Available on Google PlayApp Store

Multi Language System?

Since many users are talking, suggesting, and having difficulties with multi language system, I think there is a need to change with the system.

How do you think it should be?

I am thinking about something like:

1. Interface with multi language is really difficult to manage, since the length of different languages are different. Some words/sentences cannot fit perfectly with the design as for the size not looks. for example in English it can be as simple as "Lessons" it can fit in less then 100 pixels, however in some language "Lessons" can be "Snosselesonel" which require more than 100 pixels.

So I'm thinking to stick with one interface language, English.

2. Change to show vocabulary language manually in the lesson/practice/chapter tests. Such as drop down menu in the lesson while you want to see it in your language.

What do you think?
posted by beeant

Comments 19

• Artur
    Artur
    If that is easier for you, then you should do it. :)

(well, then i made the site translation for nothing (o_O)... )
  • JanetMerai
    JanetMerai
    I think you should ask others to translate parts of the site since trying to translate it to other languages may result in people criticizing your efforts which actually may stop your interest.

My idea is to ask others for their help but try if you can do it :3
  • Gituska
    Gituska
    1. one interface language, English. -> yes, sure.
    2. My main learning laguage is English, but I switch the languages for vocabulary multi-lessons (occasionaly) to help my memory, or just for fun. Manuall change of specific content is ok in that case.
  • spanz
    spanz
    @Janet: As you suggest, the site translations are made by users. Only the English version is responsability of Beeant, because he's the site's author and he wrote it in English for obvious reasons. Beeant's English is not perfect, though, so some English proofreading by native speakers would be nice. I can't do it because my English is also poor, but I'm sure there are many users that can help.

@Beeant: Yes, Artur is right. The site is alive, so having coherent changes between translations is hard, and that ends up in translated dead sections or untranslated stuff everywhere. You have to write the site and, additionally, the translation variables (and keep them constantly updated or the translators won't be able to translate them!). Even the server has to do more work.
    A single, universal version for everyone is simpler and easier to maintain. Sadly, the translators' effort (and yours!) will be wasted, but that's life.
    My vote: Yes, stick with the English interface.
  • Artur
    Artur
    Well I have a multi-language site as well. I have untranslated parts everywhere too. But that depends on the people who do the translations in their free time. If they feel like it, they give me some new ones.

But as I mentioned above. I already changed many of the translations or added new ones to the site, but I saw that almost everywhere are new variables used, which aren't listed at mygengo.com. I would translate it, because I like to do it :). (I already see a translation which I need to correct like the submit button below my text box, which has the wrong translation, because of the nothing saying lang token.) It's kinda hard to maintain more than one language and also get a site to work probably with all of them is hard as well. But it's always nice for a user (or for me at least) to be able to read a site in your (my) own language.

@spanz: If he already has the variables it isn't that much work for the server. Now if he would stick to one language I think he leaves the language variables where there are, because otherwise he need to rewrite a lot of stuff to remove them. So it's just a changed language variable what he is using.

I do like this site, that's why I answered sure, when I got asked to translate it to german (through I'm not really active here - I cannot learn those symbols @_@).

But like I said, If it's for you easier to just do one language, then stick with one. If you feel like it, that the one or the other language would be useful for beginners or for people who are as an example be german and are bad in englisch, they still could visit this site and try to learn japanese vocables.

:)
  • beeant
    beeant
    All interface translators: I'm sorry if the effort might be wasted, but there are some of my efforts are wasted too, many features on JCJP are not really being used. Anyway, it's not 100% yet that JCJP will remove multi langual interface. So let's discuss.

so me, spanz, Gituska, and Artur has agreed on this.

But on the second thought, I think that multi langual interface is still possible. It is just management problem. It might be possible with certain limits, like stick with only certain languages, like maybe 3-5 languages. and then have a group page for translators.
    but still, the activeness of the translator is uncertain.

What do you think?
  • spanz
    spanz
    If you want to keep several languages, you must not worry too much about the translators' activeness. It's up to us.

3-5 languages or 10, I don't see the difference. If you can keep 3, you can keep 10.

As we don't receive notifications about changes, it's difficult to keep all updated and many things can be untranslated for a long time. That produces empty or inaccurate labels that you should avoid. As a temporary solution, at least you should fill for each language in the list, all the new variables (including old variables when they change) with your English version.
    There would be temporarily mixed-language pages, but at least they would be useable.
  • spanz
    spanz
    Just in case, my vote hasn't changed. Keep just one.
  • Artur
    Artur
    Anything new on this?
  • beeant
    beeant
    Not yet, I am currently working on this one: http://japaneseclass.jp/about_japan/trend/matsuri
  • beeant
    beeant
    <blackquote>As we don't receive notifications about changes, it's difficult to keep all updated and many things can be untranslated for a long time.</blackquote>

yes this one is true. I think I have to make our own translation page instead of relying on external site. I want more features on the translation page like chat, send email to all translators.

But I have to start from all 0 again. recruiting volunteers, tagging all the interface sentences/words.

I need help from someone who can tag all the words/sentences. make a list of the words/sentences that can be tagged. Anyone wants to volunteer?
  • beeant
    beeant
    for example, create a csv file with title pharse and location.
    something like used in facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/translations/index.php?app=1&aloc=ja_JP&translate;
  • spanz
    spanz
    Making a list of the words/sentences that can be tagged?
    IMHO, all the words/sentences must be tagged (except words like Facebook, Blog...)
    By the way, I don't use Facebook. Can you give us a example here?
  • beeant
    beeant
    I mean, not words, just phrases.
    But the problem is that, some phrases might be changed as time goes by.
    So some tagged and translated phrases might be useless due to future changes.

It's still good to start organizing things up, and keep track with updates and changes.
  • spanz
    spanz
    No, the phrases don't change. There are just NEW (untranslated) phrases. The old phrases and their translation will be wasted, tough.

I don't understand well your plan. Sorry, the example is really confuse.
    I think the current system is not that bad (for us), but I guess it's not good enough for you.
    Just change it whenever you want/can, and we'll help you.
  • Artur
    Artur
    @beeant:
    I guess I'm still the translator for the German version, or?

If you have that new system ready, I'll going to continue. (As I remember I only miss like 19 of over 250 translation strings, because I didn't had the time to translate those big text blocks.)

As I see from the image you add description to the different language keys. I like that idea. So confusion or wrong translations will be less the problem.
  • beeant
    beeant
    @Artur:
    Ya you can be the German translator all the time.
    But for now, I haven't create the system to translate it.
    And I think that the German translation and Spanish translation for the language interface is almost 100%. So it should be fine for now I guess. what do you think?

I will inform you when I got the new translation system done.

Thank you.
    bn
  • MagegirlNino
    MagegirlNino
    I think you should do whatever is easiest.
  • Artur
    Artur
    Any progress on that?
beeant