JCJP Update Blog
- beeant August 19, 2009 at 8:21amIf you are using twitter.com, now you can tweet your activity log from your statistics page.
- randykiyoshi August 19, 2009 at 2:15pmThanks for the link beeant. I was wondering why the forum wasn't there anymore. ^^
- beeant August 19, 2009 at 9:11pmI am sorry for removing the forum from the site.
I just think that this bulletin and forum has a similar function on this site. So with this bulletin, I dont think this site needs a forum anymore...
Also, I think that some user may get confused whether he/she should post in the forum or bulletin.
This bulletin may not be perfect, however if you give any suggestions and your needs on how a bulletin should be, your are free to give any suggestions.
for example, embed photo in the bulletin, embed video, attachment, etc.
I want to include this sub-feature on this bulletin feature, however I dont know if it will be necessary, unless some user tell me.
- ibun October 3, 2009 at 2:00ami know, i am not supposed to answer here BUT the new starting page... i dont like it ^-^. the chaptertestlist has to be up somewhere, well where it was. i think its an crucial part. opening your charts and seeng your chapterresults. atleast you could implement it in those row "comments, weak list, sentence" etc. since its top priotity is learning.....sorry for nagging
- beeant October 3, 2009 at 8:34amHello ibun,
its totally fine to post here, and that is the purpose actually...
Thank you for your suggestion, I already modify it a bit. Did you mean statistics page?
I tried to put the chapter test progress on the top of the tabs list, but it doesnt seem balanced with the height of the box on the left. So I put the activity tab on the top of the selection, as the activity list will grow.
maybe I will change the chapter test progress on the top of the selection after JCJP has enough chapters to fill in the height.
- beeant October 3, 2009 at 9:19amI changed the Chapter Test progress back to the first top selection, the page will automatically slide toggle the chapter lists of the user's level.
- ibun October 8, 2009 at 7:26pmhey ....would be hard to build a practice database based on the sentences.
Like "this ramen tastes like cat feet"
first english only and if there are more sentences for other languages than those? i understand that its risky since not everyone knows how to build correct sentences.
and again for the normal practice. may it be possible to implement the questions in both languages. you have the drop downmenue
what about "both"
question 3 japanese, 4 english, 5 japanese, 6 japanese, 7 english ,8 english
and then so on, just random.
- spanz October 9, 2009 at 3:32amI like the random option.
About making practice based on the sentences, I think it's very hard to do it well. If you put a correct answer and another three random ones, it will be very very easy to tell wich is the correct one. The incorrect answers should be similar or there will be no challenge at all.
- spanz October 9, 2009 at 4:32am所で、we need to vote also for the sentences that have no corrections.
And, can the author vote for him/herself?
I don't know if it's possible now, but I think it should be forbidden. And I miss the option to delete my own failures ^_^!
- ibun October 9, 2009 at 6:49am
just write one correct and take 3 sentences translated from beginners. they will all seem identical BUT only one is correct. that what i thought too. never the less it should be hard enough at first.
you'll have it in japanese with kanji etc and the answers are simplified with hiragana and katakana. would be easy to build some "wrongs" and let that "sentence practise" just be for level 3 and above so you can expect all learnes to know how to read in japanese. so it would be no strain for beginners. its just about collecting ideas.
- spanz October 10, 2009 at 2:30amIbunさん, I think taking beginner's sentences will be harder than building the wrong ones manually. You need many (three at least) wrong "beginner's" sentences to do that, so at the end you'll make them on purpose.
Beeant閣下, there is a little bug in the new Random Practice Question Page.
Well, I don't know if the bug is new or related to the last changes you've made.
If you start typing in the answer box, but then point & click an option with the mouse, the text in the box (possibly incomplete or mistyped) seems to be taken as the answer, and not the option selected with the mouse.
Due to that, you can select a valid answer but you get a failure.
And about the last changes, I think that there are only 7 vocabulary entries with double kanji form (separated with "/"), so it's nearly impossible try them at random.
- beeant October 11, 2009 at 1:05pmHello ibun and spanz,
thank you for commenting and discussing some possible modifications and features.
I'm sorry for my late reply,
first I like the all random idea, I will implement it ASAP.
for the sentence practice question, it is possible to be implemented, like instead of giving 4 options of 4 difference sentence, we can put 4 options of similar options but the word order is randomized, (force the user to read/practice reading). but, the problem is that, there are some sentences with errors.
the author cant vote for him/her self.
for the original sentence voting.
it is good to have votes for original sentence, to see if the sentence is good quality, but I dont really think that it is necessary. if it is really needed in the future, I will implement it.
I will fix this problem.
thanks for counting the number of vocabularies with "/", I thought there were many of them, haha.
You can try it when you find them, try level 1 vocabulary.
- kei_86 October 12, 2009 at 1:46amcan I suggest something here? Is it possible to have our wrong answer displayed at the side after making the mistake? Maybe below the correct answer that is shown on the left?
Sometimes people make unintentional mistake that they didn't even realized and they were sure that they were right but could not check what did they chose before. It would be helpful for reflection purposes.
- spanz October 12, 2009 at 10:30pmTwo small bugs in the new search sentence function.
Possible bug (or wrong formed sentence):
Search for "1" (without "").
back to sentence list
by bahasa_jepang via Bahasa Indonesia
1'>(sentence not available)
1' onclick='openAddnewsent("6", "alternate")'>1'>add English sentence translation
This "sentence" has not translation, but that doesn't cause problems in other phrases.
It seems that 1書物 is a problematic "sentence".
If you search for "ñ" (w/o "") in the English group, you get a bunch of illogical answers. Some of them include "via español", but some don't.
There should be zero answers, so clearly something's wrong.
Apart from these oddities, the searching function works very well. It search in both fields (japanese and translated). That's good. And useful!
- beeant October 12, 2009 at 11:19pmThank you for finding the bug spanz =D I owe you a lot!
I have fixed the 1書物 problem.
but I couldnt identify what is wrong with "ñ" problem...
for "via español" problem, I think that is normal, the Japanese sentence can be corrected from all group pages. So, this via message is to tell where is the correction comes from.
I will try to find the "ñ" problem, it seems like MySQL bug... but maybe my codes are wrong.
- spanz October 13, 2009 at 1:55amいいえ、こちらこそ！
The "via español" is not a problem. I just thought that the "ñ" in "via español" could explain the results, but it's not the case.
For your information, there are some characters that show similar behaviour.
Searching for one of these (or even sometimes strings of two or more of them) produces variable and absurd results. Surely these are not the only ones...
produces a lot of warnings without any visible sentence. Some of the results for "?" contain indeed the "?", but even in these cases, the sentence texts are not shown. Only the corrections are shown.
And if you want a really strange result, try searching for "."
Given the results, I thought that the string ".." should give the same answers. I was wrong...
I've checked if "ñ" in UTF8 / Unicode Little Endian / Unicode Big Endian can match partially some of the kana/kanji strings in the list, but doesn't seem
to be true, so I'm lost.
Anyway, none of these are big problems. You can leave the system as it is for the moment.
- beeant October 13, 2009 at 1:26amI have been feeling sad lately...
I have noticed that some websites (I dont want to mention) copy some features in JCJP.
They are working as a company and I am working alone...
As long as I released a new feature,
1-2 weeks later, I can see the same feature on their page.. =(
- beeant October 14, 2009 at 1:37amThank you for your motivating words spanz. =D
I don't want to give up, because I also like developing this site, meeting new people like you, etc.
For the searching bugs, as you said it is not a big problem ( I also think so ) so I will leave it as it is now.
I am planning to modify the whole codes of JCJP to make it more efficient, faster, and easier to maintain such as new feature development, etc.
Because of this, the new feature release might be delayed for a while.
- spanz October 13, 2009 at 3:26amI didn't see your sad comment. Sorry.
Are you sure they are copying you? several websites? すごい! You must be in the right way!
Take a break if you feel you've lost motivation. Maybe they will come with another idea you can copy.
Don't give up!
- spanz October 14, 2009 at 6:02amDon't worry too much, boss. We're not in a hurry.
"I am planning to modify the whole codes of JCJP to make it more efficient, faster, and easier to maintain."
Wow, sure you are a 働き者!
I hope you'll change the developing order, and give priority to:
2-Making JCJP easier to maintain (good idea, but you'll need a lot of willpower)
3-Making JCJP faster
4-Taking advice from fools like me
- beeant October 17, 2009 at 2:49amI have done around 5%-10% on rewriting the whole code.
Please be patient for the new feature updates. =D
- beeant October 17, 2009 at 4:43am10-4?
- spanz October 17, 2009 at 3:54am10-4
- spanz October 24, 2009 at 10:46pmHello, beeant.
Lately (aprox. from yesterday), I'm suffering multiple locks in the Random Practice with reverse mode Spanish vocabulary setting.
There are some answers that I can't select. Whenever one of these "special" answers is the correct one, I get stuck. In order to advance without a fail, I need to reload the page loosing all the combos.
Your code doesn't crash. Everything still works. The little ball mark follows the mouse, and I can select any other answer (failing the question, of course!).
If I click the correct one, nothing happens.
Is this problem related to your latest work?
(No need to fix it yet. Surely it affects only to reverse Spanish questions) This is only for your information.
Here are two of these "special" answers:
condición / estado actual
compañero / contrincante
tal que / como / así
los años 80
The last one (the correct one) is the only unselectable option. Every time this question appears, I get stuck.
palabra que simula el sonido de algo que no suena
de corazón / con el corazón
hecho / certeza / realidad
Here, the unselectable option is the third one.
The accented vowels and "ñ" don't cause problems in other questions, so I don't know what's happening here.
- beeant October 27, 2009 at 3:08amHello spanz,
Thank you so much for finding lots of bugs and report the problems to me. I will try to get it fixed ASAP, I am working on the next release, hopefully I can get it done by the end of November.
as I told you before, I am rewriting the whole codes from scratch.
Sorry for replying your long message with this short notice.
I will get back to you when everything is stable.
- ibun November 22, 2009 at 4:46ami was just curious, what was ment with "chat and lessons integrated"? i dont wanted to spam the other thread. °~°
- beeant November 27, 2009 at 12:06amHello,
I would like to inform to all JCJP users that the new JCJP is almost done, I am looking for volunteer for testing, looking for current bugs, though I have noticed some bugs and some error message still appear, I am also looking for small/big bugs that I havent notice.
If you would like to participate to be the first who use the new JCJP, please email me or tell me via this thread.
I am sorry but not everybody can try it for now, I may reject some.
- beeant November 22, 2009 at 4:55amIts something like you can chat and doing practice at the same time and in same window.
- arheena November 27, 2009 at 6:39pmNice, but how's the main page and statistics look like? Sono mama de ii to omou... New look is ok though, if it's still as informative as it is now...
- beeant November 27, 2009 at 9:44pmHello arheena,
Thank you for being the first who response to this post.
Actually the information will just gonna be the same, the main modification of the site the codes behind it (which you may not really care about)
I am hoping that with the new organized codes, I can release more new features in a more efficient way (faster).
Also, I did some modification to the layout. Basically, most of the new page layout is just the same. I am trying to make it cleaner design and free from distraction, and more organized. So that you can learn more efficiently.
Please tell me if you have any suggestion on the layout or anything.
- spanz November 28, 2009 at 3:19amIt's too soon to make useful comments, but I like the idea of showing the sentences in the vocabulary lesson. Too bad that you'll need a good filter (someone has to filter out the incorrect phrases), or the lesson won't be a true lesson.
Some silly questions:
1-What's the new page Recess? Sounds good!
2-And Community? It's a new name for Groups?
3-In the practice preview picture, below the answer box, there are two strange pink boxes:
-subject, theme, task
-6x wrong, added to weak list
These don't seem to have relation with the question above. What's their purpose?
Anoo, beeant-dono, if you want me to find stupid bugs, I would like to try the new version. Please!
- spanz November 28, 2009 at 7:07amTake your time, man, and don't forget your real classes. We don't need a deadline.
- beeant November 28, 2009 at 4:07amHello spanz,
Long time no talk.
The recess is actually just a category that includes Photo and Video, so its nothing new. ( I am trying to make this site to be like real Class, there are lessons, practice, tests, and also recess/break, haha this may sound silly.)
Community is also the same, its just a category that includes Groups and Bulletin.
For the Practice, I am trying to take a screenshot that shows all the features, so the 2 lines of pinkboxes are showing two different corrections.
- first is the correction for click answer
- second is for type answer (it doesnt show the typed answer on the screenshot because its been automatically reset)
I would be happy if you are willing to try the new version, but I am currently fixing some bugs and completing the kanji lessons (reorganizing the kanji lessons) so its kind of messed up now.
and I am trying to get a new server for the new JCJP (hopefully JCJP would make some money in the future to cover the extra cost) =(
After I got the new server, completed the kanji lessons, and fixed the bugs, I will let you know how to access it.
ps: since this month is a busy month for me, I am not sure if I can fulfill my promise that the new JCJP would be released by the end of November. I am really sorry for this. =(
- ibun December 2, 2009 at 11:39pmi think i have to use it first...but o.ô dunno.. i dont like it that much, but as allways its a personal thing of taste. since i am accessing everybit of information via one page: statistics. it gives a more compact feel than the new layout. like said, first have to use it, since a few screenshots are to less to judge all look&feel compared to usability. since this site works flawlessly and i didnt notice anyone complaining, you can take all the time you need
- arheena November 29, 2009 at 10:09amMore comments:
>> In the practice section, does it mean that we can't see both kanji and kana (like the way it is now)? And what is reverse vocabulary?
>> The main page looks simpler, with no today's ranking and recent users activity, but I think it's fine ^^
>> Where's the chat feature? is it in recess?
Good luck with the new server ^^
- beeant December 3, 2009 at 10:34pmHello,
I am sorry for my late reply,
arhena: you can select them both Kanji and kana and it will show both of them :D
Reverse Vocabulary is just like we have now, so English (other language) will be the answer and Japanese will be the question (for vocabulary practice)
Ya, I am trying to make it simple and comfortable for learning, and easy to use. Maybe I will put Today's ranking section on the ranking page.
I have not create a chat feature for the next release :(
ibun: the statistics page will give you the same information. Yes its true, by just looking at the screenshot, its difficult to tell.
Actually I am concentrating on usability on the next release layout design. But if you say so there must something is wrong with it or you should try it first.
Actually there are some complains coming from the feedback form. However most of the feedback are good and makes me happy :D anyway, I accept all feedback good or bad it doesnt really matter.
