Available on Google PlayApp Store

日本へ行ってるぞ!

再来週、私は一ヶ月間日本へ行きます!
Seems strange to think that only this time last year I was 99.999% certain I would never do it. I had no intention or plans at all to go. I kind of liked the idea but it didn't seem like something that mattered in the slightest to me if I never went once my whole life. Even though I've spent so long learning the language, my only reason for learning it has been just for fun and out of interest, and also maybe to eventually reach the stage where I could watch anime and play games in Japanese without needing a translation.

Don't know what lead to this total change of plan only year later... Don't remember what got me started in this direction to end up at this point, lol. おかしいな~ :D
posted by mog86uk

Comments 54

• Koukyoshi
    Koukyoshi
    That's awesome! I can't speak for everyone, but when I first came here, I felt everyone was speaking so quickly! Where do you plan on going?
  • mog86uk
    mog86uk
    I'm getting a 21 day JR rail pass, so I'll probably stay in Tokyo the first week before activating the pass. After that, all over the place. Should be fun.

I really need to get more of the planning sorted out still though. It feels like there's a lot of stuff to sort out. ^^;

At the moment I'm trying to find the best way to have constant internet on my phone while I'm there. Most options are very expensive, especially if I want to rent a SIM that also gives you a phone number to make calls on. :/
  • beee_17
    beee_17
    Wow, that's awesome! :D Don't forget to tell us about your experiences there :P
  • deadmo
    deadmo
    You should live or work there for a bit! It will help your japanese i think! :)
  • Arachkid
    Arachkid
    Mobile wi-fi here is ridiculous, don't bother. Remember which shops have wi-fi and hit them up. Need help with anything, feel free to drop a line.
  • dpi209
    dpi209
    A good choice, I'm sure you'll enjoy it a lot!
  • HuongHitachi
    HuongHitachi
    Have a good time! It would be interesting to hear about your trip ^^
  • mog86uk
    mog86uk
    Thanks everyone. ^^

@deadmo, The UK does have a 1 year working holiday visa for going to Japan (for 18-30 yr olds, and I'm 29). I thought about doing this, since it won't be long before I'm too old and miss out on the chance, but I'd rather just check the country out as a normal holiday. I have no idea whether I'd really like to stay there for an extended period of time, having never been there before.

@Arachkid, Thanks. Isn't it supposed to be difficult to access wifi in Japan?

I was going to rent a nano SIM card for my Android phone from this site:
    http://www.globaladvancedcomm.com/simrent.html

It's still a LOT more expensive compared to what you'd expect in other countries, but it seemed have everything: your own number, cheap local and internation call rates, unlimited data.

The only nano SIM they have says it's for "iPhone 5 / 6" at about 16,000 JPY (£86) for a month. I double checked with them that this didn't mean it doesn't work for Android, but they replied saying that I shouldn't try to use it for Android. I really didn't think it could matter which phone I stuck the SIM card in, but there goes that easy option...

Now I'm looking at renting either data only SIM or a mobile router. These can be found for much lower prices. I think my best option is Sakura Mobile:
    https://www.sakuramobile.jp/short-term-sim-card-plans/
    https://www.sakuramobile.jp/mobile-router/

Much cheaper. Only 3,500 JPY (£18) for 3 GB. Only to 5,500 JPY (£30) for 7 GB. You can keep it for up to 45 days, but when you've used up all your data the speed is heavily reduced. You can also top it up for 1,500 JPY (£8) for each extra 1 GB. Not sure whether I'll get the mobile router or the SIM, but seems like the best option for me. ^^
  • Arachkid
    Arachkid
    It's not hard, but you just need to sign up for something a lot of times. As long as you make an account, you get an id or password for the connection, which is more secure. At a hotel/hostel you will have internet there, I have a mobile wi-fi router which offers me unlimited data a month, but after a certain amount a day it's slow, so isn't for anything other than text browsing, nothing video, etc. It is... 4,000 yen a month? I use it for the commute, so it's worth it. But if you're going to be in Tokyo, or around there, or other big cities, wi-fi coverage is not a worry. I live a bit out of the city. If you need internet no matter where you are, you might want to look at the mobile router. I first came for a month stay - although I was not nearly as good at the local language then as you are now. You'll have a blast. I wish there was a way to give you personal information without it being public for if you need help, but them's the breaks - don't want a bunch of spam or such. Beeant, make a private messaging system! :P
  • mog86uk
    mog86uk
    @Arachkid, Thank you. :)

