Available on Google PlayApp Store

rivals this site tremendously

Go to it, seems like Beeant could learn a bit from them :3
posted by JanetMerai

Comments 22

• beeant
    beeant
    Hello JanetMerai,

I'm sorry for my late reply, I was busy working on new statistics page.
    You can try checkout your new statistics page at:
    http://japaneseclass.jp/user/statistics/13832/1
    Please tell me what do you think about it.

Thanks for telling me about the site.

Please tell me what do you want to see in JCJP from that site. I will consider it and try to implement it.

Thank You,
    bn
  • JanetMerai
    JanetMerai
    I think what you did is very informative, but its lacking more about the user... is this intentional?

For example, why would you want to know how OTHER people are doing than yourself?
    The new statistics page is worse than before but it has a better layout and is cleaner in design... yet it lacks showing you the latest Kanji or Vocabulary you last encountered or the last 5 or 10 of anything which may remind you where you were; say you left or had to log-off or something.

My idea is that you need to think more about the user than trying to make it a social site... the idea is not to bring people together but to help people learn Japanese while encouraging other people to understand where other people currently are.

Say Mike is at level 6 and I can see where he is going... it gives me a role-model to follow and motivate me to surpass him than staring at my own statistics because I am already aware of them.

Secondly, statistics sometimes lie but in this case its personal based on your honesty... I see this as flawed because you are turning it into facebook than trying to learn Japanese.

I say focus on trying to help people learn than trying to bring other people together or make your interface pretty.

There's Grammar sections missing, misspellings, errors in syntax, sometimes the tests or practice section does not match Kanji I actually verify with authentic sources and you have WAY more to correct than focusing on prettying the site, so I think you should try to implement more features and fix the existing ones :3
  • beeant
    beeant
    I'm sorry about my misses.

I'm sorry, but I don't get your point about showing other people than yourself. I think that the statistics page are mostly showing the information about the user him/herself. Personal Lesson vocabularies/kanji statistics, personal reading statistics, personal note stats. personal photo collections, personal video collections, challenges, etc. user's own comment box, user's friends list.

About showing the latest encountered vocabularies, I have that in mind. I just need more time to implement it.

The reason why I add some social elements in JCJP, is because other than trying to build an app that helps you with Japanese learning, I also want make JCJP to be a Japanese Learners online community.

About the role-model system,
    There are things like this in my mind, but implementing a feature is not that easy. I have to consider, to keep everything as simple as possible. To give those role-model recommendation, and many other features implementation, it requires high processing power, so I also need to think about the efficiency of the program to keep JCJP access speed reasonable. This is why I am trying to collect some donations, to afford a better server. And there are many other considerations.

Facebook is one of my favorite sites (technologically, User interface design), so I got some inspiration from Facebook. But I'm not trying to turn JCJP to be Facebook. Please tell me which feature in JCJP are exactly the same like you see in Facebook.

I will start fixing those misses from now.

Do you really think that the new statistics page are worse than before? I'm really disappointed to hear this :( I worked hard on that page.
    Is it because you are used to the old one and not used to the new one.
    Please try to get along with the new user statistics page, try to explore. I also asked my friend about the new stats page, he also said he prefer the one before. But after I asked him to explore and try out for a while, he changed his opinion and said that the new one is much better than before.

What do you want to see in your statistics page? if you can, please list them in short clear points.

Thank You,
    bn
  • Ryumatori
    Ryumatori
    Yes, that site is very handy!
  • JanetMerai
    JanetMerai
    After noticing the title of the website I mentioned earlier was even taken out of the title of this thread, I don't think posting these helpful bits of information is really doing any good.
  • beeant
    beeant
    I'm sorry to remove it.
    Of course it's a really helpful information.
  • MagegirlNino
    MagegirlNino
    I still think this site is better. X3
  • JanetMerai
    JanetMerai
    I agree, it is indeed better only because it is free... but I question a site's intentions and goals when certain actions are taken.
    Without holding a grudge, the site's named was taken out of this thread with a purpose... and if that is true wouldn't that contradict your idea that this site is better when Beaant obviously omits the site's url?

