Available on Google PlayApp Store

Search the forum and steam!

I was wondering if there was anyway to search what is in the forum other than just reading through all of the titles. If I search on the website bar I get the dictionary, users, themes, and readings but nothing about what is in the forum. As I can't figure it out I am posting here to see if anybody has a steam account with games in Japanese. I want to know what Japanese games you play and whether or not you think they are a helpful tool with reading practice while trying to relax.
posted by shirokitsune

Comments 5

• mog86uk
    mog86uk
    People already somehow manage to reply to five year old threads... but I think a search function would be nice. ^^

I haven't tried find games in Japanese on Steam. Sounds like a neat idea. However, if I wanted to play a game on my computer to learn Japanese, I would probably get back to doing some more Slime Forest Adventure! I guess SFA is only for kanji, not for general conversational reading practice though.
  • shirokitsune
    shirokitsune
    I am lucky and have the original Japanese NES and SNES thanks to my Japanese girlfriend. I also lucked out that all of her games are RPGs and give me tons of reading practice. I was just wondering if anybody found steam games as with the new memory space they can actually include Kanji that was impossible back in the day.
  • mog86uk
    mog86uk
    I have the original Japanese SNES game cartridge for Final Fantasy VI. If you happen to have FFVI, Chrono Trigger or Legend of Zelda, this page on one of the learning Japanese sites I like is nice and handy:
    http://kwhazit.ucoz.net/trans/index.html

I bought FFVI for my Android phone too (the 4th copy I've bought of that game, lol). The game language changes depending on your phone's system languge, so I set the system language to Japanese to play the game is in Japanese. I haven't played it much on my phone yet, and am not keen on how they changed the character sprites, but it works fairly well on the phone. ^^

I don't think the level of kanji usage is any different than it was on the SNES though. The kanji usage was reasonably heavy already anyway.
  • Arachkid
    Arachkid
    I think you'd actively have to search out Japanese titles on Steam. I'm in Japan, have Steam, and only ever see the usual suspects - haven't ever been suggested anything Japanese, etc.
  • shirokitsune
    shirokitsune
    Thanks for the site Mog86uk.
    @Arachkid I also live here in Japan. I have heard there are some games but most are more expensive if you want the Japanese voice or subtitles. I was just wondering if anybody has had any luck with the games.
shirokitsune