I will mostly be aiming to go around the usual destinations- Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Nara, Hiroshima. However, since the rail pass lets me travel mostly anywhere in Japan, I might well be going to some places with less wifi coverage.

Depending on whether I manage to get an International Drivers Permit, I may well even be travelling close to where you live. There are some roads around there I'm interested in checking out. ;)
    (I don't know if you remember that post a few months ago where we were talking about driving in Japan, and where I kinda hinted about wanting to do this?) However, the trip is going to be expensive enough as it is, so not sure whether I really would pay to hire a car when I already have a train pass... but still...

It is a shame that it's a bit tricky to organise private communication on this site. At least I'll be able to post on here if I do end up needing some help to see if anyone has any ideas. I'm sure I'll still be checking this site during my trip anyway. ^^
  • Arachkid
    Arachkid
    Definitely use the heck out of that rail pass while you have it. It's funny, because as far as general rail staff members are concerned, if you show any kind of rail pass, and it has a stamp on it, they just kinda wave you through. I got the Seppun 18, which is good for 5 separate days of travel on local trains, and you're meant to get it stamped at the beginning of each day. I never managed to get it stamped more than once. People just saw it and waved me right through. Wasn't about to argue with that, so the Seppun 18, although meant to last only 5 days, got me more like 18. I recently also used the Kanto Area Pass (same deal as the JR pass, only for Kanto, long-term residents can get it) and it was the same thing. No actual looking at the pass, just saw it had the general shape and wave you on through. Having never looked at it, you think they'd want to before waving me onto a shinkansen, but okay... :P I hope you can see some good sights of the leaves changing colours - it's something we have in Canada, so never really got me as strong as sakura, but it is really popular here.
  • Koukyoshi
    Koukyoshi
    Unfortunately, I've never been in a situation where I didn't have Internet access. Even when I go back home, I always have a phone I can use there waiting for me. Having said that, most of the people I know who have come here took the financial hit and rented a mobile WiFi at Narita airport. There's also a place to rent it somewhere in Tokyo. As Arachkid mentioned, if you're going to be in metropolitan areas, you should be alright. If worse comes to worst, you could always go to a manga cafe. If the main reason why you want Internet access is for GPS capability, I would recommend Here Maps (for both iOS and Android) or MapFactor GPS (Android only). They both allow you to download maps for offline viewing.

I definitely recommend going to Miyagi prefecture, specifically, Sendai. All the people I know who have been there loved it, and it's a good chance to get out of the city. I also recommend my prefecture of Tochigi to visit Tokugawa Ieyasu's tomb at Tosho-gu, if you're interested in that type of stuff. At any rate, I'll be in Tokyo on the 19th to do some shopping there. Let me know if you want to meet up!
  • mog86uk
    mog86uk
    @Arachkid, That is funny. I have seen some videos of people showing how to use the trains with their passes and it did seem like the rail staff barely checked what the tourists had in their hand. I can definitely see what you said being possible. :P

That is something I'm going to miss out on taking the trip this time of year. I get hayfever though, so although I'll miss out on finding out what the fuss is about for sakura, I'm happy that it will be my season of the year--autumn. Not hot, not freezing, no hayfeever... although I guess Japan gets typhoons, hopefully I'll be lucky though. ^^;

@Koukyoshi, Thanks for the app recommendations. MapFactor might be pretty handy, although not too helpful for planning trips involving trains. Here Maps (the Nokia one?) for some reason does not allow you to save the downloaded maps onto an SD card, which is extremely inconvenient. I don't have enough free internal storage space to have room for large map files. Otherwise it would have been very handy. Hopefully I won't need to use either so long as I always have internet and can use google maps.