The next release is now ready for test, though it still hasnt got all the features that the current JCJP has. The problem is that I am having problem looking for a reasonable server/hosting for it :( I definitely let you guys know when its ready. =D
Thank you for your questions,
- ibun December 4, 2009 at 6:51amah youre implementing now mixed questions or did i get you wrong? would be nice to see that ^-^. i didnt meant to rant about it...sorry...it was just my impression, because i dont like candy colours. we will see after implementation....i can still complain after that ^-^ *laughs* give a call if the testing page is up.
thanks for your hard work o(^-^)b
- beeant December 25, 2009 at 6:04amOh ya,
I forgot to say, Merry Christmas Everyone!
- beeant December 25, 2009 at 6:02amHello,
Finally, I released the NEW JCJP! =D
I know there will be lots of bugs.
I hope that all of JCJP users will participate to find the bugs and report them to me.
Up until now, I would like to say thank you to spanz, arheena, ibun, tofuqueen, Mike for testing the new JCJP before I released it.
Special thanks to spanz who did a lot of bug finding, suggestions, etc. (spanz did a lot of stuffs!)
I am kind of busy now, so I will just leave this short release message and continue later.
Thanks to you all JCJP users! =D
- spanz December 25, 2009 at 7:25pmForget about the incorrect number of questions in the lesson's list. If the number in the little blue box is the number of kanji, then it's fine.
- spanz December 25, 2009 at 7:13pmMerry Christmas to you, too. Do you never rest?
I think Kanji practice is "fine" (you know, plenty of PHP errors everywhere, but it can be used). However, vocabulary is not usable.
Kanji practice answers seem to be ok under Firefox (tested only with level 1).
I don't know if some of the kanji weren't from level 1. I guess not.
At least one kanji lesson doesn't show the correct number of questions.
It says 10 questions, but the lessons has 16.
Well, today's not a good day to work too much, so Merry Xmas to everyone!
Err, Boss, why this box is so ***ing small?
"Currently this site only works with the best broswer, Mozilla Firefox"
Ha, ha, ha... oops, no! Ho, ho, ho! I like all the "broswers", but Firefox is the best! =D
- spanz December 25, 2009 at 8:07pmTadaima!
A simple test and a weird result:
If I visit this site with Firefox, I get many PHP errors everywhere, even in the main page. Errors like this:
A PHP Error was encountered
Message: Trying to get property of non-object
Line Number: 21
You have blocked for the moment the use of other browsers, so I faked the user agent of Chrome and Opera to appear as Firefox with these results:
Chrome: Same errors as original Firefox.
Opera: No errors shown.
The site works better with Firefox indeed. With Opera or Chrome, the tests and practice suffer several problems, so the only compatible browser right now is Firefox, but, why the php errors don't show under Opera? Or, why Firefox show them? They are really annoying.
As I don't see other users complaining about those errors, I guess it's only a problem on my side. Or maybe not? Deleting cache and cookies doesn't help.
Are there more users with this "problem"?
- Beltzar December 25, 2009 at 10:06pmWhen i use it with IE it relin me on mozilla's page.
I get something strong with bar progress.
it doesn't show us our progress :
http://www.japaneseclass.jp/user/user_statusbar/96/2876 to 15001 to level 2
I had less than 10% and the pic show us more than 95%.
- Morviuz December 25, 2009 at 11:51pmHo and Behold...XD
A PHP Error was encountered
Message: Trying to get property of non-object
Line Number: 21
A PHP Error was encountered
Message: Trying to get property of non-object
Line Number: 28
A PHP Error was encountered
Message: Trying to get property of non-object
Line Number: 30
- Morviuz December 25, 2009 at 11:49pmSame here, so many error on almost every page, tho the main content is still intact enough, all those error boxes is quite annoying.
- beeant December 26, 2009 at 6:29pmShort notice:
spanz: what is small? broswer is a typo error. about the number of kanji question, which chapter and which page? the error message will show if you go to www.japaneseclass.jp, it has been fixed now only japaneseclass.jp is allowed (no www)
Morviuz: error message fixed
Beltzar: level bar fixed
- beeant December 26, 2009 at 6:03amHello,
I am kind of busy now, fixing bugs, finding bugs, recovering my social life, taking some rest (for spanz), etc.
I will get back and reply soon.
Thank you very much for your cooperation =)
- spanz December 26, 2009 at 8:53pmBeeant, it's good to know you still have a social life.
The number of kanji is right (it was chapter 5), I thought the blue number represents the number of questions in the chapter, but it's the number of kanji in the chap, so all is fine.
About the small thing, I was referring to this comment box. Now is big enough (as it grows with the text). I don't know if you have just fixed it, but I was in Opera, and the box was too small. Now, it grows in Firefox and in Opera, so another 'bug' is gone.
I promise not annoy you so much for a while. For now, I'll only give you a Christmas bug present (ho,ho,ho, I'm evil):
I've challenged myself with other user of level 1, and the default settings for the challenge are for level 5. IMHO, a level 1 challenger should only be able of challenges from level 1.
- beeant December 27, 2009 at 2:11amI think that how it supposed to be. The settings level in challenge is according to the level of the "Challenged user".
So, user level 1 can challenge level 5 user with level 5 questions
but user level 5 cannot challenge user level 1 user with level 5 questions.
I just added this auto grow (textarea input) feature, because me myself also got annoyed by the small text area input before haha.
- beeant December 27, 2009 at 6:58pmHello TofuQueen,
Ya seems like there are no more serious problem anymore. (maybe there is some hidden ones)
Now I dont know if I should reset the database to 24 Dec 2009 or not.
- TofuQueen December 27, 2009 at 3:10pmHi beeant,
Looks good! \(^_^)/
I haven't had time to do much, but have been doing my usual (vocab & reverse vocab only, levels 1-5, showing kanji & kana) and haven't hit any problems or bugs; if I do I will let you know.
- beeant December 28, 2009 at 9:35pmThanks ibun.
Ya just the exp and all the history.. everything will be back to 24 December 2009.
Is that Ok?
For now I think that there is no need to do that.
- ibun December 28, 2009 at 5:08amgratulations sites up ^-^v ...what would change if you reset the database? o.ô? loosing just some exp etc?
- spanz December 28, 2009 at 11:37pmYes, there is no real need to restore the database, but you told us you would.
Maybe some users made some errors for testing purposes, or restrained themselves from doing practices because they knew that any progress would be lost.
Maybe now some users should be higher in the rankings or should have better stats.
I dunno, it's not important, but I think it's a bit unfair (provided such affected users exist).
You need much more opinions so, for the moment, leave it as it is and we'll see.
Can you make a poll system?. It could be useful for this and for future questions.
I see you've lifted the ban on webkit browsers (Safari).
Since this also affects users of Chrome, you should state it in the blog. (And HERE, too)
- TofuQueen December 29, 2009 at 5:13amHm, one suggestion...and quite possibly I'm weird in wanting this...it would be nice if my daily experience was visible on the "Practice" page while I'm practicing.
I have a daily goal that I try to meet throughout the day & it would be handy to have daily experience right there as I'm practicing. Of course I can easily check the "Ranking" page so it's nothing big.
Also wanted to tell you that I *LOVE* the new practice options, esp. being able to have vocabulary questions both regular & reverse, randomly! I feel like I learn the vocab a lot better when I get the questions both ways, & this makes it easy. \(^_^)/
- beeant December 29, 2009 at 10:03pmspanz: ya it works on Chrome too =), No support for MSIE yet =(
for resetting the database, I think I have committed myself to stay with the current database, since there are so many changes in current database architecture. It is gonna be so difficult to reset back and recover the architecture. So I that make this to be the official release.
TofuQueen: Ya I also think that the practice page should be more dynamic. I will work on it ASAP.
Thanks for giving a good feedback and suggestion!
- TofuQueen December 30, 2009 at 2:33amYeah, just something like another box along the top right with "today's exp" would be great.
Another quick suggestion - in "Practice", when the question is in Japanese, it's centered in the box, but when the question is in English, it's at the left side of the box. It would be nice if it could be consistent one way or the other - I have a small preference for centered, but either way would be fine.
- ibun December 30, 2009 at 1:14amit doesnt have to be something fancy...a simple bar like in the last interation would be enough OR you create 2 small extra boxes for the top line
Name;Level;base EXP; new=> Rank; exp Today...
- beeant December 30, 2009 at 3:29amibun: actually that is what i was thinking :)
I have implemented the Today's EXP point on the user header menu.
Now I have to do the level progress bar. I am thinking to put a 990px thin wide bar on the top of the page. what do you think about this?
TofuQueen: The positioning is just to tell you that the centered question in the random practice is a reverse vocabulary question.
Actually there is no specific reason of putting them in different position.
I just cant decide whether I should put the question in the middle or left.
I think if its in the middle, it looks better, but if its on the left, it reduces your eye movements.
What do you think?
- spanz December 30, 2009 at 3:35amAgreed with TofuQueen and ibun.
Beeant, I see you've added a little arrow showing the progress of practice. Can't you also change the total EXP points?
In my stats page, the sentences produce PHP errors.
Ah!, I can't get rid of a challenge notification.
- spanz December 30, 2009 at 5:58amYes, that's what I meant (actualize the total continuously).
By the way, I'm writing this in a PDA (opera mobile). The tests don't work, but the practice is usable (not the text input).
- beeant December 30, 2009 at 5:43amI have fixed the sentence problem in user statistics.
Thanks for detecting and telling me about the bug.
I have also added the feature of updating the Total EXP every time you answer a question in practice question ( is this what you meant? )
Thank you for your suggestion =D
for now all the notifications will be there, there is no way to delete it yet. Sorry... :( I will fix that later. ( I havent think of a good way of showing and deleting notification )
- spanz December 31, 2009 at 12:16amAbout the last "bug":
The second correction doesn't show the reason at first, but reloading the page it shows correctly.
- spanz December 31, 2009 at 12:13amHi!
In the Groups page, the new (only the new) sentences and corrections look weird. The spaces between words are not normal. It's like a justification (typographic alignment).
If you correct a sentence 2 times, the second one doesn't show the reason (only the first one shows it).
- beeant December 31, 2009 at 2:35amIt has been fixed!
Thank you for the report :)
- spanz December 31, 2009 at 3:55amFound the "typographic alignment" bug. It's only the highlighting box around the vocabulary in the sentence. The color is so dim, that it was invisible with my monitor. I had to change the monitor's temperature settings from hot to cold in order to see it clearly. Sorry!
I think each sentence needs a comment box (besides the correction box) to discuss the grammar.
- beeant December 31, 2009 at 5:30amspanz: do you mean the grey highlighted vocabulary of the sentence? isnt it black and and grey background? same like other grey highlighted... you cant see all the grey highlighted or just the one in sentence?
TofuQueen: liudude_123 just told me that he wants it on the left. Maybe I should run a vote for this... I also think that it is a minor thing, so i will fix it later after I can decide haha. Im sorry for this.
- TofuQueen December 31, 2009 at 4:58amQuick update on the daily exp. and constant updating of total exp., yay!
As far as the positioning of the Practice questions... It's easier for my eyes if all the questions are in the same place rather than having some centered and some on the left. I have a slight preference for centered questions because it helps keep my eyes off the answers so I can try to really remember/know the answer rather than just recognize it when I see it (if that makes any sense...). Definitely a minor thing, though, so not something to worry about if you're busy with other things. (^_^)
- beeant December 31, 2009 at 7:47amI used that color in many pages, so if I change that, I might have to change all of them. ><
have you tried to calibrate your monitor? new monitor is sometimes too bright.
I would fix the colors if there is any other user having this problem. but I agree that its not a good combination, white and that bright grey... :( I will fix that when I have time to deal with the color designs.
- spanz December 31, 2009 at 6:48amBeeant: Yes, those grey rounded boxes. The other grey boxes (as the top ones: Lessons, Practice, etc) are dim, but no so much. I can see them easily.
However the sentences boxes are way too dim for me. They seem to be as white as the background.
Well, I can see them lowering the color temperature setting. It's strange, because it's a new monitor.
Time to work for me. See you!
- spanz January 1, 2010 at 12:05am明けましておめでとうございます。
- spanz January 1, 2010 at 10:34amHi!
I have a omikuji for you. It reads: very good luck! =D
But, I bring you also a little bug to begin the year:
I did read and replied to the ibun's thread "Happy New Year", but the views count is still zero.
See you, and good luck for the whole year!
- beeant January 1, 2010 at 1:05amあけましておめでとう！
- beeant January 2, 2010 at 12:43amHello,
Thank you for the report, I will fix that ASAP.
However, I am currently not focusing on the language since I am still finding volunteers for the translations.
I will think of the best way to fix that problem while doing other stuffs.
I am sorry for the delay.
About the view, I have not write the code to update the views of threads, photos, videos. I will write that ASAP.
- spanz January 1, 2010 at 12:53pmMmmm...
If you change the language, you must log in again, dunno why. If you then log off, and you revert the language back, you are still logged in.
It seems there's a session for every language, and you can log in once for each language at same time.
Is this intended?
- spanz January 3, 2010 at 3:31amYo!
There's a little bug in the total EXP counter while you practice.
If you change the question settings, you break your combo chain (I don't like that, but that's another story).
With the new settings, the first question is not totalized. The daily partial is right, but the total lacks one question (7 or 10 points).
The next questions are correctly counted, but the total is always a question behind the real count.
- beeant January 3, 2010 at 6:23amHello,
spanz: about the settings, it is designed to be like that because once you change the settings, you should be starting a new practice set.
for the update exp problem, I think I just fixed that.
Thank you for the report =)
- spanz January 4, 2010 at 4:30amWow! There's a lot of changes... Good work, Boss!
About the EXP update problem: perfect.
You forgot a way to untag a photo. :(
- spanz January 4, 2010 at 10:39pmA cosmetic bug:
If you are not logged in, all the photo tag delete buttons are visible.
The buttons work, apparently. Luckily, when you reload the page, all tags remains untouched.
- spanz January 7, 2010 at 4:45amHi!
The sentences from Twitter while practicing are very interesting. Seeing the real usage is a good thing, although very hard to understand.
And about the "Google Translate" results, they're even harder to understand. The English translations are bad, but the Spanish ones are indescribable.
Well, it's only a matter of personal effort if you want to learn something from there, so I think it's a good feature.
Two questions about Twitter's sentences:
Is it legal using someone's conversations in other site?
Why many really common words have not Twitter button?
- beeant January 4, 2010 at 11:39pmya, thats not good.
I have fixed it! thanks for your report! =D
- ibun January 9, 2010 at 3:55amwhat about collecting all tests under one hood: sentence test, chapter test, phototest. old links should still be there.
there are no kanji in the practicetests anymore o.O? and i am sorry for beeing not usefull...kind of feel bad for not finding any real bugs
- spanz January 9, 2010 at 9:13pm@ibun:
About your suggestion, I don't understand you.
Do you want to mix practice and tests? You call everything "test", but beeant make distinction between practice and test (dunno why, as the tests are not necessary to reach higher levels).
