Available on Google PlayApp Store

Kanji you think should be in the 常用 kanji list but are not?

嬉, as in 嬉しい (うれしい) "glad, happy".

There are 2,136 kanji in Japan's official 常用(じょうよう)漢字(かんじ)表(ひょう) "regular-use kanji list".
http://www.bunka.go.jp/kokugo_nihongo/sisaku/joho/joho/kijun/naikaku/pdf/joyokanjihyo_20101130.pdf

Some kanji you might expect to find in that list of 2,136 kanji are not actually in it. If you've expected that a kanji should be in the 常用漢字表 but were surprised that it isn't, add it in the comments below. ^^
posted by mog86uk

Comments 2

• mog86uk
    mog86uk
    Well, to get the ball rolling, here's one that might be a little suprising:

鞄, as in 鞄 (かばん) "bag, satchel, briefcase".

Should recognise the word 鞄 (かばん) well, as it is taught in the Vocabulary lessons here on JCJP, in level 1 chapter 1! Yet 鞄 isn't even one of the 2,136 official regular use kanji.

This word is also listed in dictionaries like Jisho.org as being a JLPT N5 vocabulary word and as being a "common word", yet no JLPT level is listed at all for the kanji itself (higher than N1 then...). :P
  • wigglysquire
    wigglysquire
    Yea sometimes when I'm able to write a kanji that I think isn't so difficult and learned years ago, some Japanese people are shocked that I can write it and say "that's a really difficult kanji". I'll try to think of one that isn't in the Jouyoukanji. I know I've encountered a few.
mog86uk