I was wondering about whether there were any reasons I should consider travelling north from Tokyo. I do like the idea of seeing that tomb. I guess it depends how easily I get the hang of the railway system and where I can find cheap hotels/hostels for how far out of the main cities I go. I should be in Tokyo on the 19th. Would be cool if it works out that we're able to meet up. I have your email address to contact you on from sending the Practice mod, which makes things easy. ^^
  • mog86uk
    mog86uk
    [email protected]

If anyone wants to email me for anything, can use that email. It's not my main one, just one I don't mind giving out. I check it occasionally. ^^
  • JACKBOSMA
    JACKBOSMA
    Looking forward to a new JCJP lesson!
  • Arachkid
    Arachkid
    There's a typhoon about, not hitting Japan(well, Kanto) now but pretty much making for rain all this week. As for hay fever, there is a period of grace because the hay fever here is not the same as your home country. Many people say that it starts to kick in on your seventh year consecutively living in Japan, but mine started up this year, after only five... sigh. Oh, right! Silver week coming up! Sweet...
  • mog86uk
    mog86uk
    @Arachkid, Yeah. When I was looking at the extended weather forcasts a couple of weeks ago, the weather looked like it was going to be better. Now it looks like the first couple of weeks are going to be pretty wet. :/

Respect the aged is now a "week"? o.O
    Well that might explain why I had a hard time searching for hotels for the weekend that comes immediately before it. Specifically hotels in Hiroshima between Sat 19th to Mon 21st. There is barely a single hotel available on booking websites for the whole prefecture on those nights! Although it looks like Silver week starts on the 21st? No idea what's causing that really... It usually finds over 100 available hotels any other day...
  • Koukyoshi
    Koukyoshi
    @mog: No problem. Unfortunately, I wished I had actually used the apps that I recommended. I only made a note of them for just in case a situation arose where I would need such an app. Ah, that sucks. Is there no way to send the files to your computer or something? From there, I assume you would be able to put it on your SD card. Hm... I'm not sure if there's an app you can get that would help you with trains offline. I must admit, not having an app for that can make traveling a little hard but not too much. I've never used Google Maps for trains, so I cannot speak of its effectiveness. I use Y! 乗換案内 for my train travels.

Most definitely! Yamagata Prefecture has some of the best 和牛 you'll ever eat! Plenty to do up this way for sure. Agreed. That would definitely be a problem. I could be wrong, but I feel hotels would be cheaper in the countryside. When I'm out and about, I use Expedia and Hotel Tonight to find cheap deals. Great minds think alike. That's exactly what I was thinking. I check all my emails every day.

And to the last thing you wrote. It's not a week long. The 21st is 敬老の日, the 22nd is 国民の休日, and the 23rd is 秋分の日. They just happened to fall that way this year.
  • Arachkid
    Arachkid
    Golden Week and Silver Week are called that because they fall within the same week. It's fairly rarely that they fall all in a row, but both did this year, so it makes for happy... well, me! Not you, though, as that specific lining up of a maximum of 5 days without using days off means tons of people will be taking trips. Might be the best time to go into Tokyo, as Obon, New Year, or other times when people return home mean generally less people in Tokyo, which makes Tokyo a lot more pleasant. Crap. Just out of curiosity, I looked at the next two years' Golden and Silver weeks, and yeah... not good! Spoiled this year, that's for sure.
  • dpi209
    dpi209
    Just to chime in on the app recommendations, I used MapsWithMe when I was there, and it definitely came in handy. I don't know whether you can move the maps to SD card, though - something I don't need to worry about. As for trains, there's Hyperdia for Android, but iirc it requires an active internet connection, too.
  • MintyHippo
    MintyHippo
    Have a great time! :D

I set up a plan with my phone provider here in Australia which wasn't super expensive to use in Japan. I know it's been said lots but I pretty much used the public wifi wherever I went. But for travelling I found it really handy. Walking down streets or just around in general looking at locations the GPS is amazing.
  • mog86uk
    mog86uk
    @Koukyoshi, I think Y! 乗換案内 might be a little too difficult for me to use. xD It does look like a very useful app for people living in Japan though, and I like the amount of detail the map has for the individual railway lines.