I think using only EXP for the levels is not very logical. It makes tests (as beeant made them) pretty useless, and makes the user's level completely unrelated to the user's level progress bar. Well, I'm getting off the subject...
Let's see... You want to put all the tests together.
I think photo quizzes are essentially the same as practice (in fact, they've changed its name to "photo practice"), so "phototest" doesn't fall in the category of "test". Only Chapter tests are true "tests".
Well, despite of its name, what's a "sentence test"? I'd like to see it very much!
And, what "old links" are you talking about?
And, finally, what Kanji practice are you missing? Do you mean the level 5 Kanji tests or what?
Sorry, I really don't understand you. I'm dense today...
Don't feel bad, and keep suggesting things. That's very useful for the Boss.
- ibun January 13, 2010 at 5:34amcall it what you like, since photopractice, word practice or sentences practise, are all a kind of practise. call it a test. the old links are just the allready existing boxes, like those in the chapter tests.
sentence test was just that, what it sounds...what was discussed before. there are allready a lot of sentences and those put together in a practise(test how you want to call it, i am allways mixing those up). those are just suggestions...and everyone has a bad day or weeks or months ^-^
- beeant January 17, 2010 at 3:11pmibun: I like your idea about putting all practices into one. I am thinking about that too. but there is a problem like the settings of each practices are different. However I will try to integrate that. Thank You =D
TofuQueen: ya its kind of problem, but its difficult for me to put all the extra definitions for each vocabulary... maybe I will add a feature where you can make your own practice like adding a vocabulary (from practice or lesson) where you can modify the vocabulary as you like.
- TofuQueen January 14, 2010 at 5:49pmHm, I have a suggestion that might be more trouble than it's worth, but anyway...
It would help me if some of the English definitions were expanded/clarified. For example, just now I got "present" and I wasn't sure if it meant gift, the act of giving (to present an award), or the current time (not past, not future, present). There are others that don't differentiate between a noun & a verb - does "cry" mean "to cry" (to weep) or "a cry" (a sound)?
Not a big deal as I *can* figure them out, but would be nice if the English definitions were clearer. (^_^)
- beeant January 18, 2010 at 3:43pmJapanese Language interface is available now
- beeant January 17, 2010 at 3:12pmI am sorry for my late reply, I am kind of busy these days =(
- spanz January 19, 2010 at 10:49pmYo!
There's something strange with the upper menu.
If you change the browser's zoom level, sometimes (depending on the zoom level), the most right button (community) change its position from right to left (under the lessons button).
In the English version, the default zoom is OK, but in Spanish, it isn't.
Changing the zoom you can send the button to its natural position, but this is not good.
Besides, my translation of "Bulletin" as "Tablón de Anuncios" seems to be too long, dunno why (there's plenty of space). The button is splitted vertically in two pieces.
- spanz January 19, 2010 at 11:10pm
The mobile "community" button is wrong placed also in other languages.
In the case of French, is ALWAYS wrong. You can't place it right with any zoom level.
- spanz January 20, 2010 at 1:57amYes, that fixed the Community button.
I can translate "Bulletin" as "Boletín", or like in the French version, "Forum", but I don't like it very much. It's not the same. Since there's so much empty space, why a longer string is bad?
- beeant January 19, 2010 at 11:24pmI have fixed it with smaller and cuter login form.
is there any short synonym for bulletin in Spanish?
- spanz January 20, 2010 at 2:06amHave you removed the Recess menu? Now needs even more space!
Btw, the menu bar on the left is vertically misaligned with the bar on the right.
- beeant January 20, 2010 at 3:08amHello spanz,
actually there are many of the word length that doesnt fit with the size. not only Bulletin in Spanish, also some other like Take tests etc.
This is a problem, but I want to fix it all at once to be consistent.
So I think I will leave it as it is for now and get back to it ASAP.
Is it ok?
I am sorry.
- spanz January 20, 2010 at 3:47amOk, Boss. No need to fix it with dirty patches. When you have a good solution, fix it.
What about the Recess?
And, the "Mouse Over Photo Vocabulary List" doesn't work for me. :(
- spanz January 20, 2010 at 4:46amForget it. The "Mouse Over Photo Vocabulary List" works fine. It was a problem with a cached page version or something like that, and only in Firefox.
After many tries, a simple reload has fixed it... :)
- beeant January 20, 2010 at 11:55pmHello,
Thanks for the good suggestion.
At first I thought this idea was great.
but actually the photo is being resized in the photo practice. meaning that if I put the whole photo, then:
1. the tag mark will be even smaller.
2. if its ok even the tag mark is small, then it puts so much work to resize the tag, so many calculations: the location of the tag location, the percentage of the tag mark dimension size.
So I think that this is almost impossible to implement. Also doesnt really benefit small tag mark...
But really, small cropped photo from small tag is kind of a problem.
- spanz January 20, 2010 at 11:28pmA little suggestion.
As you know, some of the photo tags are very small and cannot be used in photo practice because without context, they are very difficult to recognize.
However, they are perfectly valid in context.
Wouldn't it be better to leave the whole picture and highlight the tag box, instead of cutting and leaving only the tag box in practice?
In other words, the same effect as mousing over a tag in the photo page.
This way, all the photo tags will be valid to do photo practice.
- spanz January 21, 2010 at 12:13amMaybe the resizing to the final (as in practice) size should be done when the photo is uploaded the first time. If the tagging is not acceptable with the final size, it won't be acceptable for practice. If the tagging is ok, then it'll be ok as well for practice.
About the present photos, they should be resized offline and reuploaded to see if they're valid or not. Uff! Too much work, I guess...
- spanz January 21, 2010 at 3:17amVideo quiz works only from the local video page. From global page (clicking in the number of vocabularies) you get a 404 error.
- beeant January 21, 2010 at 2:03amYa I think I will do that later when I have more free time. =(
- spanz January 22, 2010 at 5:53amHi!
Something's wrong with the photo tagging system.
Look at my tag in the photo beeant672713.jpg
1- The tag fields Hiragana and Kanji are shown (or entered) in reverse order.
I've tried it two times to be sure, and the fields got reversed each time.
2- I can't delete the reversed tags. They disappear, but if you reload, they reappear.
- beeant January 21, 2010 at 4:28amIt has been fixed!
Thanks a lot, I didnt notice the wrong link for so long haha
- beeant January 22, 2010 at 12:38pmHey,
Thsnks a lot for detecting the delete bug, I have fixed it.
But I dont understand about the reveresed tag...
- spanz January 23, 2010 at 1:47amThat's easy! Look at the lasts tags.
The Kanji entered is listed in the Hiragana column, and the Hiragana entered is listed in the Kanji column.
I think the fields are correctly entered, because the photo quiz shows them correctly. They are reversed only in the tags list.
- spanz January 23, 2010 at 2:35amTwo little problems with the photo practice:
1- There are some tags repeated in the tag database. They belong to different pictures, but they have the same Kanji, Hiragana and/or English name.
(For example, there are several 目,青,雲...)
Due to that, when you practice, you can get two or more random options that are exactly the same. I don't know if the system distinguishes between the options or all are valid.
Perhaps you should put a tag filter to avoid duplicates when they are entered.
Or even better, put the filter in the quiz's random selection. If the random option is equal to one of the other three, pick another one until all of them are different.
2- The photo loading/resizing time can be pretty high (some photos are relatively huge). If you answer too quickly, the photo can be shown too late, when you are already in another question. That's very confusing.
- spanz January 23, 2010 at 1:50amIn other words, the tag list has the top labels misplaced.
- beeant January 23, 2010 at 3:13pmspanz: I will get back to you ASAP
- beeant January 24, 2010 at 5:15pmHello spanz,
For problem number 1, I think this seems so visible because the current photo vocabulary database only has few vocabularies. I am hoping that there will be more and more tags and photos. So one vocabulary doesn't need to have only one photo.
I think I have updated the multiple choice options codes last 2 weeks. Did it change?
For problem number 2, ya this is one of the server problem... =( That is why I am asking for donations ;(, I know that this is not good for the users, because I am thinking to make this site to be completely free, but I the income from advertisements is not enough at all.
I am currently working on some features which are limited only for donators.
- spanz January 24, 2010 at 7:26pmAbout the multiple photo tags, there's no real problem if different photos share the same tag. The problem arises when you choose the four options to make the quiz.
If you build the quiz randomly, sooner or later (depending on the database size), some (two or more) of the options will be the same. This is true right now (at least 2 days ago). I don't know about your changes 2 weeks ago.
If the check code validates all of the correct answers as good, then the problem is not very important. The quiz will be ugly and the difficulty will be decreased, but nothing more.
If the check code validates only the answer from the given photo as good, then we have a problem, as we can't tell which one is the correct (unless all of them came randomly from the same photo). This would be an important problem.
To avoid all such things, once you choose one photo and one tag randomly, you shouldn't select the other three answers completely at random. You should avoid any coincidences, not only with the correct one, but also among the other three.
The exchanged labels mistake (Hiragana & Kanji) is fixed. Thanks!
- spanz January 24, 2010 at 8:28pmLook at this Kanji test (from the new chapter 41):
The two first answers are the same. Luckily, they're wrong...
- spanz January 24, 2010 at 8:48pmIn the new kanji lessons, there are some kanji readings in katakana. They seem to be onyomi, but there's also many onyomi readings written in hiragana.
Besides, some of the kanji lack readings. At least, they should have the readings used in the given combinations, ne?
Sorry for give you so much work!
- beeant January 25, 2010 at 12:38pmHello spanz,
Thank you for your kanji tests mistakes report.
I have fix two of them.
for the lessons, I will fix that ASAP, currently I am using third party database to get those readings, and definitions of kanji, there maybe some errors because of that, or the database doesnt have it. So I have add them, manually to the database.
if it is possible, please help me, you can give me a list of kanji which has that problem and the chapter it belongs to.
- spanz January 25, 2010 at 6:02amIn Kanji chapter 42 tests there's a question about 鳥肉.
In that question, I think that two of the four options are correct:
Only the last is accepted as correct. In this case, I forgot to copy & paste, so maybe I'm wrong.
- spanz January 26, 2010 at 2:21amI think the new EXP system is too generous. It gives too many points for high levels. It even gives more points than before for level 1!
It would be better to leave the normal comboX7 or comboX10 system if the users practice questions from their own level, and give LESS points if they practice questions from lower levels.
That reminds me of something I said elsewhere. Why let a user going up a level without having passed the exams? If the criterion to level up were examinations (tests), no one would get stuck at a low level. (Eg, no one would like to be in the top ten of EXP being only Level 2)
Of course, this should be combined with a system that rewards coherent level practices and punish the lower level practices.
About the readings, do you want to check all the levels for lack of readings / hiragana in onyomi, or only the new ones?
- spanz January 26, 2010 at 4:48amAh, sorry! In the example in the blog you said vocabulary is 7+1, so I thought kanji would be 10+level. I've even doing some level 5 kanji practice without noticing I was being rewarded with c(7+5). I can be so distracted...
Now I think it's slightly generous. Not bad. But I did want some punishment! XD
1-What do you mean with "you need more EXP to pass higher level though"?
2-If tests aren't unrelated to the level progress, what's the point of tests?
3-I'll quote myself: About the readings, do you want to check all the levels for lack of readings / hiragana in onyomi, or only the new ones?
I found a level 5 kanji practice mistake (correct answer, wrong result), but a little bit later the page stopped and now that it's working again, I can't remember it!!!!
- beeant January 26, 2010 at 3:28amNo, no, the Base kanji EXP for level one is 7 and 5 for vocabulary
it was 10 and 7 before.
Do you still think its too generous? (you need more EXP to pass higher level though)
- spanz January 27, 2010 at 12:13am1-Have you set the level passes higher? They seem the same as before...
2-The dungeon metaphor is a good one. That explains all very well. I thought that the site was simulating a class, but the RPG point of view is ok. There's no real need to change the system.
3-I think the only way to fix the readings is manual work. There are often too many readings for a given Kanji, so you can include only those that appear in the combinations (and add combinations for the kanji that doesn't have one). If I can help somehow, tell me.
Good luck with your exams!
P.S. Hahahahahahahahahahah! I wasn't talking about the server memory! I said that I had discovered a bug, and then I forgot what it was! The server crash only distracted me, the lack of memory was mine, and what I wanted to buy was a new brain for me!
I wanted to say something like "I'm going to go out to buy a new brain".
Ahh... as expected, my Japanese is even worse than my English... :)
- beeant January 26, 2010 at 5:00pm1. I will give you the list of the Total EXP you have to earn per level.
15000EXP to reach level 2
30000EXP to reach level 3
30000EXP to reach level 4
40000EXP to reach level 5
as you see on this list, you know that you need more EXP to reach/pass higher level.
2. In the beginning when I created JCJP, I wanted to create a web based online RPG game. So this Chapter test, is just like a quest for you to complete to make your statistics looks better or cooler. In RPG game, usually, you don't need to complete a quest to level up.
Chapter tests, can also be treated as a dungeon, which you need certain level to enter the dungeon. As well as Video Quiz, Photo Quiz (this is a free dungeon with no level requirement). Also, more coming features such as users can make their own lesson ( create their own dungeon )
Do you think I should change the system to take completion of chapter tests into level up requirement?
3. Actually, this is kind of big problem, because I have seen some weird readings (but not wrong, it has too many data that makes it looks so difficult which actually you don't really need all of them) of kanji from the third party database, I guess I would have to fix them manually :( but it is a lot of work, and now is my examination week ><
Yes the server is also one of the biggest problem =(
The memory is installed in the server, I cannot just buy memory and add more memory like my Computer. So to add more memory to the server I have to upgrade to a more expensive hosting package...
ps: it should be just 買えよ! also メモリー or ラム
- spanz January 27, 2010 at 5:01amHi!
This is probably the bug I found previously:
The correct reading is たいしゅう. In the lesson is OK, but in the Kanji Test Chapter 46 and in the Random Practice, the valid (incorrect but accepted) answer seems to be たいしょう. Thanks to that, I've got now a triple entry in my weak list. :(
- spanz January 29, 2010 at 7:57pmお邪魔しまぁぁぁす。
Please, take a look at these little things when you have time.
Besides the lack of readings in Kanji lessons, in Kanji Test Chapter 48 (question 6 of 25):
The Kanji 捕 doesn't seem to belong to any Kanji lessons (from ch. 1 to 50)
However, it appears in vocabulary ch. 48, in other different combinations and readings.
In Kanji Test Chapter 48 (question 16 of 25):
The Kanji 紀 belongs in fact to the Kanji ch. 48, but it has no combinations there. Instead, the question uses a combination from Vocabulary ch. 48.
Are you making Kanji test questions from the corresponding Vocabulary lessons?
- beeant February 1, 2010 at 7:42pmHello spanz:
those two have been fixed!
