Available on Google PlayApp Store

Suggestion: Quizzes/Study Material from News Websites?

I was thinking that maybe news from any site, like asahi.jp for English learners or asahi.com for Japanese learners, would entice people to not only learn real news from Japan but keep up with certain trends.

The "anime" fad is a great thing to do but I think having a mixed amount of study increases and broadens your horizons about material you see and learn from.

If you only learn from anime, and I LOVE anime, I think the person may never really learn from Japanese culture either and gives a fresh new way to learn the culture too.

I also think maybe a "culture" quiz about Japan could be possible but that's up to beant.
posted by JanetMerai

Comments 8

• beeant
    beeant
    Again, you have all similar ideas that I have been thinking... Are you reading my mind? haha just kidding, but seriously..

Maybe one year ago, I implemented a social bookmarking feature on JCJP, but nobody really uses it, so I removed that feature.

In that social bookmarking feature, the user can bookmark any page and add related vocabularies and do something like Digg, or any other social bookmarking site.

Should I re-implement this feature?
  • JanetMerai
    JanetMerai
    Instead, why not code it to where a user can pick Kanji/Kana/Phrases from a news article, source or whichever, just like the Photo Tag instead of breaking away from what the site really does :3

For example:
    I go to asahi.jp, find a news article, pick from a number of vocabularies or even phrases to Kanji, indicate their translations or even have a built in google translator, and include it just like the Photo Tag.

My idea is that you could have the News Source setup like animelyrics.com has it, side by side.

That way, when you read the article, you have the vocabulary on the right/left and can even get quizzed on it.

Another thing is that maybe you can make it so people can create their own quizzes based on a news article too.

Reading your mind?
    Nah, I am an artist and designer by nature... I have a natural talent for art and design :3
  • beeant
    beeant
    That is exactly what I was trying to do from that social bookmarking feature.

I need to know how many people are agree on this.

Currently JCJP has many features, but the only features that are being used mostly is only the basic feature which is Lesson, Chapter Test, and Practice.

Now, I am kind of afraid to just implement new feature that I am not sure that it is really going to be used by many number of users.

So, I always want to discuss ideas whenever we got new ideas. I am working alone, I don't really have anyone to discuss with, so I think that it is good to discuss it with JCJP users =D

I need another opinion or point of views from other users about this feature.

Thank You,
    bn
  • JanetMerai
    JanetMerai
    Well, maybe even changes or ideas by others would be a great suggestion too.
    However, it really is up to the community :3
  • Gituska
    Gituska
    @JanetMerai: In fact, beeant can pimp out anything interesting (must-see links) via twitter, its random vocabulary/info spam is a great alternative, fast and very refreshing, basically featuring all desired goals.
    Newspapers => too wide place of interest, moreover they are released under copyright (All rights reserved. No reproduction or republication without written permission.) For your suggested usage should be better "Public Domain" materials, hence they are licensed under a Creative Commons Public Domain License.
  • Gituska
    Gituska
    e.g. literature as part of culture:
    Do you know "Japanese Classical Literature at Bedtime"? http://jclab.wordpress.com (live voice podcast & transcript, sometimes english translation -> almost ready to get the quizzes)

@beeant: You can contact the autor and offer her (and her readers, japanese learners) collaboration. As a JCJP user, she (or anyone else) can create a special note/quiz to the selected readings (linked back) in oder to be interactive. We can help to advance each other.

@all: What do you think about it? Profitable for all concerned sides.
  • spanz
    spanz
    Yes! I like it! I really want to see different quizzes!

It seems Beeant is missing lately. I hope he's preparing us a surprise. (I'm joking, boss!) XD
  • beeant
    beeant
    Hello all,

I am really sorry, I have been really busy with my University, Job hunting, and some other projects.
    I will be back when its all ok.

Thank You,
    bn
JanetMerai