I already use those sites, and Booking.com. Skyscanner Hotels app is my favourite for actually finding hotels because you can perform fuzzier searches, like search all hotels in a prefecture or even check the whole of Japan.

@Arachkid, Ah. Thanks, I understand the situation a lot better now. That does explain the weekend before being booked out then. It is easier to find hotels in Tokyo those days, so I guess I'll probably end up staying in Tokyo until Silver week is over, which gives me a week there.

@dpi209, MapsWithMe (Maps.Me) is great! It does let you install the maps on the SD card too. Thanks. ^^
    I've already tried to get Hyperdia. For some bizarre reason it is only available in USA and Japan. wth... :/

@Minty, Thanks. :)
    I'm going to rent a mobile router from http://www.sakuramobile.jp today. I found out if you rent their router you are allowed to take the SIM out and put it in your phone. So I'll have my own SIM as backup to make emergency calls on and use their mobile router for internet. And if the router runs out of batery, I can swap the SIMs over in my phone to carry on using internet. Their prices aren't bad for people staying in Japan a month. ^^
  • beeant
    beeant
    I just found this forum post!
    Let's meet up mog!
  • mog86uk
    mog86uk
    @beeant, I remember you previously suggesting about doing that. That will be very cool if you are not too busy. ^^

It looks like I'll probably be in Tokyo for a whole week, arriving on Wednesday 16th. I plan to leave Tokyo the following Wednesday/Thursday when Silver week has finished. Flying from the UK should leave me pretty jet lagged for the first couple of days, so that seems like a sensible amount of time to stay in Tokyo anyway.

I'm not sure what is the best way to contact you. If you want, you can email me on the email address I gave earlier. ^^
    [email protected]
  • sasmith
    sasmith
    Have a great travel!
  • beeant
    beeant
    Yes we should meet! it's close to a must haha.

I will email you my phone number. Do you use LINE?

I got your email. Thanks!

PS: Do you want me to remove that email on the post?
  • mog86uk
    mog86uk
    I haven't used LINE. However, I need to put apps like that on my phone to stay in contact with people back home. I'll install LINE in a minute and see if I can figure out how to use it.

That email isn't my main one. It's just a separate one I made a few months ago. I only use it for telling people a way to contact me so that neither of us have to publicly post our default email addresses. So it's perfectly fine to leave that email address there. ^^
  • mog86uk
    mog86uk
    I've just installed and set up both Skype and LINE on my phone.

I can't figure out which one is better, but I notice Skype gives you a trial month of free calls to landline and mobile numbers worldwide! That will be very handy when I'm in Japan for a month, being able to call both Japanese and UK landlines and mobiles for free! Sounds too good to be true. That trial deal had better not disappear within the next 2 weeks. :P

Anyway, both look fairly simple to use and I can use either of them on my phone now. ^^
  • Arachkid
    Arachkid
    beeant, do you know any adults who use LINE? The only people I've ever known to use it are my students, who basically just exchange candids they take of me. With students outside of their school circles. Which has led to me being called by my name in areas far from "home" because people have a picture of me that's been traded about.
  • black_cat
    black_cat
    not sure if it's too late but if you do not get data SIM - Starbucks is probably going to be your (well, it was mine) favourite shop - drinks and FREE WIFI (just need to sign up on their systems, I think you can even do this in UK), not ideal but helped few times. Or at least might save you some precious MB for later.
  • mog86uk
    mog86uk
    @black_cat, I already paid for a 10GB mobile router package in the end. One month rental costs a total of about £60. It has no daily usage restrictions or fair usage policy, just a straight forward 10GB chunk of data to use however you want. You can top it up if you run out of data (like £8 per GB), but it lets you carry on using the internet anyway just at a heavily reduced speed. I very much doubt I'll run out anyway. :P