As usual, Thanks a lot for your report.
Ya, of course I always want to make each level of vocabulary and kanji coherent, but not perfectly coherent though.
- spanz February 7, 2010 at 3:10amThanks, beeant. お疲れ様。
A little question about sentence comments:
Does the author receive a notification?
And the other posters in the same sentence, do they receive it as well?
All of them should be notified (imho).
- beeant February 8, 2010 at 7:21pmHello spanz,
Sorry for my late reply.
Ya, they will get notification, but still "a notification without a message" I am still working on it.. =D
- spanz March 8, 2010 at 2:31amHello, Boss!
A little bug:
The new field to report an incorrect/missing vocabulary entry has a fixed limit of 30 characters. Clearly insufficient. Can't you make it dynamically growable?
- beeant March 8, 2010 at 5:55amhello spanz =D
the 30 characters limit is done on purpose.
its just a place to suggest. not for discussion or anything.
in other words, I just want it to be brief. it will also appear as a tool tip in the report listing (if you mouse over on the reporter name).
maybe I should put it as 'suggestion' instead of 'reason'?
why do you need more than 30 characters, what do you need to insert? I can add some more if you really think that it is insufficient.
- spanz March 9, 2010 at 3:28amYo! It's me again.
I've tried the problematic vocabulary report system, and now I think "reason" fits better. I thought that you should put the correction right there, but the real correction takes place in the groups page, so "reason" is ok. Sorry.
As with other fields here and there, I miss the possibility of delete or edit the reports.
- spanz March 9, 2010 at 12:40amAh! I see.
Yes, "suggestion" or "alternative" will be way better than "reason".
I was simply trying to explain my translation candidate. If you only put the new candidate, then there's a lot of room.
In order to correct some vocabulary translation, you have to know the level and the chapter it belongs.
We need a search function, and that reminds me an old unsolved "problem": repeated words through different levels.
What if we want to correct a repeated word? Which one are we correcting?
I prepared some time ago (before the vocabulary level reestructuration) a list of repeated words in English and in Spanish (the lists are not the same!)
I'm not sure of the effect of the reestructuration in my old lists. Surely, they are now desynchronized.
What do you think of this? I think it can be a problem.
And a final suggestion:
In the site's badge there's no info about user's level. It won't take too much space, ne?
- spanz March 9, 2010 at 4:18amSorry! The last one for today:
In the Reported Problematic Vocabularies tab, you can suggest your own translation, but the current one is not shown.
- beeant March 9, 2010 at 11:13pmHello spanz,
I have fixed "the current one not shown" problem.
and I have changed the reporting system.
so the reporter has to fill in 2 field.
1. The translation suggestion: goes to suggestion list
2. Reason: goes to report list
- beeant March 13, 2010 at 4:52amActually, in the current reply/commenting system, the one whose being notified is only the parent of the the comment (the one who started on the top).
I also think that it should be all of the users involved in the conversation. I will write the code for it. you can remind me again if I forgot because my To Do list has grown big
Its kind of difficult for me to write the codes that has emailing involved, because I'm afraid that I will mistakenly send the notification to all users. So, it's kind of scary =( but I will do it carefully when I'm doing it.
as for the bulletin thread, I have to write double feature in this case.
1. the notification for all users involved in the thread.
2. the unsubscribing feature, im still thinking about the best way to do it.
- spanz March 13, 2010 at 3:11amGood!
Just some thoughts:
I see suggestions, reported problems, and all kind of conversations, questions and answers everywhere. In particular, those comment chats in the user's boxes.
Sometimes, I feel I don't know where to write something, because I'm afraid the other user is not going to read me.
Who's being notified when you reply to a comment in your own box?
It is better to reply to someone there, or in the other user's box? In this case, you lose the context, but you can be sure the other user is notified.
And when you reply to a comment in other user's box? Who's notified?
What about the weird "someone wrote something somewhere" message?
In other words, can you explain the current notification system?
If some other user replies to one of your posts in an other user's bulletin's thread, is there a possibility of a notification?
Can't you make a Bulletin's comment system like the one in the user's box?
How do you manage to read all the messages sent to you from so many places?
Time Out for me! :(
- spanz March 15, 2010 at 2:58amIf only the comment's parent is notified, then the current system is dangerous.
That To Do list must be something. Can we see it?
About the bulletin, your idea sounds good. Not a complex concept, so I hope it will be easy to implement.
- spanz March 19, 2010 at 11:25pmCurious bait, random points.
Have you fixed the repeated tag problem?
Currently, there's only 89 photo tags (I deleted 16), so Photo Practice really needs many more photos to keep user's interest. In Video Quiz, there's approx 350 words, so it's not very good, but better than Photo Practice.
- spanz March 20, 2010 at 4:20amAbout the notifications, if I've understood correctly, the comment box's owner is left out of the fun. Why?
About the repeated tags, did you fix the problem "again"? When did you fix it the first time? I saw the problem two days ago.
Yes, I only know how to count to 350, hence my error...
- beeant March 20, 2010 at 1:20amHello spanz,
I think I just fixed that problem again, hopefully the problem wont show again.
yes we need more photo tags and more photos, we have to wait. =D
wow you actually count those words =D
the exact number is 354 words in the video quiz.
- beeant March 21, 2010 at 5:26amHello spanz,
I have modified the sentence listing in user statistics and the notification.
For now, I just did a simple fix for that, maybe I will remake everything on the next version of JCJP. (if there is a chance for a remake)
Ya there are a lot of problems on that calculations... =( I will fix that ASAP.
If I list all the non-translated vocabularies, the loading page for some groups will be so long, so I will just show random 27 non translated vocabularies.
same like PS.1
- spanz March 21, 2010 at 3:57amおす！, beeantさん!
I guess this is going to be difficult, and you're not going to understand a thing, but I want to tell you anyway. Mwahahaha...
I've received this notification:
milkyboon made a correction on your sentence.
It's great to receive such a notification, but if I want to look at the correction, I'll have to ask milkyboon directly about it.
There's two links in the notification, one to milkyboon's stats page, and one to my own stats page (clicking in the word "sentence"), and none of them help me to find my involved sentence.
I've checked all the correction marks inside the sentence's tab in my stats page without success (btw, take note of a new bug: the sentence list is not complete).
I tried too searching in the languages group page, but the search function doesn't search for users, so it's useless for this purpose. I did a manual (and not very deep) check and I didn't find anything.
Maybe the correction is a translation correction, and not a sentence correction. I don't know.
The user milkyboon doesn't seem to belong to any group, neither English, nor Spanish, nor any other group.
Maybe this notification is product of a bug or some test.
If the notification is not real, I don't want to bother milkyboon.
Do I need to ask him?
P.S.1- Looking other groups, I've noticed something odd:
All the groups seem to have a ghost member.
You can see the number of members of a group in the group's list, but once you open any language page, there's one less member. Is this what you mean when you say you're not good at maths? W!
P.S.2- What's this title that appears in all the groups?:
27 Random Non Translated Vocabularies
P.S.3- Why, for example in the English group, the proportion of translated vocabulary is 83 % and at same time you can see "All Vocabulary Translated"?
- spanz March 21, 2010 at 7:06pmGood work.
The notification system is getting better, but (putting aside the strange wording)it lacks a true link to the message.
For example, I've just replied to two different comments in two different posts in your comment box. Now, I guess you've received two notifications, and now you know you have two unread messages somewhere in your box. What messages?
You don't know. You have to read them all, and you must be able to distinguish the new ones.
What we need is a link to the real message. For example, a scroll to the new message point in the page, and some kind of message highlighting (like a different color).
- spanz March 23, 2010 at 1:19amThe dictionary works very well. I like it. You can copy/paste the Kanji/Kana/meanings, and you don't need to specify if you want J->E or E->J. It just lacks a search button. Using the enter key is good, but you can put also a search button.
When you paste some word to search it, having to push the enter key is strange.
- beeant March 22, 2010 at 10:56pmhighlighting message is possible, but there are already so much codes in the page like statistics code.
Actually there are a lot of possibilities to make JCJP much better, but for now, I want to keep the site as efficient as possible, as JCJP is currently using an economic server (256MB of memory).
I will modify it when JCJP go to the next step.
Thank you for your suggestion =D
Anyway, I have just wrote a dictionary page. I have not release it officially to public, but whoever read this thread, I'd like to share it with you guys who wants a simple dictionary from Edict database:
- spanz March 23, 2010 at 6:03amAnd a weird one.
In the EXP earnings graph (the Open Flash Chart in the statistics page), there's a very strange bug:
There's no March 14!!!
- spanz March 23, 2010 at 1:25amAn easy one.
It's time to change the © 2009 JapaneseClass.jp message at the bottom left.
- spanz March 23, 2010 at 6:31amA suggestion:
Perhaps you should limit the minimum size of the photo tags. And show a little explanation when you're going to make a tag.
- beeant March 27, 2010 at 6:07amHello spanz,
That is a good idea, its like its better to prevent...
That is possible, I will add that to my To Do list.
I want to write explanation for everything, but if that explanation always showing for every users, its gonna be useless in the long-term and take so much space for explaining things.
It's still better to write all of them in the FAQs and Help page, which I am currently considering and working on it.
PS: currently, I'm feeling kind of guilty because I don't really take in serious consideration on users' suggestions/input =(
I will implement the minimum size of Photo Tags.
- StonerPenguin April 12, 2010 at 8:08amD'awww thanks! You wrote a post about my donation, how nice! :D
Although I must say, as I wrote before, I didn't donate quite that much. I donated 2493 yen (26.65 USD) and from that PayPal took 468 yen (5.00 USD). I just wanted to make that clear so people aren't discouraged from donating, thinking that PayPal cuts more than it really does.
- spanz April 26, 2010 at 3:28amInteresting feature.
Beeant, in your note examples, (animals and verbs), the language header should be "English", not "Language"!
- spanz April 26, 2010 at 4:09amHi! I've made a stupid test note and it works very well. Making personal note quizes will be a great feature.
(Don't worry about my stupid note. I'ts just a test, and I'll delete it tomorrow)
A possible "bug": In the stats page, the new button "Note" shows the number of notes made by the user, but when you click on it, you get the whole notes list, unsorted. A filter to show only the user's notes would be good.
- spanz April 27, 2010 at 12:52amNo more bugs...
A simple suggestion about the Note feaure:
Why Note? Change the Note name to something like Personal Vocabulary.
Other than that, it's very simple and it works. Good work!
And just an idea, maybe for a future feature: you can add the possibility of adding multiple language translations for a given Japanese word or expression.
For example, if I like some user's list, I'd like to add a Spanish column to that list. And if an user using the Spanish interface wants to take that quiz, the questions will be in Spanish (if available).
- beeant April 26, 2010 at 1:24pmHello spanz,
Thank you for your bug report!
I will write the quiz feature ASAP.
any other bugs or suggestions?
- spanz April 27, 2010 at 3:55amAh! I see... I forgot the class metaphor. Sorry. In Spanish, "nota" (note) is very generic (any kind of small text can be called "nota"). The notes you take in class are usually called "apuntes".
Haha, your first reason is weak :), the second one is logical (now that you explained it to me!) and the third and fourth ones are very good, especially the last. Good idea!
So now, I like Notes (in plural). It's not too long, is it?
Yes, I agree that the Multi-language would be hard to do. Keep it simple for now. Simplicity is a good thing, and it takes less work!. w!
- beeant April 27, 2010 at 1:03amNote is because:
- its some kind of a note.
- remember the site name, its a class haha.. note and taking notes is part of a class
- note is short and simple, personal vocabulary is too long
- in the future, you can take notes (add vocabulary to your note) from lesson page and practice page.
why do you think Note is not a good name for that feature? I really would like to know.
ya, I thought about that also before, like adding your own definition, but I want everything to be simple. you can add a long definition in the (for example) English section. It's your personal note, but just other users can borrow and see your notes, if its note convenient enough for other users, at least its convenient for you who took the note.
thats the concept.
Multi-language for one set of note is also a good way to make the note simple. but the note you make, is actually for yourself, where other people can see.
Well, this is a good idea, but its kind of difficult for me to write the codes.
I am trying to make it simple in the beginning, and let it grow to advancement according to user needs (just like other features).
I will keep this Multi-language feature in mind, maybe you can remind me if I forgot. ( the to do list didnt work well for me, I took all what I wanted to do in the To Do List, but it has grown so big now, made me lazy to review them >.< )
- spanz April 27, 2010 at 5:00amOops! A Note bug:
A PHP Error was encountered
Message: Undefined variable: note
Line Number: 8
This error shows when you add a vocabulary. The vocabulary is added anyway, so this is a strange error. All seems to work...
- spanz May 1, 2010 at 8:57pmHi again, beeant!
Another ideas about the Note feature:
Besides the title, I think a Note needs an optional description field.
And maybe (if that doesn't break too much your code), you can allow additional and optional free fields for each entry (user controlled fields): comment, part of speech, whatever.
Of course, that fields are meant to be out of the tests.
Yes, I know a dynamic field's list is going to be very hard to do. Just dreaming...
Anyway, Stoner-chan has begun a nice Note for a vocabulary list that can be of interest: Smart.fm's Core 2000 3/10 (arguably the hardest one of the series!).
As the list is somewhat large (200 entries) to enter by hand, I've used a macro to upload the whole list.
Sorry, Stoner! The credit goes to you! I only did the dirty work :)
Beeant, you can change the name and the owner of my Note to Stoner. The idea was hers, so she deserves it.
I'm not sure if you want to allow contents from other sites (you could have legal issues), so you are free to delete the lists.
Congrats on the migration to the new server!
Your most annoying user ever, Spz.^_^!
- beeant May 1, 2010 at 9:14pmoh ya, hows the new server? any improvements? complaints?
- beeant May 1, 2010 at 9:10pmYa, actually thats kind of a problem...
putting the site's name, and similar name for the note.
I dont know if it is legal, but its just like a note where you can take everywhere.
commenting was already in my mind when I see the title of StonerPenguin's note, because I wanted to put a comment on it. Thanks for thinking the same thing, haha. I am thinking to just have a comment section for each note, are you saying that each vocabulary has to have comment section?
Ya, I migrated JCJP to a new server yesterday. I hope there wont be any problem, because I put some additional code to deal with timezone difference between the two servers. I dont know if that additional code will affect all the codes of JCJP (purposed to affect everything). this timezone thing is really important for JCJP. Hopefully there wont be any problem.
If there is any problem, please report it to me.
Anyway, nice macro system, adding 200 vocabularies, without any typing effort?
- spanz May 2, 2010 at 2:27amMore Note news:
At last, I've decided to merge the Part of Speech with the English meaning.
That way, the need of another field is not so important.
I've uploaded another Note with the PoS added between square brackets and I've deleted the old one.
