Site Idea (leveling)
Just an idea but I was wondering if maybe there should be two requirements before leveling up. One being the current EXP but along with it have a requirement where you have to pass every test in your current level with a 70+ percentage. I am about to level up to level 6 but I feel that I am not really done with learning level 3 material and I would like to not have a whole level's worth of words come flooding at me when I don't feel ready. Anybody else have the same feeling or am I alone on this?
posted by shirokitsune November 4, 2015 at 3:30pm
- beeant November 4, 2015 at 7:25pmyes, this makes sense. I sometimes feel that too. I will change the level up requirements along with level 8 lessons update. I will publish level 8 lessons after there are at least 500 level 7 users.
- mog86uk November 4, 2015 at 9:44pmIt's nice to hear talk of level 8 again. Although I thought that number of level 7 users we need was lower in the last post where you mentioned it? Maybe I'm imagining it... ;P
I'm not sure how I feel about this proposed change. It would be fine if we didn't have the current situation with the 29 answer cap for earning EXP on each question.
At the moment, answering a question in the Lessons uses up one of the 29 times you can earn EXP on that question. You receive very low EXP for answering the same questions in Lessons compared to when you have a combo bonus in Practice. So, if you want to reach higher ranks in the Rankings, it is much better to wait until after you've answered each question 29 times before doing any Lesson tests... It's already been made close to impossible to reach rank 1 because of the 29 answer limit being brought in, but this seemingly harmless change would make it even closer to being impossible.
I think this proposal is a very good idea, but not until the above issue is adjusted in some way. ^^
- shirokitsune November 5, 2015 at 9:56amWhat if the lessons and quizzes did not count towards the 29 times but still gave the limited exp? I did not know that there was a limited amount of times that one could answer a question for experience. The only other thing I can think of is to just reduce the amount of experience given after the 29 times and not drop it to zero. I know that people are still answering those questions even after the 29 times and it seems kind of like a punishment to have answered them all. I also understand that some users might feel compelled to spam a question set for experience but with reduced experience it would still push people towards answering newer questions.
- pooperscoop November 5, 2015 at 10:58amI think it's convenient to have all the lessons open to you though. You can still choose to learn them in order if you want to. Also I'm only learning vocab, so would I have to learn kanji to level up? Because I only want vocab and don't want to be demoted to a level where I can't review anymore.
- mog86uk November 5, 2015 at 12:05pmI've just noticed how close we are already to 500 level 7 users. If I counted correctly, the Rankings page shows 466 level 7 users (485 minus 19?), so only 34 more users need to reach 170,000 EXP!? o.O
The lesson tests add to the number of "correct" and "incorrect" values for each question, so it would be complicated to make it work out how many of the corrects are from Lessons and how many are from Practice.
Maybe everyone's "level" stat should be changed to match their lessons progress. Along with this, make the Practice level settings default to selecting only the levels you have passed in the Lessons, and fix Practice back to not giving "New" questions outside of your chosen level settings.
But still make it so the user can override the Practice settings and select any levels they want, with it always returning to the default settings each time they leave/reload the Practice page. This way everyone's happy, and the "level" stat becomes a little bit more meaningful. Although there's probably a much better idea out there. ^^
(Also, sorry Shirokitsune for that typo in your name in my last post.) ^^;
- shirokitsune November 5, 2015 at 2:05pmI think mog86uk's idea is good. It would make my study methods more meaningful as well as leave the option for studies like pooperscoop mentioned.
- kekkou November 5, 2015 at 3:42pmI always wondered about that. This is a learning website that "makes learning fun." So I agree that all Lessons tests in a level must be mastered with a passing score before leveling up. I am not sure if removing the EXP restriction on correctly-answered questions is a good idea. It may defeat the purpose of this being a learning site and it might eventually lose the fun factor after 100 million EXPs. Also, I have no idea if the JCJP server can handle an unlimited all-time EXP total, and there is a limited space to display the total EXPs.
- shirokitsune November 5, 2015 at 5:52pmI guess my question is, "If there is a restriction to the amount of times one can get experience for a question wouldn't that mean there is a max experience and that it would be impossible to pass someone who has reached it?"
- mog86uk November 5, 2015 at 10:27pm@shirokitsune, Exactly!
・8,898,940 EXP = Levels 1 to 6 -- all questions answered 29 times or more, if all of them were answered with x10 combo bonus (60~120 EXP per question).
・1,808,150 EXP = Level 7 -- all questions answered 29 times of more, if all of them were answered with x10 combo bonus (120~130 EXP per question).
However, you have to reach x10 combo bonus in the first place, so you need to subtract 3,186 EXP which is the amount you'd waste on the first 99 questions not having full x10 combo bonus.
10,703,904 EXP = Absolute maximum EXP you could ever earn just doing Practice. To get this you have to answer every question correct, all in one long massive several hundred thousand figure combo, from the day you join until the day you answer the last question for the 29th time. For each question you answer wrong you lose EXP which you cannot ever regain. You also would not be able to do any lessons--If you were to answer correctly every question once in the lessons, just for that one run through the lessons you would permanently lose 332,865 EXP from your maximum EXP potential.
Basically, this calculated maximum is virtually impossible to even get close to. I think you would be very lucky to reach even 9 million before running out of available EXP.
Worse than all this though, is that it was only 4 years ago that the 29 answer limit was introduced. When people were earning EXP before this there was no maximum EXP. Medyrius has 10 million EXP but hasn't even started any level 7 questions yet. He can still come back and potentially add another 1.8 million to his score! o.O
- Roguespierre November 5, 2015 at 10:49pmI think just fixing the issue with customizing the practice level is an easier and more efficient fix. There are users who may like having Kanji/vocab that they have not yet studied shown to them. This I Know for me as I knew a fare amount of Kanji before using the site, it saved it me a lot of time.
- MintyHippo November 6, 2015 at 12:41am@mog "so only 34 more users need to reach 170,000 EXP!? o.O" so what you're saying is that we need to make alternate accounts and get them to 7 to unlock level 8! XP
I think lessons should be incentivised somehow, though I'm not sure making them absolutely mandatory is the best way. Maybe offering a one time perfect score bonus would help?
Having said that I'm certainly part of the problem here XD
I come from the same angle as mog in that I don't want to complete them until I've maxed my 30 answers because I lose a total possible exp.
- kekkou November 6, 2015 at 3:32am@mog86uk I meant on the mobile device version. Sorry for not specifying that. The browser version has enough room.