You're also allowed to take the SIM out of the router and put it in your phone, which is useful if the router battery runs out. If my phone can get good enough signal, I may just keep the SIM in my phone. With that free 1 month Skype worldwide calls trial, it should hopefully be a hassle free experience. ^^

I probably could have survived with spending lots of time in Starbucks and other places with free wifi, but I didn't want to be spending lots of my time hunting around for wifi hotspots. Although if something goes wrong with my mobile internet, I guess Starbucks will be the first place I will be heading for. Thanks for mentioning it. :)
  • Arachkid
    Arachkid
    What brand mobile router is it? Be aware that by "heavily reduced speed", some of them mean "you may never actually load a webpage".

As for Starbucks, I don't think they have a free wi-fi anymore unless you have a plan with Softbank or something - nothing just free. I miss it, as I used to surf the web when sitting in line when the store was busy. :P

There are plenty of places, though. And if you've never been on a metered bandwidth connection, and you plan on using Skype, you may be surprised by how quickly it can go. But if it's only the equivalent of surfing webpages while you are away from the hotel/other wi-fi, it should be fine.
  • mog86uk
    mog86uk
    @Arachkid, I went with Sakura Mobile in the end. http://www.sakuramobile.jp

It uses the NTT DoCoMo network, so at least I should have no problem with coverage. I think the reduced spead might be 200kbps, but not really too sure, just what it sounded like in the FAQs. Other sites I looked at were mostly all 100kbps. Getting pretty close to the old 56kbps days of, whenever you want to view an image on a webpage, might as well go make a cup of tea, haha.

But anyway, I'm certain there's no chance of using up 10GB in a month. Looking at the wifi data usage on my phone for the last month, I've used only 5GB. Half of that are app installations and updates (which I'll disable in Japan). Adding up data use for web browser, email, google maps, hotel apps and flight apps, I've only used 600MB in the last month. I'd have to do something pretty crazy to use 10GB, probably should have gone for less GB package but playing it extra comfortably safe. ^^

That's a shame about Starbucks. I guess there will be other places I could head to. Hopefully the hotels will have free wifi, but at least if they don't or their wifi is not functioning correctly, I won't have to worry. I won't have to limit my options to only hotels with reliable free wifi. :)
  • Koukyoshi
    Koukyoshi
    @mog: No way you'll go over 10GB in a month. I'm with Docomo, and my limit is 5GB a month before they throttle my speed. I tether every chance I get at work, and I've never been close to going past 5GB. Of course, I use WiFi at home, which helps. I'm sure you'll have WiFi at whatever lodging you stay at, so you should be all right. As long as you stay away from streaming sites, I think you'll be fine.

@Arachkid: To your message to beeant, you're kidding, right? I refuse to believe that wasn't a joke. If it's not, マジでショック!
  • mog86uk
    mog86uk
    @Koukyoshi, Idk. I've also kind of thought LINE was some new cool thing young people started using--people who barely even saw the 90's. I didn't even know LINE existed until I started hearing it mentioned about a year ago by JCJP users aged around 13~18 years old. Skype, on the other hand, is something that's been around considerably longer, meaning there are many adults who've been using it for years.

Me, you and Beeant are pretty much the same age, but Arachkid is likely a bit older? Might just be a more noticeable for him.

Both seem pretty much identical anyway. It looks like LINE was created in Japan, whereas Skype was created by Scandinavian developers and taken over by Microsoft. So I was expecting things to be different for Japan, with LINE being the more popular one even maybe among adults. I don't know anyone in the UK who has even heard of LINE while even grannies without a phone have heard of Skype. So I'll probably need to use both no matter which one I prefer. ^^;
  • Koukyoshi
    Koukyoshi
    The reason why I said that is because I literally don't know anyone who doesn't have LINE here, of course. It's not that popular outside of Japan. LINE is ridiculously popular, which is why I said what I said. LINE even had its own anime!