The 2 seconds delay doesn't seem to be enough to assure zero loses. I've increased the delay to 3 seconds.
Ah, the PHP errors are still there. They appear instead of the English label.
Don't forget to give all the credit to Stoner-chan!
- spanz May 1, 2010 at 9:55pmNo, I don't think each vocabulary will need a comment section. Only the whole Note, but maybe some lists will need it. Only users will tell.
Probably we'll need more fields to make grammar notes that can be used in tests.
For example, I had to cut the part of speech field from the Core2000 list. You can see that Stoner-chan included the suru-verb part into all the fields to make sure the users know what the entry is. I just deleted that column from my list.
Having a field to include that would be great for this type of lists.
The site seems to work ok, just a little slower for me when loading pages.
When answering questions, it feels as fast as the old one. The only thing I've seen that doesn't work are the translated pages.
Of course, I haven't typed anything. I've captured the list from the Smart.fm site (directly from the screen with a table plugin), text-processed it a bit and uploaded it with a Firefox Imacro.
In less than a minute you can upload the 200 entries, but some of them get lost in the cyberspace (probably too many uploads for the server).
I had to add a 2 seconds delay between entries in order to upload the whole packet without loses. :( Maybe if you can optimize the server some more, the delay won't be neccessary.
Keep the good work!
- beeant May 2, 2010 at 4:04amI think the PHP errors was because I restarted the server several times today.
I am having problem setting up DNS zones for the language subdomain problem. but still no luck :(
do you know anything about setting up DNS zones for subdomains in centOS?
- spanz May 2, 2010 at 6:24amThe PHP errors appeared 5 days ago, so it must be something else.
They show instead of the header label "English", so I guess the problem is related to that label. Do you remember the wrong old label "Language"?
You fixed that problem 5 days ago, and I remember seeing the correct label, but only one time. The second test I did (10 minutes after), the PHP errors were already there... until now.
Nope, I have no idea about your DNS problem. Sorry for being useless... :(
- beeant May 2, 2010 at 8:23amif its just a small note to help describing the vocabulary, ya I think its better just to include it in the language (eg English) input.
because, if there are 2 fields to describe the Japanese vocabulary, its going to be difficult which one to take for the question in quiz. What do you think?
I will fix the PHP error, right now, Im having difficulties with setting up/optimizing/normalizing/etc the new server. its almost all manual... :( kind of difficult for me
- spanz May 2, 2010 at 5:49pmMaybe you can add only one Note free field for writing things like "written usually in Kana alone", "Polite version of X", "Colloquial use", "Female use", etc.
That field could contain the Part of Speech as well.
I'm not sure whether the PoS is better in the Language field or not. Maybe in Quizes that info is going to be distracting.
A couple of hours ago, the subdomains were almost working. The links gave me 404- page not found- errors, but at least the links were pointing to the right server. Now the links point to nothing again (server not found).
- spanz May 2, 2010 at 8:58pmSpanish subdomain is working perfectly now. Thank you very much!
- beeant May 4, 2010 at 5:23amHello spanz,
sorry for my late reply,
ya it was working just for testing.
Its easy to make it just working, but the easy way make the server directory to be not neat :(
if there is no other way, I will take the easy way... since there is no choice :(
I'm sorry for this problem.
- StonerPenguin May 5, 2010 at 3:00amWow! I see you guys are working hard :) I'm not really computer savvy so I'm useless when it comes to stuff like this but thanks so much for all the effort!
Congrats on the new server (I hope it isn't costing too much...) This new server seems to be just fine. Like spanz, I also get an error message when I add new vocabularies to the notes. But it really doesn't seem to be a problem, so I wouldn't worry about it. Keep on doing what you're doing :D (But keep on your college studies though :P )
Thank you beeant, thank you spanz.
- spanz May 5, 2010 at 3:52amI'm not working hard... I just try to help sometimes. Most of the time, I only annoy beeant. Sorry, boss, and thank you all!
- spanz May 6, 2010 at 12:52amHmmm... If the Note is short, Random Question will be absurd due to the repeated questions. If the Note is long, the two systems are going to be good.
If you want to implement only one system, go for Sequential with final grade.
Just one idea taken from d4veg's post: Don't make it trully sequential. Shuffle the questions previously, and then go through the list "sequentially" to avoid repetitions. You can adopt the same system for Chapter Test, also.
- beeant May 5, 2010 at 7:51pmI have not really optimize the new server yet, because I have some other project, and school :( So I have been really busy.
Is the new server become slower for you StonerPenguin? (as the new server is in Japan, the old server is in the US)
I will check out on the error message and fix it, I dont know if the error was caused by my irresponsibility of restarting the server anytime I want. I'm sorry for this problem >.<
No spanz, you helped a lot!
Anyway, for the Note quiz feature, I am still thinking if it should be Random Question, or Sequential Question that has percentage grade at the end like chapter tests? or both?
- beeant May 6, 2010 at 1:47amYa, that would be good to make randomized sequential question set. but I'm still thinking and look for an efficient way to get the data from MySQL randomly without repetition.
Do you have any suggestions? or any links about this?
- spanz May 6, 2010 at 4:20amI don't know MySQL specifics, but I would prepare a vector of int numbers (in PHP, I guess, I doubt it can be done in MySQL). The size should be equal to the count of records. Let's say 1 to 200. I would populate it at random (there are infinite ways to do this) with numbers from 1 to 200, and then I would follow that vector sequentially and extracting the correspondent questions.
It may be necessary to add an ordered numeric field to each record to make such a query work.
Or maybe you can use whatever key field you have yet in your table (any key field that doesn't allow repetitions should be ok), and use it to populate the vector (it doesn't have to be an array of int) in a random way. Finally, you go through the vector and make the queries in that order.
That's just an idea...
- beeant May 7, 2010 at 3:40pmSorry for my late reply spanz,
I just finished an exam of one of my favourite subjects today.
thanks for your info, I took a look, and tried that code before, but I failed for few trials, and I didnt try it further.
I think JCJP way of draw the question is different. Its not just a total random from the whole vocabulary database. it also has some parameters to filter the question such as level, chapter, etc. so 'maybe' that query command is not exactly the one needed.
I thought of so many ways, but lots of them have some holes to cheat. its gonna be so much easier if there is no cheaters :(
right now, before making the quiz feature in Notes, Im thinking of putting the whole practice, test, and quizes related codes into a library. but this way, it will take some time....
So many things to do! but I am excited about it haha, one of the biggest difficulties is to keep things organize.
- spanz May 8, 2010 at 3:55amTake your time.
We don't expect instant solutions nor fast replies. Your exams go first.
And if you're excited about your work, all is going well for sure!
- spanz May 11, 2010 at 5:42amハハハ！私の人相書きは私が今まで読んだ一番不正確です。
- StonerPenguin May 10, 2010 at 7:47amCongrats on the second (and quite large!) donation! Thank you Stray_Mongrel :)
By the way, thank you beeant for all your work, I'm glad to hear you're excited and that this work isn't too much of a chore ;p I don't know how you do it all, you're super-cool ;)
I see wat you did thar on your comment box, insulting me with your compliments! hahaha Since I can't reply there, I'll say it here! You're smart, pretty, talented and funny eleventy-kajillion! ボハハハ！ スパンズさんのほうが私より美しくてこっけいで頭がいい～。
- StonerPenguin May 12, 2010 at 3:00amWorks great! Thank you, always makin' great stuff :D
- beeant May 12, 2010 at 3:16amThank you for your positive feedback! makes me glad and happy =)
it was your suggestion, so please enjoy =)
- spanz May 12, 2010 at 3:58amBrilliant!
Good idea and good work! The positive feedback is compulsory.
Nothing to complain about. Even the PHP errors are gone!
Just a suggestion: As the "practicing" Note is saved without any possible edition, please, consider making a future (low priority!) edition function (available only for the Note's owner) to do corrections and add info. It would be great for handmade Notes and also for Notes taken while practicing.
And don't forget the general comment field (one for each Note, just like the title).
- spanz May 12, 2010 at 4:09amMaybe you can make an automatic (and dynamic) note containing all the entries from all user's vocabulary weak lists.
Think of it as a popular difficult vocabulary list.
Just a silly idea...
- beeant May 12, 2010 at 4:07amHello spanz,
actually there was a bug, I m surprised that I realized it earlier than you haha
the bug was related to language, like you can add Spanish vocabulary when you are in English page. but it has been fixed.
I dont understand your point on low priority, edition function, etc...
General comment field from other user or just a plain description about the Note?
- StonerPenguin May 12, 2010 at 5:22am＠Spanz
スパンズは私に同感じゃないの？ スパンズさんの美しさと偉さがまだ知らないんだよ～ 謙虚すぎるからね～ ☆
- spanz May 12, 2010 at 4:21amWow! you're fast! Sorry! I didn't see your answer.
I mean an edition page (like the private language vocabulary pages you had some time ago) to make corrections to the Title, Description and of course real entries.
Right now, in order to correct something you must delete and enter again.
To correct a title, you have to remove the whole note. A pain in the ass!
Of course, all of this should have low priority in your to-do list!
No, only a plain description about the Note. If an user wants to comment anything about the note, he/she can always use the bulletin or the user's comment box.
- StonerPenguin May 12, 2010 at 5:31amLol, I didn't see all the comments, I had left this page up since this morning so I didn't see the new responses till I posted mine :P The post above was in response to 「ハハハ！私の人相書きは私が今まで読んだ一番不正確です。」 My post seems terribly off subject and silly now :p Carry on with the great work!
- spanz May 15, 2010 at 2:48amNice private option! You can work on a Note privately and show it to the public when it's finished. Good!
- spanz May 15, 2010 at 2:42amThe Note edit works. Thank you very much!
Just a strange cosmetic bug: Once you push the Edit button, it shrinks (almost disappears).
- spanz May 15, 2010 at 4:05amIt happens when you push the "edit" button, accept the changes, and then click again in the (edit) link. Now the button has no text anymore, and due to this, the whole button shrinks. Tested with FireFox (the button becomes a line) & Chrome (the button becomes smaller).
- beeant May 15, 2010 at 3:21amWhat shrinks?
mine seems to work just fine...
- beeant May 15, 2010 at 5:23amya I noticed it.
it has been fixed, please try again.
- spanz May 15, 2010 at 6:12amThanks, it's fixed now. Take some rest!
- spanz May 15, 2010 at 8:37am@Ryumatori: you're right.
I don't really know what's the problem but maybe this can help you:
(If I remember well, beeant knows already this problem but I think the crashes are new)
If you write something in the box and then click anywhere outside the box, your typed answer is sent. The "enter" key to submit the answer works properly only in Firefox (I think). IExplore, Chrome, Safari and Opera fail to send the text when you push the "enter" key. Instead of it, with these browsers, the text is sent only when the box loses the focus. The easy way is clicking outside, or you can also press the tab key. Don't ask me why, but the "enter" key only works under Firefox (if I'm not mistaken). This is the known part of the problem.
I've just made some tests, and if you click outside the box but over an option, the typed text is sent anyway, regardless the option chosen, UNLESS you click on the right one. Then you got a high probability of a PHP crash (with ALL browsers, including FF). Sometimes it works, but it usually crashes. This is new for me. Maybe beeant is already aware of it.
About your last problem, I don't understand you, but it seems also related to the box problems.
For the time being, if you want to practice your hiragana typing in the box, I suggest you to use Firefox and to press enter to send the answer. Don't mix the keyboard and the mouse, and you probably won't have problems.
Anyway, we must wait for beeant. Only he knows what's happening. Maybe there's an easy solution.
Good luck, and sorry for the long post!
- Ryumatori May 15, 2010 at 7:00amUmm I think I found a bug. If you go to practice, type the answer (for me I did it in Hirigana) and submit, along with the chosen multiple choice question, it crashes...assuming you get the answer right. I basically did both and when clicked on submit I got errors.
Also, I typed the right answer into the box but it said to still right an appropriate respone...but it was right!!! XD
- spanz May 15, 2010 at 9:57pmEDIT: (after some more tests!)
Firefox responds to the "enter" key and if you press tab or click elsewhere, the text typed is sent (the option clicked doesn't matter).
Chrome respond also properly to the "enter" key and works the same as Firefox.
IExplore doesn't respond to the "enter", nor the "tab", nor clicking elsewhere apart of the four options. You can click in whatever option you can. The answer is going to be what you typed.
Opera doesn't respond to the "enter" key, but you can use "tab" or click anywhere outside the box. The answer is going to be what you typed.
Safari doesn't respond to the "enter" key, nor the "tab", nor clicking elsewhere apart of the four options (the option clicked DOES matter). You MUST click in the RIGHT option. The answer is going to be what you CLICKED (not what you typed). This is the weirdest of all browsers.
Yesterday, I saw lots of PHP errors when typing the answer and clicking on the right option. Today, I've seen them only a few times. Anyway, the crashes only appear when you click on the right option, never when you click another one.
I think the easiest solution for this strange behavior is going to be removing the hiragana-convert function. You can always type directly in hiragana or kanji using the IME or whatever it's called in your O.S.
- StonerPenguin May 27, 2010 at 1:43amGreat new update beeantさん! lol the user ranked 2nd hasn't even finished level 2 yet! :O Hopefully users will try to get to higher levels, rather than just higher points now :P
- spanz May 28, 2010 at 5:04amGood idea. Maybe displaying the mini progress bars makes it too big, but it's ok. There's a lot of room...
I think the main problem of the Level Tests has a name: Kanji.
I'm sure some users are not really interested in the Tests because they give just a few EXP points, and they're not really necessary to go up levels.
If you do only Practice, (unless you want to stick with lower levels), eventually you'll reach the top level, and you'll have to answer top level (i.e. difficult) questions. Of course, if you're able to earn many points doing Practice, then there's not a reason why you can't pass the corresponding Test easily. If an user has many points without completing the Tests, it's only due to lazyness or lack of interest.
This situation is easy to solve, and the new rank info is an added motivation to complete the Tests.
Well, I think that's true for Vocabulary, but not so much with Kanji.
As Kanji seems to be much harder than Vocabulary (for many of us), there are many users that simply stick with Vocabulary, and rarely take Kanji Practice, let alone Kanji Tests.
In this case, such an user is never gonna finish his/her Progress Bar, even with the new motivation. I hope I'm wrong...
- StonerPenguin June 1, 2010 at 3:57amDitto spanz, these updates are great! Thanks beeant! Nice email you sent today :D
Although I hate to be a bother I do have a suggestion... On the note feature, many users are making sorta meaningless notes that have no vocabulary added to them. While I don't necessarily think they should be deleted, they're kind of an eyesore. Is there any way to display the note list in order of which note has the most vocabulary rather than newest first? That way notes with little or no vocab would be at the bottom :) Buuut, if this can't be easily done, don't worry about it. Just a suggestion ;)
Keep up the good work beeantさん!