My idea is that this site sucks compared to what I posted because the very name was taken out "purposely."
    I could be wrong, but I am a realist.
  • Gonzah
    Gonzah
    i was checking that page, and i saw something helpful like there use JLPT levels
    and that sentence's example box when you make a quiz are really really good, you should implement that beeant, seriously
    otherwise, i love this site, the look and appearance are so tidy , motivate you to use it, also the practice mode and that RPG's style showing each other our improves and achievements are awesome, never change that bn.
    Hooray for JCjp!
  • beeant
    beeant
    Thanks a lot to MagegirlNino and Gonzah. Thanks to JanetMerai for introducing the site too. But you kind of breaking my heart too JanetMerai.. :( JK.. haha

Anyway, Gonzah, what kind of sentence example box? don't we have that in JCJP practice page? Or is it that you want the sentence example box in all practice, quiz, and chapter tests?
  • beeant
    beeant
    Anyway, this is kind of out of topic but, I want organize JCJP lesson, for more integrity, and complete information for each vocabulary. However, I need more time and planning to do so, I also would like to hear some negatives and positives in the current Lesson vocabulary/Kanji list. I would like to list them down.

For now, for users who like to learn more vocabularies after Level 6, I would recommend, spanz's and StonerPenguin's Notes, they both have good Note Collections, you can take a look at:
    http://japaneseclass.jp/note/user/spanz
    http://japaneseclass.jp/note/user/StonerPenguin
  • Gonzah
    Gonzah
    yes, but that senteces example box is different, check it, there are many sentences and more "usefuls" and complete, you can vote it ,and hover the mouse on top of a word to shows meaning and conjugations, check it please that will be a nice improve
  • beeant
    beeant
    Ya. I just checked it. I will implement those ASAP. please be patient :) Thank you
  • Gonzah
    Gonzah
    thanks bn i will be!
    besides, on the challenges you can set the level correctly but in the invitations always appears like level 6 , and that scares , lol
    Thats all, matane!
  • Shicho
    Shicho
    Perhaps if it is not okay to post a link, someone could post some helpful search terms?

I'd had a look when the site was first posted but can't find the page again and would like to try it some more.

(It is nothing personal, beeany - there is room to love multiple sites! I'm afraid I can't pause my learning until this site has all the updates you're planning, so I'd like to use the best features of various sites.)

• beeant
    beeant
    I'm sorry for my slow progress to keep up with my promises about my plans.. I couldn't make it on time until now :(

the site is called renshuu dot something.. ><
  • Shicho
    Shicho
    Please do not apologise - I know how much work goes into developing new features! This site has many great features and has helped tremendously! I'm leaving for my first trip to Japan in less than two weeks so am in a hurry to learn as much as possible, and am looking forward to putting everything I've learned to use! Thank you, beeant!
  • beeant
    beeant
    Thanks Shicho!

which part of Japan will you go? Tokyo?

Maybe you can use JCJP trends page to find some interesting stuffs/places.

You can try these:
    Japanese Scenery:
    http://japaneseclass.jp/trends/trending/Category:日本の景観

Japanese Culture:
    http://japaneseclass.jp/trends/trending/Category:日本の文化

Tourism in Japan:
    http://japaneseclass.jp/trends/trending/Category:日本の観光

But the feature is not working that good yet, sometimes it still gives blank picture :( or incomplete information in the about page. It might give you a bad impression and never use it anymore. But please don't. I'm still working on it to fix it and try to give as much dynamic and fun information as possible.
  • beeant
    beeant
    I think it works pretty well now.
    I hope it will work well when you try it.
  • Gonzah
    Gonzah
    Hi bnt! i was looking the new profile page and there's no more "member since"info.
    Why?
  • beeant
    beeant
    because I was thinking that it is not that important information...

do you think it's important?

Now I think it is fun to see though..
    Do you want me to include that again?
  • Gonzah
    Gonzah
    Yes, cause you can see the advance/improvement/achievement in certain period of time, i think it is useful
JanetMerai