Arachkid asked beeant if he knew any adults who use LINE. The answer would be an emphatic yes. The only people I know, young and old, who don't have LINE are those who still use flip phones. I don't even have an e-mail address for my phone any more because I don't find it necessary.

Functionality wise, yes they're similar; but you would be hard pressed to find someone who treats them the same. I actually used to use Skype before LINE became so popular. It's similar to how Kakao Talk dominates Korea.
  • mog86uk
    mog86uk
    Pretty much the only reason I wrote that last comment was as an extremely indirect way of asking Arachkid how old he is. Just to settle my curiosity, not that the answer matters in any way at all. I don't think my plan has worked though... :P

But it was still interesting to learn a bit more about phone communication in Japan. ^^
  • Arachkid
    Arachkid
    The only adults I know who have LINE are teachers who keep in touch with students (which is ダメダメ, although it's okay for the ALT). But I have many adult friends and students who have no clue what it is. Maybe it's just the area of Gunma. I myself am 40, but my friends are 18 and up. The only people I can reliably get in touch with through LINE are ALTs, teachers, and students. Everyone else has to be another method.
  • mog86uk
    mog86uk
    @Arachkid, I think I remembered you saying your age was something like that before in a previous post. However, because I've forgotten whether that definitely happened, it's just been bugging me that maybe I had been thinking you were in your early fourties for no reason at all. Would be weird if you were actually 18 and I kept on thinking you were older than me without realising. :P
  • Arachkid
    Arachkid
    Might be the nick - older nick based off of City of Heroes, a superhero MMO. I made a Spiderman clone but of course if you call him Spiderman they find and "modify" your hero so he doesn't look like something that is copyright infringing. Thus Arachkid. No, definitely older than most, I'd assume, on this site. That being said, most of my Japanese friends are younger than me by a good bit, in their twenties or so. It takes a special kind of young person with a quality for speaking openly or frankly to be able to enjoy conversations with me. As I've said, I have worked on speaking Japanese, but I have a hard time following the "rules". No talking about anything that is complicated, or saying how the rules don't make sense just because you've done them forever, etc.
  • mog86uk
    mog86uk
    Almost got everything sorted out for this trip. Although, by "sorted out", I'm ignoring the fact I haven't booked a single hotel or really planned any of the itinerary...

But at least today I've finally bought a bag to use for my luggage! Only six days to go and I didn't have anything to use for my luggage before today, lol...

A month long trip with a 20 litre backpack... It small enough that it should easily be able to go through as hand luggage. Hope I don't regret trying to get by with such a small bag on this month long trip though. ^^;
  • Arachkid
    Arachkid
    Guess you're not going to be bringing anything back? :P I guess the backpack is a great idea seeing as how you haven't booked anything, it's kinda opposite as to what I did (3 suitcases, bought a backpack while I was there, a cheap one - for 1000 yen). Hope you don't encounter problems around Silver Week.
  • Arachkid
    Arachkid
    What are you doing for hotels, like real hotels for a month? Or hostels, or what?
  • mog86uk
    mog86uk
    Hostels, budget hotels, capsule hotels,... I'm not picky. I'm used to camping holidays sleeping in tents, so I can't imagine anything I pick being any worse than that. :P

I'd rather spend a month in Japan in cheap accommodation than less than a week in 5-star hotels. Hopefully I'll never need to go above ¥5,000 per night; the ¥2,000~3,000 places look decent enough.

If I need more luggage space if I decide to bring some stuff back I could just buy a another bag or a suitcase while I'm there.