- spanz June 1, 2010 at 2:40amYo!
Nice new features, but why the "save changes" green button in "edit profile" is in Japanese? And why is it not rounded?
BTW, the main buttons "Sign Up", "New to Japanese", etc aren't rounded either. They look too different, IMHO.
Another bug a little hard to explain. Take a look only when you have time.
It's a small bug in an old feature. When you use the search function in the group's page to look for a Japanese string, you get the list of sentences.
When you mouse over a result sentence, you get a Katakana black box with the readings, but you get also this: < span class =' highlight _ search _ keyword '> in the middle of the Katakana string.
When you look for a non-Japanese string, the odd text doesn't appear.
- beeant June 2, 2010 at 2:39amThere are many messages to read, please wait for my replies.
I am sorry, I have to put some thoughts to reply. It may took quite a while.
I will try to reply ASAP.
- StonerPenguin June 2, 2010 at 8:43amIt's alright Mr. Beeant~ I know you're a busy busy bee~ :D
BTW, I'm 98% sure I didn't do anything on JCJP today and I somehow got 127 points! Haha :P
- StonerPenguin June 3, 2010 at 4:01amHmm well, I'm pretty sure I haven't earned any points at all on JCJP in days, but I *might* have done some practice... But I really don't think so. :P I wouldn't worry about it. If it happens again I'll tell ya :D
- beeant June 2, 2010 at 8:33pmwow, thats a big problem. but are you really sure?
how about the 2%?
The timezone in JCJP has changed, now JCJP is following JST timezone. Do you know about this?
It was following Chicago time before.
- spanz June 5, 2010 at 8:47amMore than 10000 users! Congrats to you too, beeant!
- spanz June 5, 2010 at 8:39am@StonerPenguin:
I think there's no bug. I didn't know you had surpassed me in the Challenge Rank, so you've probably crushed someone in a Challenge, hence the points.
- beeant June 5, 2010 at 11:03amThank you spanz, I have more responsibility to keep the site grow now. I have to keep up with new updates soon.
Anyway, I got your email, I think its good, I will reply the details ASAP.
- StonerPenguin June 5, 2010 at 12:27pmおめでとう！Muy bien! @Spanz; I get points when I win a challenge? Cool! haha I'm dumb :p sorry for the false alarm beeant. BTW, a lot of the notes with little vocab got deleted, did you do that? Just curious.
Also, details and updates! How exciting~!
- beeant June 5, 2010 at 3:13pmOh ya, I want to ask:
Do you guys notice any speed increase?
- beeant June 5, 2010 at 3:07pmThanks StonerPenguin.
I didn't delete them, I just made them private. So only the owner can see the Notes. =D
I need more time for updates, right now I am working on so many things ><
University, 3 websites, and some ideas for new projects... I need to organize my mind and put more focus on fewer things haha...
- spanz June 5, 2010 at 7:49pmI don't feel any noticeable speed change, but things are kinda slow for me, so it's hard to tell. For example, the Rank page has a total loading time of about 40 seconds (sometimes more!). For every connection, I get a huge waiting time. For example, the very first connection (for something called "Ranking") has a variable waiting time between 8 and 12 seconds, and then the content is loaded in 2.33 seconds (this time is pretty consistent) to make a total of about 12 seconds. The other connections show also big waiting times (although smaller) to make a whole time of ~40 seconds (15 secs loading, 25 secs waiting).
That means a subjective general delay compared with the old server, mainly due to the initial waiting times.
On the other hand, Tests and Practice respond pretty fast for me (3~5 secs in total, but the next question shows much faster), clearly better than the former US server, and that's what matters, so I'm not concerned about speed.
Probably most pages have too many images. For example, the main page weighs 2.7 MB. Too much, IMHO, but looks are important, so don't worry too much.
I'm sure the loser gets points (positive or negative), too. Every question counts, even in challenges.
- beeant June 6, 2010 at 2:01amspanz: yes, it is a problem... even for me it takes so long to load the Rank page, I think I know the bottleneck is the Challenge ranking section, because the data has grown in there. I didnt use an efficient algorithm to sort them, because there were only few users in challenge ranking.
I will fix them when I found a better way to do it.
The most important thing is to load the practice page, its good that you find it faster.
About the image, yes indeed, I will convert all the photos, ASAP. I will find the best way to reduce the size of the images without reducing its quality. But I have to write another extra codes to convert the existing images, so it may take some time.
- spanz June 6, 2010 at 2:14amWow! Note Quiz! And it looks and works great!
For a future update:
Why do you make only the "vocabulary" kind of quiz? The other types (reverse, Kanji) should be available too.
Anyway, good work! It looks awesome!
Thank you very much!
I think I'm gonna upload the whole Core2000 series in a big, big Note. Is there any problem with that?
- StonerPenguin June 6, 2010 at 5:34amWaaah~!! This is so great beeantさま!! I didn't want to bother you but I really wanted this feature, thank you so so much! And it looks great, very stylish :) I'm gonna start practicing, you've made me so happy!
You've done a good deed, so now take a well deserved break C: Thanks again
The whole core 2000 list? Wow! Although maybe you should upload all the individual parts first and then make a big list. I say that because it's easier to learn unfamiliar words in smaller chunks, y'know? But it's your thing, do what you wanna do, I can't tell ya, who to sock it to, alright, na-na-na! Alright, na-na-na~ ♬ !(I couldn't resist! So cheesy, I know... ;p )
- spanz June 6, 2010 at 2:38amA possible bug: If you click outside the Note Quiz box, the box disappear. I don't know if it is properly closed or if it simply crashes.
- spanz June 7, 2010 at 2:20amGood idea. Take a break. About the Core name, you're right. I'm going to change the names (too late, but...)
- beeant June 6, 2010 at 10:47pmHello,
It is good that you like it! makes me happy =D
Actually that is just the same like in the video quiz, I'm using the same code for that. currently it only supports random without any settings.
I wouldn't recommend copying those Core2000 series, but you can do it if you want, maybe use a different title for them?
Ya I should take a break, I got a bad headache now... ahh... =(
- beeant June 7, 2010 at 2:28pmwhat is too late, but?
- spanz June 8, 2010 at 12:18amWhen I saw your recommendation, I had already posted the series with their original names, so it was too late to post them with inconspicuous names.
If you're worried about copyright issues you can delete them. It's not a big deal.
- spanz June 15, 2010 at 12:52amAh!, the new tabs look really good.
Just one "problem": In the new layout, the Login button is too small.
The Facebook Connect button is so big compared to the Login one, that you can click on "Connect" mistakenly.
- spanz June 15, 2010 at 12:44amA little, little bug:
I was thinking of changing my thumbnail/avatar/whatever. I uploaded a new image and I didn't like the thumbnail (it was too small, and didn't look good).
I decided not to save it but there's no Cancel button, so I simply clicked on the Close button on the upper right corner.
The thumbnail is not saved. Good.
The previous thumbnail is gone. Bad. I have no thumbnail now.
The previous profile image is gone. Bad. If you don't want the thumbnail, you don't want the image, but the original one is gone.
As I don't want the new image, I uploaded a 1 pixel blank image just to "delete" the unwanted one. Of course, I didn't save the thumbnail...
It's not a big problem, but that box needs a Cancel button.
Meanwhile, I'll search for a new image. :P
- beeant June 15, 2010 at 9:51pmHello,
I am sorry for the late reply,
I have reseted your display picture, I will fix the bug ASAP.
I have been busy with my school, I am having my mid-term exams... =(
lots of things are due..
Ya I will fix that also, the login button and connect button.
- StonerPenguin June 20, 2010 at 9:36amOchen khorosho!! (オチェン・ハラショー~!) The slides look great~ :D
- spanz June 23, 2010 at 4:03amAbout the sound:
It doesn't work under latest Chrome & Safari.
Too slow under the other common browsers (FF,Opera,IE).
Most of contents are static, so you might pre-record the sounds to local files.
The voice is a little robotic. I think the one from http://text-to-speech.imtranslator.net/ is a little better.
Playing only one of the Kanji's readings is not very logical. Instead of that, you should play the compound forms/examples/sentences. That way you'll hear complete words and possibly several different readings.
- Ryumatori June 23, 2010 at 7:44amWow this is awesome Beeant! This feature will be much more helpful since I can quiz myself to see if I know the word in the slideshow. Thanks for all your hardwork :)
- beeant June 23, 2010 at 5:57amyes, the voice system is not perfect yet...
I am also feeling uncomfortable with the delay, and Chrome / Safari incompatibility.
but at least it works on Firfox!
I cant pre-record it, because the API server give me a flash object, I dont know how to convert it to mp3.
the link you gave me does not provide API, or any PHP library...
How can I use that...?
- spanz June 24, 2010 at 4:15amYou can always pre-record anything you want. In this case, with good quality.
Check your mail for more.
- spanz June 24, 2010 at 5:10amYes, thanks. I have to think...
- beeant June 24, 2010 at 4:42amdid you get my reply?
- beeant July 7, 2010 at 4:06pmHello spanz,
Thank you for your report (as always)
I have fixed that problem.
- spanz July 7, 2010 at 2:39amSomething is broken now when you create a Note, although you can add contents anyway.
I guess the problem is related to the Slideshow, and it only happens because the Note is empty. When you open a filled Note, the problem doesn't appear.
Btw, great idea, Slideshow in Notes!
- StonerPenguin July 12, 2010 at 4:18amAwesome Beeant, you update so fast :D And thanks for the speedy addition of note descriptions! ;) We'll put 'em to good use. How's school? Is it summer vacation yet? C:
- StonerPenguin July 13, 2010 at 1:30amAww, I'm sorry to hear that :/ I sympathize with that though, Japanese isn't part of current curriculum and I find it so much more interesting that I'll neglect my other studies (fortunately for me, it's summer vacation here in the US...) But you gotta do what you gotta do! :) Best of luck in all your work ;D BTW I know you've recently gotten some complaints, but I'm completely happy with the current JCJP :) I'm really using the note feature here lately, thank you so much for making it for me (and the others XD) Love ya!
- beeant July 13, 2010 at 12:56amno not yet >< actually its my examination week.. =(
This kind of thing happens to me, like I was supposed to study, but I end up browsing through JCJP read some comments (from spanz) and did some coding and updates. But I really have to do what I really have to do for now... After that I can work on long hours to fix and update JCJP.
- spanz July 15, 2010 at 12:03amI like the new individual statistics. Good idea.
A question: In practice, sometimes you can see the stats info (even if the info is empty: 0% (0 correct | 0 wrong) status: please learn), sometimes not. Why?
- beeant July 15, 2010 at 12:25amHello,
I think a good way to explain it is:
it means, that the vocabulary/kanji is a virgin, you have never touched that.
it has not added in your own vocabulary stats database.
since it uses the same database system as weak list, it appeared as 0 - 0 because you have the record of the vocabulary/kanji in the previous version of weak list feature.
- spanz July 15, 2010 at 12:42amThat makes sense. Thanks!
- StonerPenguin July 15, 2010 at 11:34amI came across a weird error;
I just uploaded a vocab to my list
Face; [removed]of a person)-- かお -- 顔
but when I add it to my list, it turns out like;
Face; [removed]of a person)-- かお -- 顔
I've added it several times, but it comes out the same way each time :/ Any idea why?
Edit; I just typed in "[removed]" and it turns into "[removed]"
I even put two spaces between 'expression' and "(" but it's still changing it. I just put it as "Expression; face (of a person) -- かお -- 顔"
- StonerPenguin July 15, 2010 at 10:54amPerhaps I should wait to suggest this until after your exam month has finished but... Vocab, kanji and reverse vocab for notes would be pretty cool. Also, for kanji practice; Why not show the meaning too? I mean, for vocab we get the kanji and the reading, so why not have kanji and meaning when practicing kanji readings?
For example, right now in practice I'm doing 診断 I don't know either the reading nor the meaning. There some kanji test words that I now know the reading but I don't know what it means! XD This seems more efficient for studying I think :) And I'm also suggesting this because there are kanji that are read differently when the implied meaning is different. Like 角 is pronounced かく when meaning 'angle', かど when meaning 'corner/edge', and つの when it means 'horns'.
But that might be a major pain in the butt to go back and add definitions for all the kanji lessons. So you don't really need to do it, but if you make a kanji quiz mode for notes, please consider adding meanings :)
Thank you :) Your studies are the most important though!
- beeant July 15, 2010 at 8:50pmWhat kind of error did you have? can you copy and paste the error message if any?
- StonerPenguin July 15, 2010 at 11:36amAh! Look! It messed up here too! What a weird error ;p
- StonerPenguin July 16, 2010 at 1:41amThere is no error message :/ you can try it yourself; type 'expression' then '(' and it turns into "[removed]". The weird thing is "expresion (" (expression misspelled; missing an 's') works just fine... it seems to only 'expression' that messes up. You really don't have to fix this error since it'll probably be rare for people to put in an entry using expression and parenthesis O:. Just thought I'd tell ya.
- spanz July 18, 2010 at 4:00am"It'll probably be rare for people to put in an entry using expression and parenthesis"... Bingo!
The JLPT-2 Nouns Note has exactly that. XD
- beeant July 20, 2010 at 1:07amI think I know the problem, for ' ' ' ' '
Can you tell me where exactly you encounter that problem?
- beeant July 23, 2010 at 3:18amI thought the problem that StonerPenguin reported was related to ''''?
Thank you for the positive feedback. But so far, only few people are using that feature though... ><
- spanz July 20, 2010 at 4:44pm' ' ' ' 'って、何？
The new Note Vocab Stats are great!
- beeant July 23, 2010 at 3:19amOh ya spanz...
Do you notice any speed improvement in Ranking page loading?
I guess it happens everywere. We've noticed it while adding a word to a Note, and also here.
A test. I'm going to type here the word expression and then an opening parenthesis:
About the speed, the answer is no. It feels as slow as always. 10+ seconds of waiting, then the page begins to appear, and after 40 seconds (total time), the page is complete.
- beeant August 2, 2010 at 12:58pmHello spanz,
I am sorry for my late reply,
I finished all my exams, essays, etc.
But I am feeling broken-heart right now =(.
I got a girl friend and she left me...
Anyway, Yes, right now I am test driving the current EXP requirements, but I think it is fine and reasonable until level 2. I am still testing until level 5.
I have fixed the J-E sorting. you can try finding 本, thank you.
is it different? I dont know I just downloaded the file and convert it to mySQL...
Do you have any links to the file of edict that you meant?
- spanz July 30, 2010 at 2:49amtesting(testing)parenthesis?
What are you trying to test? :O
I don't like the lower requirements very much. It's not a big deal, though.
