda famous. Surprised nobody mentioned it already. :D
  • Arachkid
    Arachkid
    One of the actual "good" AC commercials out there. Is it famous outside of Japan? I've never stumbled upon it on the web, only saw it on TV.
  • Xiffy
    Xiffy
    AC commercials?
  • Arachkid
    Arachkid
    AC Japan, or Advertising Council Japan. They make public service announcements. During the period following the 2011 earthquake, tsunami, etc, there was a time when normal advertisers did not put their ads on because they thought people would think it insensitive, and so AC basically spammed all the open commercial spots. So you'd see the above commercial with about 5 others promoting values of Japan repeatedly through the day.
  • mog86uk
    mog86uk
    @Arachkid, 'famous' was probably not the right word, but it seemed pretty well known amongst English people learning Japanese, atleast those living in Japan. It was put online and watched by millions... For some bizarre reason it even seemed to turn into a meme, with loads of remixes and parodies being made for it... like this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsVRBjKs2ks

(probably should do your brain cells a favour and avoid watching that...) xD
  • mog86uk
    mog86uk
    @Xiffy, Watch some Japanese TV and you'll notice AC Japan commercials soon enough. ^^

NijiShow is what I use on my computer to watch Japanese TV, which has 11 major terestrial TV channels. It only works on Windows though. If you're interested, I mentined how to get this program in the forum, here:
    http://japaneseclass.jp/forum/thread/1231

If you decide to use it, make sure that the version you download says "2.1.6", because older versions listed on the site don't work even if you update.
  • Arachkid
    Arachkid
    That's dedication. I watch Japanese TV because I live in Japan and don't want to pay for TV, so it's what I can watch on my TV (plus my Japanese wife and in-laws are only used to it). For the most part, Japanese TV is so void of... anything... that I couldn't imagine seeking out ways to watch it from another country.
  • Arachkid
    Arachkid
    I prefer Japanese puns - or オヤジギャグ - personally.

Such as ね。。ちゃんとお風呂入る

Which is "Hey, are you properly taking a bath (on a daily basis)?

But if they answer in the affirmative, you say え!姉ちゃんとお風呂入る? "You (still) enter the bath with your older sister?"
  • mog86uk
    mog86uk
    @Arachkid, Haha. First time I've heard that one. I like it. :D

And yeah, Japanese TV is pretty dire a lot of the time, and I don't actually watch it all that often. There are way too many shows about food at the times I try to watch it (daytime TV). I do still enjoy many of the shows. It is interesting when they're filming outside at different locations around Japan and when they're speaking to regular Japanese people. I often look forward most to the adverts though! However I think most of the time I watch it purely for the immersion and just to test if I can manage keep up with what is being said at all. ^^;
  • Xiffy
    Xiffy
    I think I have nijishow already downloaded but I never really get much time to just sit and watch tv xD, and dat bath joke haaaa
Xiffy