Available on Google PlayApp Store

Incorrect readings on furigana

I noticed in the practice section that there are a ton of Kanji or even Vocabulary that have incorrect readings based on what I hear.

At the moment I cannot really provide which ones, but if you listen and look at the Kanji and Furigana, it doesn't sound the same and with my knowledge I know I am not hearing what I am reading.

Just thought I would point this out.

The biggest example is when the digital voice say's "hito" when it is read in furigana as "nin" and means "Person"
posted by JanetMerai

Comments 2

• mjscev
    mjscev
    hi there ^^ i'm a bit confused by this. isn't 'hito' and 'nin' have the same meaning as 'person' i think the reading's can have different reading as to its based, i think. but i'm still a newbie here^^ will wait for other people opinion too
  • JanetMerai
    JanetMerai
    Actually, hito and nin are both used in different contexts :3

While hito is a person, a Japanese person might say:
    "ano hito ha dare desu ka?" "That person, who are they?"

To say:
    "ano nin ha dare desu ka" would make no sense as hito is meant to be a person while "nin" means "human."
    "san-nin ha imasu" would mean "there are three humans here" and makes sense because you are describing the "type" of person, not people :3

ningen is also human, but is compounded with "gen" to mean origin(s).

So ningen would mean "human origin" while "hito" means "person" specifically :3

Japanese have very distinct contexts for each and ever word but can be loosely used in other areas :3
JanetMerai