As many people don't like to write and explain their opinions, I think this a good case for a public poll. Only to help you to make decisions. Your opinion always should take precedence.
Suggestion: Make a poll system.
Impressive dictionaries! Good work!
A problem for now:
The J-E dictionary tends to show too many results, ordered "alphabetically" (Kana order, I guess, followed by radical order, maybe).
When you search for simple things, like 本, you get a truncated long list that doesn't reach the 本 entry. All you get are compounds. Surely, the list would include 本 if it were long enough, but you truncate it, so you can't reach 本.
Anyway, if there's a total match, the first result should be the one you were looking for. Having to browse several pages to find 本 is not good.
Also, it would be useful to know the list's order.
Using the J-E dictionary, often, the part of speech is not included. All EDICT entries include POS, so I guess something is wrong, or maybe it's not EDICT. Also, all EDICT POS fields are in abbreviated form, but not here.
Besides, the meanings are not exactly the same.
Is the J-E dictionary really based in EDICT? It seems different.
- spanz August 3, 2010 at 5:55amI'm sorry to hear that your gf is gone.
And I am here, causing you more problems... Sorry!
Cheer up! At least your exams are over!
Thanks for fixing the J-E dictionary sorting.
The new buttons fit the page much better than the squared big ones you had before.
No problem with the new EXP requirements.
About the EDICT differences I saw, well, test it yourself. For example, search for 日付.
Now, check it against EDICT. The simplest way is using Rikaichan over the text (it uses EDICT internally), or download EDICT/EDICT2/JMdict from the original source (Monash University).
Take care about the encoding. Some files can be in EUC, others in UTF8. The JMdict file is much more complex but you can still find the text easily.
(n,adj-no) date; dating; (P)
Obviously, the translation can't be too different, but, as you see, there's always a POS field (n,adj-no) that is not always present in your version.
When your version has POS (for example, look for 犬子), the EDICT abbreviations are not used, but complete words, so I thought you weren't using EDICT.
- puppy noun (common) (futsuumeishi), archaism,
Looking inside the JMdict file, I've found the explanation:
<!ENTITY n "noun (common) (futsuumeishi)">
This explains why using JMdict, you can display "noun (common) (futsuumeishi)" instead of "n".
It's clear now you're using JMdict_e (the English-only version of JMdict).
Looking carefully the JMdict file, I think you are not parsing it correctly.
All entries have ALWAYS one (or more) POS field(s) BEFORE the list of meanings, and sometimes, one or more of the meanings has also a POS tag BEFORE it.
It seems you don't use all the POS tags. Example:
- furnished with
- attached to
- luck noun (common) (futsuumeishi), word usually written using kana alone,
- assistant (e.g. to a manager)
- soup base
This is the JMdict_e section for 付き:
<pos>&n;</pos> YOU ARE IGNORING THIS TAG
<pos>&n-suf;</pos> YOU ARE IGNORING THIS TAG
<pos>&n;</pos> YOU ARE USING THIS TAG
<misc>&uk;</misc> YOU ARE USING THIS TAG
<pos>&n;</pos> YOU ARE IGNORING THIS TAG
<pos>&n-suf;</pos> YOU ARE IGNORING THIS TAG
<gloss>assistant (e.g. to a manager)</gloss>
The last POS has a cross-reference tag that can be distracting, but the first one should be simple.
I guess you're not parsing the JMdict file correctly.
This is the definition of the POS tag:
<!ELEMENT pos (#PCDATA)>
<!-- Part-of-speech information about the entry/sense. Should use
appropriate entity codes. In general where there are multiple senses
in an entry, the part-of-speech of an earlier sense will apply to
later senses unless there is a new part-of-speech indicated.
I think the POS should be displayed in its own line, and below it all the meanings until a new POS appear.
And that's all for now.
P.S. I'm not sure if you have understood the 'Expression' + '(' problem or not. [removed] <-This is another test.
Sorry again for this looooooooong post. Next time, I'll use e-mail. You can give me the "most bothering user of the month" award :D
- spanz August 3, 2010 at 6:00amAs you can see (or better, you can't see), all the opening and closing tags in the JMdict section for 付き have vanished. One more reason to use e-mail next time. :(
- spanz August 4, 2010 at 3:09amWell, seeing the JMdict extended POS codes, I thought you were using JMdict. Sorry for the confusion (I guess you took the extended codes from the EDICT documentation).
I'm so accustomed to Rikaichan that I thought its results had the same structure as the corresponding EDICT lines.
It seems Rikaichan simplifies the EDICT entries. For example, it doesn't show individual POS nor separated different meanings. All is merged in a single line.
The true structure of EDICT is a little more complex than the Rikaichan version, and it's a lot simpler than JMdict's one, but I think my point is still valid for EDICT.
There's no need to make the format complicated.
I've e-mailed you with a clearer (I hope) version of the problem.
Don't you dare to give me funny names. That's Gituska's job. XD
- beeant August 3, 2010 at 1:17pmHello,
Actually I am using edict, it is just that I parsed the output.
I want it to appear simple. As simple as possible. However, I think there is also a need to be complicated?
I replaced the explanation abbreviation (POS TAG) like (n,adj-no), with more understandable general explanation.
I can still read your message in the database. it just cannot read HTML tag. I will try to fix it, because right now, I want to use HTML code to output videos in here.
PS: oh ya! you just gave me idea, user of the month (Talkative User?)
currently JCJP only has Diligent user of the month.
- spanz August 8, 2010 at 6:20amA possible bug in the Notes.
I'm playing with a private test note and it seems I can't change the title.
The edit function changes it apparently, but when you go back to the Note's list, the old name is still there.
- beeant August 9, 2010 at 2:48pmHello spanz,
I got your email,
I will fix the parsing ASAP, and reply to you.
I have tried the Note bug you reported,
It seems fine for me, the Note title changed after I edit it.
Have you tried again?
- spanz August 10, 2010 at 1:17amOssu!
I have just tried it, and the bug persists.
Maybe my Note is corrupted in some way. It's the Note #176.
I don't remember writing any semicolon (;) in the title, but there it is.
I tried several different titles because the field size is too short, but I never wrote ";". I don't know where it came from.
If I delete the ";", I can see the new title, but it's not a true change. A Quiz shows the true name with the ";", and returning to the list you'll see it again as well. Right now you can't try a Quiz (there's only 1 entry now), but believe me, it shows the true name, despite what the editing notes page shows.
I'll try to make a new one (to see if the old note is corrupted). If all is rigth, I'll tell you asap.
- spanz August 10, 2010 at 1:36amAs you can see, the semicolon appears also here. I didn't wrote it in the previous post.
If you find it difficult to fix, don't worry. It's not a big deal.
Thanks anyway! I hope the dictionary will be easy to fix.
- spanz August 10, 2010 at 1:28amProblem found!
I made a new note with the title "Transitive&Intransitive; pairs". It instantly became "Transitive&Intransitive; pairs". The semicolon appears automatically.
If I write a "-" instead of "&", the problem disappears.
Conclusion: The culprit is the &.
Add this to the strange problem's list, below the <strong><em>expression + (</em></strong> error. :D
- spanz August 12, 2010 at 1:51amI'll try to explain it again, but I'm afraid it won't be short.
Sorry, I just want you to understand it.
1-You write something in a box. Any box will do (here, in the notes, everywhere).
2-You post the message/note/whatever.
3-The text you wrote is changed by the system.
It happens only when you type certain kind of characters.
Until now, we have three kind of dangerous strings but there will be many more:
<strong>1</strong>-The word "expression" (without quotes) immediately followed by an opening parenthesis. I can't write it here because the system is going to change it. The whole problematic string is 11 characters long. When you post that, the string becomes "[removed]" (without quotes).
<strong>2</strong>-If you try to write anything inside the pair "<" and ">" (look my above post about JMdict, all the XML tags are missing), the system interpret them wrongly as unknown HTML tags and delete them.
<strong>3</strong>-The character "&". If you follow & with certain selected words, the system thinks you're using HTML character entity codes. In my case, "Transitive&Intransitive;" contains the beggining of the HTML code for the integral sign followed by "ransitive". When this happens, the system doesn't print the integral sign (the match is not complete), but appends a semicolon (;) after the extra characters. If you try to delete the semicolon, you can't. When you post the changes, the semicolon appears again.
All the problems seem to be the same: The system misinterprets some strings.
It's not a big problem, but can be annoying.
- beeant August 11, 2010 at 9:20pmHello spanz,
I am still looking for the problem you mentioned. I'm sorry but I dont really understand... should... what is the real problem. Can you please explain it to me again in a short simple explanation. also this seems to be the same problem that StonerPenguin has. please what is the exact problem.
I am sorry, this problem has been ignored by me for a quite long time...
About the dictionary, I will read your email.
- beeant August 14, 2010 at 1:20amYes, this is kind of difficult, I can simply use htmlentities function in PHP to avoid this problem, but I also want the user to be able to use HTML tags to post images etc...
Or maybe BBcode would be better?
- spanz August 14, 2010 at 5:22amThat's beyond my knowledge, sorry.
Imho, being able to use HTML tags sounds good. Are you planning to add this feature or is it already available?
- franstoo August 31, 2010 at 11:48pmAny news on having level 6 or above?
- beeant September 1, 2010 at 2:24amHello franstoo,
I am sorry for taking a long time for level 6 updates.
I will work on it and I will try to finish them ASAP.
Please look forward to it, and thanks for asking.
- Stray_Mongrel September 4, 2010 at 5:44amI was checking out the "slideshow" feature, and I have some ideas.
1) Put in a toggle button, to turn the romaji examples on and off. I am trying to discard my reliance on romaji completely, and having it there on the slides makes things too easy on me.
2) Have also a toggle button to turn off the hiragana example too, so that the only clue is the kanji. This would help me alot with kanji recognition.
3) Have a setting to toggle the slides between "in order" or "random order". I am beginning to guess the answer to the next question based on repetition of the word order, and not recognition of the actual word. This setting would be great for both slides and actual tests.
4) Have a setting on the test questions, to hide the answers initially, and have to click a button to "unveil" the 4 choices, so that we can try to answer them (in our heads) with zero choice clues. I find that if I know the answer to 3 of the 4 choices, I can pick the right answer, but that does me no good when I see "bathtub", and can't remember "よくそ" off the top of my head.
I really love this slideshow thing, the only thing it is missing is a text insertion point to type in my answer for test credit. 笑
Great Job with the site, I love the improvements.
- Stray_Mongrel September 5, 2010 at 4:55amOk, I have more to add... 笑
I have tried using the slideshow to study the 漢字 side of Chapter 2. I actually learn the Kanji faster and easier using the Vocabulary slideshow, for a number of reasons.
1) The Kanji is large, and it's easy to note all the details in the Kanji, something that very difficult to do when taking the tests, because the answer font size is too small. This is fine on both Vocab and Kanji slides.
2) The Vocabulary slides hide most of the relative information. The Kanji slides blatantly show the relative terms right in the box, giving it away.
The slides on the Kanji should be more straightforward. Instead of showing the list of relative terms next to a Kanji, each of those terms should be it's own separate slide page, with the ability to toggle a "show/hide" the relative terms window that exists in the slide page for most Kanji.
So, for example, the slide for 都:
1) Initially hide it's definition. Let us try to remember what it means, and let us click to see if we remembered it correctly.
2) Initially hide the relative terms on the side, let us click a button to reveal those for reference.
3) Have a button to reveal the Name of the kanji.
4) Keep the button to click the pronunciation of the kanji.
Then, instead of the next slide page being 県 make a full slide for 東京都, and have everything toggled the same as listed above, including the relative terms associated with it. Then make the 3rd slide 京都, #4 都内, etc.
I know this is probably alot of scripting work I am suggesting, and I don't want you to feel obligated to do any of this, it's just something to think about.
- Stray_Mongrel September 4, 2010 at 6:44amI also want to add another idea.
Using the slideshow in a "Test Mode", and being able to toggle everything off, except the sound, and answer the question based on hearing alone. I have been trying various things, like taping paper over my screen and going through the slides, and it's very helpful. The only problem is I know the word order, and I know the next answer before I even click next. All the tests desperately need a randomization script.
You could add points to correct answers based on how many features were toggled off, like +1 for no romaji, +1 for no hiragana, and +1 for no sound. The cumulative bonus would be +3 for answering using kanji recognition alone. Or you could give +3 for sound recognition alone, with romaji, hiragana and kanji off.
Also, having a Next and Back button on slides, so we can travel forward and backwards through the slides would be helpful for study. Of course a Back button on "test mode" would be useless.
- beeant September 6, 2010 at 7:53amHello Stray_Mongrel,
I am sorry, I was busy with entering level 6 vocabularies into the database.
I will get back to you ASAP.
Please excuse me.
- franstoo September 6, 2010 at 2:46pmnever mind, got it fixed now,looking forward to the kanji level 6!
- franstoo September 6, 2010 at 2:38pmHello, thanks for putting up level 6! But when i try to do the test, it says required points 100001 or above, my exp points are way more than that, still cannot take the test, please advise.
- beeant September 6, 2010 at 6:39pmHello franstoo,
It seemed like you were not level 6 when you tried to do level 6 chapter test.
But its all ok now.
Thank You for waiting.
Please also checkout Note feature, you can learn many more vocabularies in there.
Thank You =D
- StonerPenguin September 8, 2010 at 8:57amOh my goodness~! A bunch of great new updates! Thank you so much beeant. I saw you edited the notes and put pages on :) Good idea, the list was getting pretty long O: It looks awesome!! I know that adding the note feature caused you some trouble and time, but I'm very glad I suggested it. Thank you so much for your diligence in working out the bugs ♡ I love the progress and average progress score display too =D I'm gonna check out level 6 now ;p Congrats on all your hard work and updates (Sorry that you're getting a buttload of suggestions now :P I don't think people realize it's just you running this whole site and you have other stuff irl you need to do! XD)
- suaracahaya September 8, 2010 at 9:47amyeah, beeant... you rocks! :D
I am taken by the concept of learning Japanese through games - and it's a "real" EXP and level up and all of them!
- spanz September 11, 2010 at 7:13pmI'm missing a few weeks and the amount of updates is astonishing. I guess Beeant works better when I'm not bothering him...
Just a note: The user franstoo reported a problem to advance to the new level 6, and the problem is still here for me.
If you are a level 5 user and have enough EXP to be at level 6, in order to advance to level 6, you still need to earn EXP points from a lower level. Just a point will do, and then you'll be a level 6 user.
- Stray_Mongrel September 9, 2010 at 9:19amI do realize beeant is doing this alone, when I make my ridiculously long suggestions, but I am throwing ideas out there.~笑~
- spanz September 18, 2010 at 4:15amHello!
It seems you're sending Kanjis to the synthetic voice server.