As for Silver Week, I think if I stay in Tokyo and check out on the final day on Wednesday I should be okay. I think it should be easy enough to find accommodation elsewhere on Wednesday night since people should be returning home? I'll keep checking availability on hotel booking sites anyway. ^^
  • mog86uk
    mog86uk
    I'm a little concerned about travelling north of Tokyo with the recent flooding in Ibaraki and Tochigi. Pictures of the flooding in Joso city have been on the news here in the UK over the last couple of days. I was wondering if it might have a knock on effect to hotel availability in Tokyo, but it doesn't seem like it has yet.

I guess Gunma hasn't been too affected by the weather? I wonder about Tochigi though?
  • Koukyoshi
    Koukyoshi
    I think you'll definitely be able to find a hotel in the price range you're looking at. I've stayed in Tokyo for 2-3 before, and the hotel I stayed at wasn't that expensive at all.

As you know, I live in Tochigi. Other than the affected areas, everything seems to be OK. My area, for example, didn't feel much. The trains are a little messed up at the moment, but I suspect they'll be up and running by next week for sure.
  • mog86uk
    mog86uk
    @Koukyoshi, That's good to hear. Are you still planning to be in Tokyo on the Saturday 19th? I'm actually thinking about trying to go to the Tokyo Game Show on that day, seeing as there aren't too many other major events on in Japan during my trip. I haven't worked out what time I'll be there and what time I'll be back at Tokyo, but maybe at some point in the day I might be near where you are. Would be cool if we are able to meet up still. ^^

I'm kind of dreading the lack of any itinerary planning or route planning, not having a schedule I have to follow telling me exactly where to be at what times every day. I'm pretty bad at making quick on the spot decisions, yet I'll be putting myself in the situation where I'll have to make tons of them constantly every day. Hopefully I adapt and figure out what I want to do quickly while I'm there, but I kind of worry about how much of the first few days I'm going to waste being disorganised and indecisive. :|
  • Koukyoshi
    Koukyoshi
    Yup. I still plan on going to Tokyo on the 19th. My plans have changed slightly. I was originally planning on going there to shop a little, but since I've spent quite a bit of money already, I don't think that's going to happen any more, lol. I was actually thinking about going to that as well since a friend of mine is going (for SFV, of course!). I have drinking plans later that night with a friend whom I haven't seen in quite some time. By the way, you have to purchase a ticket before you're able to go, which can be bought at a konbini, if I'm not mistaken. It's been a while since I last bought one.

You don't have to have any concrete plans. Just have a couple of points of interest in mind. You'll be fine!
  • mog86uk
    mog86uk
    @Koukyoshi, I thought that too, but apparently for this particular event you can buy tickets on the day onsite for ¥1,200 or get one in advance for ¥1,000 yen:
    http://expo.nikkeibp.co.jp/tgs/2015/en/visitor/ticket.html

I'll give buying a ticket from a convenience store a shot anyway. I'm not sure how that works though. Do I need to do something online before hand, or is it possible to just turn up at the convenience store and say I'd like to purchase a ticket?

I should email you to exchange contact details for LINE or whatever. At the moment I've installed LINE because people recommended it yet my contact list is still empty. Not been too successful with getting this kind of stuff organised with anyone yet. ;_;
  • Arachkid
    Arachkid
    mog, you're most likely going to need to deal with a machine to get those tickets. Those machines are organized fairly poorly, but if you tell the clerk what you want, you should be fine. What's your ID on LINE? I might make a new ID, as whenever I'm on my normal one, it's just basically students or ex-students wanting to meet.
  • yolandahu
    yolandahu
    I am going to Japan in two months. My first time to Japan, looking forward to the new experience.
  • mushroom
    mushroom
    もう行きましたか?どうでしたか?楽しかったですか?
    http://www.coolmuster.jp/
  • Annick
    Annick
    I'm also interested to hear(read) about that trip! I may have reached a new position but I still have so much words in oblivion as well, I just can't keep up. I have a few words that I scored 100 correct, I had more before, just a moment of distraction, mouse slip or cat walking on the keyboard and it's all over. XD
  • Annick
    Annick
    Oops I replied on the wrong thread...
mog86uk