Available on Google PlayApp Store

Suggestions

beeant (and any other admins), may I suggest some different approaches to the hiragana/katakana.

Suggestion 1) Same system, but allow (de)/selection of lines. An example would be to focus learning the N and M lines (which I have trouble with) rather the whole lot mixed in, because honestly there are certain lines that eventually get drilled into our minds so much having them pop onscreen just feels like a waste of time.

Suggestion 2) Association system, a katakana appears onscreen and you select its hiragana counterpart.

Example: ム Select the matching hiragana.
1)た
2)ひ
3)む
4)み

Suggestion 3) Mixed hiragana and katakana for a slightly different challenge some may find having to switch it up between the two on the fly is helpful rather than getting into a "hiragana mindset".

While one may argue that the current system is similar to suggestion 2, I believe that everyone learns in different ways and a dynamic range of options will benefit more.

I realise this would be new code that needs to be written and that you may have higher priorities, just wanted to put it out there.
posted by Core

Comments 6

• beeant
    beeant
    Hello Core,

Thank you for your suggestion.
    I dont really understand the suggestion number one, but I think its because you took it too seriously. Just take it easy learning hiragana and katakana, you just need to get used to it. Try to read some words, maybe you can go directly to practice, and refer the hiragana/katakana table if you have difficulties.

I like suggestion number two, I will apply that in the future, right now I am working on some other parts for this site. I'm sorry for this, but I am working alone on programming this site. So, I have to prioritize the jobs.

Thank You,
    bn
  • beeant
    beeant
    I tried to apply your suggestion, and actually it was an easy fix.

So now you will get random multiple choice options for hiragana/katakana practice. if you are on hiragana practice you will get katakana or alphabet multiple choice options, and if you are on katakana practice, you will get hiragana or alphabet practice.

Thank you for your suggestion, I think this makes JCJP's hiragana/katakana practice different from any other similar hiragana/katakana practice online.

Please tell me if you notice anything weird on the hiragana/katakana practice, because there may be some bugs, I hope not.

Thank you,
    bn
  • Core
    Core
    Good to see you taking some notice of the suggestions, thanks beeant.

I will try to explain suggestion one again.

Put a "settings" into the hiragana/katakana test so that we can turn off certain lines.
    Lines being, "ka line" ka, ki, ku, ke, ko, or "ta line" ta, chi, tsu, te, to.
    That way we can focus on lines we don't know or focus on one certain line at a time.

As for the new hiragana/katakana practice, I am finding it quite fun and unexpected.

What I originally had in mind was a separate third/fourth practice, keeping the two old ones and making the new one a 'Hiragana Katakana matching' practice.

I'm not very familiar with programming but I would guess you could do something like...
    Duplicate the previous practices
    Name them Hiragana->Katakana and Katakana->Hiragana
    And change the multiple choices from alphabet to the opposite kana.

Anyways, good work!
    Keep it up and the site will just get better and filled with more fun ways to learn japanese.

Thanks!
  • spanz
    spanz
    As this is a suggestions thread, I have another unrelated suggestion for practicing kanji readings.

With all the Kanji in each level's Kanji lesson (10 chapters), a shiritori-like game can be done, using the same layout we have now for practice/tests. It would be like another form of practicing Kanji readings.

You can pick up one Kanji or combination (not necessary only nouns) from the selected level and give four possible answers (also from the kanji lessons from the same level). It doesn't matter if the chosen word ends with Kana (unless it ends with a "n", of course!), but the Kana readings of the Kanji part must not be shown.

The user must choose the only one answer that begins with the question's trailing Kana (likely invisible). That way, the user has to know not only the given Kanji reading, but also the answers readings.

Then, the program can show another random Kanji compound, or if you want it to be more shiritori-like, the new given Kanji will start with the ending Kana of the previous answer.

Of course, the chained word lists (they can be more than one) have to be prepared beforehand, and the wrong options have to be chosen as well. The minigame wouldn't last long, as the number of words are limited, so you can think of it as another form of test (a tougher one!).

I hope some of this makes sense English-wise.
  • beeant
    beeant
    spanz: I am sorry but can you please give me some example of the question so I can get the right understanding.

Thank You,
    bn
  • spanz
    spanz
    beeant:
    I ended with a very long example / explanation, so I'll send it to you by e-mail.
    I can anticipate you that it's much more difficult that I thought, so it's up to you.
Core