The voice system choses a possible reading for that Kanji or compound and generates the sound. but that reading is not always correct, that is, it's not the reading we wanted to hear.
Example from Level 6 vocabulary:
左右 - さゆう
You chose さゆう, but the server chose another possibility, そう.
If you want to avoid this inconsistency, you could send the Kana to the server, instead of the Kanji.
That way, we will hear the reading you want.
- Stray_Mongrel September 26, 2010 at 3:30pmI was able to take the time to go back and re-read my long suggestion thing, and I think that it only needs a bit of clarification. I wanted to provide picture examples, but it would be harder to do than it would be to describe.
Using Vocabulary Chapter 1 slideshow as the example, it has the perfect presentation quality for a test. All you need are some answers there, and it really makes a much nicer and impressionable impact than the current test window. Adding a few toggle settings at the beginning, before the test run, and you can let users determine their own test experience, and you can alter the points rewarded per question, based on how much difficulty the user sets into the test at the beginning. Users can pick whether to answer based on a pure Kanji example, or pure Hiragana/Katakana, or have the English example, and choose either Kanji/Kana answers. The same can be setup on the Kanji side of the test spectrum. You can even have a mode, where it shows a large Kanji example, and you have to answer BOTH the Kana pronunciation, AND the English definition on the same question. Or English Word, and answer both Kana and Kanji selections.
Selecting 2 answer selections for one question would require a change to the answer selection process to clicking a checkmark into boxes next to the answer, instead of a dead on click to answer. I would like to see this on normal test questions anyway, sometimes my pen brushes against the tablet, and accidentally answers a question without me actually meaning to.
There could still be a setting to toggle this so users can pick to do it old school style, and single click to rip through answers if they need the speed.
One thing that I feel is very important to add: show what answer was chosen even if the chosen answer was wrong. Many times I pick what I would swear was the right answer, but I get it wrong. Knowing what we picked wrong can have a deep impression, and help greatly to avoid making the same mistake again. Adding a window pane to the right side of the test (to help acclimate people to viewing panes in the "right to left" direction), that contains the green highlighted correct answer and Google translation, like it already does, but show the previous question in full size under it, and show the 4 answer choices, with the one the user chose highlighted, so they can see where they went wrong.
So what it would resemble, is 2 full size slide panes in a single test window, showing the current question on the left side, and the previously answered question on the right side, with the answer choices still visible, and the chosen answer clearly marked.
- spanz September 27, 2010 at 12:13amAgreed with 野犬. The slideshow style window is prettier than the test / practice layout. Not very important to me, though.
That "two answers" optional mode sounds good. That would be like merging the Kanji and Vocabulary questions, but Kanji usually have too many meanings and readings. I think adding a "two answers" mode to Kanji tests / practice is not a good idea, but it can be great for Vocabulary!
About showing the whole previous question to see our failures, I don't know... It probably would take too much space. I think marking the wrong answers in place is more than enough (the system used in Vocabulary practice).
I don't know why Kanji practice doesn't have that feature. :(
The best system to get accustomed to the right to left direction is reading true vertical written texts, or simply, manga. I think the panes position is irrelevant.
Beeant, I'm sure you're already aware of it, but there's a error message in tests:
A PHP Error was encountered
Message: Undefined variable: sentences
Line Number: 89
The error comes from a php file in the practice folder, but it appears only when you take a TEST. It doesn't crash, but shows the error.
- beeant September 27, 2010 at 9:04amspanz: that error message, I was not aware of that!!
Thank you for telling me. It was really dangerous ><
I will reply the rest later. it is still early in the morning here. I have to go to school soon.
- beeant September 27, 2010 at 4:45pmActually these are all Usability subjectivity. Different people have different preferences.
I always want to modify the layout, usability, etc. But I do not really have anyone to discuss.
If you would like, I am having difficulties on creating a good layout for each pages in JCJP.
such as Statistics page, front page, etc..
Maybe you can help me by giving me sketches of your own layout version for each page.
My priority now is that, I want to show useful information on each page, and keep the user learning wherever page they go.
I think that it is difficult to discuss everything through something like bulletin or email.
I am thinking to form a chat group to build JCJP to the next step, to be better, more fun and more effective place to learn JCJP.
I realize that it is difficult to do this all alone, I first started build this project to help myself learning Japanese. Now, I think that this project has grown, and I feel like I want JCJP to provide the best place to learn Japanese. not forgetting the first purpose of having the fun aspect. (such as creating it like a game)
Of course I got so many good feedback from you guys, and so much help. But due to so many feedback, it is difficult to choose which one to work on first. and I also have to consider each feedback, if I have to implement them or not. While considering one's feedback, another feedback come. I also have problem with my schedule.
Do you guys want to join the chat room if I create it? like for example, skype group chat?
You do not have to be always active, as I can't promist that I will always be active too. Just whenever fits your time.
- beeant September 27, 2010 at 5:57pm@Stray_Mongrel,
I want to ask you about the improvement in speed.
As I moved the server to the US server, do you notice any speed improvements? or decline maybe?
If there is no improvement, I think I will move back to the old server.
- spanz September 28, 2010 at 12:15amYou have users from all time zones. That will be very bad for any chat.
You could make a poll system (for example) to ask the users what suggestion they prefer to be implemented first. And then, don't take the answers too seriously. Many of our suggestions can't be done due to technical or other reasons we ignore. Only you know what's easy or near impossible to implement.
I'm afraid bulletin / email is your only option to discuss things. It's slow, but a fast system could make things worse and put you under more pressure (even more feedback).
Don't worry too much. We're not in a hurry, and we all have a real life, too.
Just don't forget us, answer us from time to time, and keep doing your best and having fun!
About the speed, the tests are faster now from Spain. All the response times are improved. I think the actual speed is about the same, but the overall feeling is quite better (less waits). If it can serve simultaneously more users than the old one, I vote for the current server. If you have the same user limitations, then it's not that important from my point of view.
And finally, some little errors in Level 6 vocabulary:
<i>Chapter 52 - atmosphere, mood 雰囲気 ふんいき funiki</i>
The romaji should be fun'iki.
<i>Chapter 53 - individualism 個人主義 こじんしゅぎ kojinshugi</i>
This entry appears two times in this chapter.
- spanz September 28, 2010 at 1:24amお邪魔します!
The new "Oblivion Vocabularies" option shows the Weak Kanji stats in its alternate text, and also in the bottom of the window.
- beeant September 28, 2010 at 3:05pmI have a plan to change to front page to be more personalized to each user. Something like my page.
This is the prototype, its simply somekind like a to do list/ task list the user need to do. also putting more emphasis on showing vocabularies.
Please tell me what do you think about this:
Suggestion, negative comments or anything on this.
- spanz September 28, 2010 at 7:37pmLooks good. Or, more than that, looks useful. More useful than the current front page (the thing I will miss the most is the latest bulletin messages tab), but all that new info belongs logically to the user's page. Having the info distributed is weird, and repeating it in the two pages won't be good, either.
You could add all that new info to the user page and make it the default post-login page, leaving the current front page only as the pre-login front page.
If the users want to see the current global info we have in the current front page (latest photo tags, latest shouts, etc), they always can click onto the JCJP logo.
(I hope this makes sense)
The new info looks very useful.
A question: How do you manage the repeated vocabulary?
For example, you show a word in the new list called "Vocabularies you might forget" and you show a button to send the user to the corresponding vocabulary chapter. The problem is that some words appear in several lessons (e.g. 奨学金, しょうがくきん, shogakukin, scholarship, is a word from vocabulary chapter 10 (level 1), and also a word from the chapter 52 (level 6). Which chapter do you want to send the user to? The easier or the harder one?
- beeant September 28, 2010 at 9:57pmI just tried to implement that, but it causes a big slow down to the page loading time... So I removed it again... ><
- spanz October 1, 2010 at 12:30amSome bugs in the new Personal Vocab & Kanji Status (Words Stats tab):
<li>The "Oblivion Vocabularies" button shows the "Weak Kanji" stats in its alternate text, and also in the bottom of its window. (Already reported)</li>
<li>Same bug for the "Oblivion Kanji" button. Wrong alternate and window's bottom text. The text shown belongs also to the "Weak Kanji" list.</li>
<li>The "Oblivion Kanji" button seems to point to the correct list, but the side number box has the "Oblivion Vocabulary" count.</li>
<li>The "Excellent Kanji" button points to (probably, at least the numbers match) the "Weak Kanji" list.</li>
<li>The "Weak Kanji" button points to (probably, at least the numbers match) the "Good Kanji" list.</li>
It seems you had a hard copy&paste; session... ;D
- Artur October 1, 2010 at 1:39amI think we need some pagination here and also some edit buttons and something.
Btw. I updated the languages files. Not all is complete, but the most.
- beeant October 1, 2010 at 12:23pm@spanz
Thank you for your bug checking
You are so rigorous, haha.
yes I do copy and paste a lot on similar codes. =D
- spanz October 1, 2010 at 9:33pmNo, I'm not rigurous. I'm just a pain in the ass... ;P
Sorry for being so picky, but point 5 (Weak Kanji Button) is not completely fixed. I guess the count number is now right, but the button still points to other list (probably the Good Kanji list). For example, I have an empty Good Kanji list, and 1 Weak Kanji. When I open the Weak Kanji list to see my only Weak Kanji, I get an empty list.
Bulletin looks really good.
- Ryumatori October 1, 2010 at 9:49pmAwesome Beant! I'm glad to have seen you implemented the page categorical feature. Much more easy for the fingers to scroll down and organized all-round. If I ever get some extra money I'll help ya out :)
- Stray_Mongrel October 3, 2010 at 5:02amI tried to update my location, but it won't let me omit my month and day of birth, which I refuse to post on the internet. I don't mind posting the year I was born, but the full birth date is an avenue for identity theft.
It would be cool if those 2 facts were optional, or we had the ability to hide them, as I trust you with the information, just not the entire world.
- beeant October 1, 2010 at 10:24pm@spanz, it has been fixed now! thank you :)
@Ryumatori, Thanks, I hope it helps. :)
- spanz October 30, 2010 at 5:50am@beeant:
It seems you've moved JCJP from EEUU (San Antonio, Texas?) back to Tokyo.
I don't know why, but it feels slightly more responsive than before (I mean, the last time the server was in Tokyo). Or maybe I'm wrong.
Yesterday it was going fine, with sporadic sort hangs. I guess you were working on it. Anyway, congrats! You excel now at changing hosts!
I'm not sure if it's related, but when you're not logged in, if you go to any user's stats page and click on the user's Notes button you get the user's Notes page with a PHP error. When you're logged in, there's no error. Nothing important...
Good luck with your job hunting!
- beeant October 30, 2010 at 1:36pmHello spanz,
Long time no talk.
Yes I moved it back to the old server.
I think the Japanese Server I am renting now, has better CPUs.
I also did some MySQL index Optimization.
That is why it is running faster now.
It becomes more enjoyable with speed =D
thanks for the error report. I will fix it.
- franstoo October 16, 2010 at 8:32amCan i ask when will the Level 6 Kanji come out?
- spanz October 30, 2010 at 6:44pmJust an idea:
I made a mistake in practice, and the word went into my vocabulary weak list. Almost immediately, that word appeared again in practice. Fine.
On the other hand, words from Good or Oblivion lists don't affect the practice's random order, so it's hard to clear them through practice.
I did a 100 questions practice (all level settings) and I didn't found a single entry from my Good or Oblivion lists (265 entries in total). After the 100 questions, my Good an Oblivion lists remain the same. All the questions came from my Excellent lists.
If you give high priority to Weak lists, why don't you give medium priority to Oblivion lists and low priority to Good ones? The entries of the Excellent lists should have even less priority (they wouldn't appear unless you have cleared the Good, Oblivion and Weak lists), or maybe the same as the Good ones.
What do you think?
- beeant October 30, 2010 at 9:14pmThank you for your idea spanz!
I have implemented that feature.
Now the program will have this flow:
if you are loggedin:
50% to check if you have weak vocab/kanji. if you dont, then random vocab/kanji according to your level will be choosen
50% to check if you have oblivion vocab/kanji. if you dont, then random vocab/kanji according to your level will be choosen
- spanz October 30, 2010 at 10:46pmWow! That was fast!
Much better now. Thank you very much!
When you say "random vocab/kanji according to your level will be chosen", do you mean "random vocab/kanji according to your PRACTICE SETTINGS will be chosen"?
How do you clear your Good lists? You've left them out of the Practice, so just for testing purposes, I've just taken a chain of repeated Tests in order to get rid of a Good Kanji entry. Right now, this is my Good Kanji list:
Kanji Kana Percentage Last Encounter
無料 むりょう 91% (10 - 1) 0 days ago
As you see, I kept taking partial tests until I reached the ratio 10-1, but the Kanji is still "Good". Is this a bug, or do you want us to reach an even better ratio?
Just curiosity: Why do you leave the Good lists out of the Practice?
Thank you again, and no need to hurry!
- beeant October 31, 2010 at 12:02amwhere did you find "random vocab/kanji according to your level will be chosen"?
You cannot clear your good list.
Once you make a mistake on one vocabulary/kanji, it is not a virgin anymore. in other words, it cannot be in excellent list anymore.
Is it ok? or I should change the system?
maybe you can make it excellent again if you get 99.6+% because it has to be rounded to be 100% to be listed in excellent list.
what do you think?
- spanz October 31, 2010 at 12:57am<i>where did you find "random vocab/kanji according to your level will be chosen"?</i>
Right here, in your previous post (October 30, 2010, 9:14 pm), and in your blog:
<i>Now the program will have this flow:
if you are loggedin:
50% to check if you have weak vocab/kanji. if you dont, then <b>random vocab/kanji according to your level will be choosen</b>
50% to check if you have oblivion vocab/kanji. if you dont, then <b>random vocab/kanji according to your level will be choosen</b></i>
Ah, I see. Sorry, I thought Good was just an ordinary level between Excellent and Weak.
Did you plan it to serve as a "hall of shame"? I don't like it very much, but it's fine.
Maybe it would be better/simpler having a single Good cathegory instead of two (Excellent and Good). After all, you can see the success percentage of each entry inside the lists.
- beeant October 31, 2010 at 1:53amyes you're right, it is supposed to be according to the selected level in the settings!
- spanz October 31, 2010 at 4:03amYou never cease to amaze me...
I think there's no more Excellent status anywhere. Good job! I'll keep an eye on it.
While looking for it, I followed the Tour, and there are references to the old Weak List. Maybe it's time to update it. (It's a Joke! just update your TO-DO list!)
- beeant October 31, 2010 at 2:06amOk I agree with you, I just removed excellent status. please tell me if you still notice any excellent status, because I'm not sure where I put them all.
- spanz November 4, 2010 at 4:56amThere's something wrong with the Kanji random practice system?
Within a total set of approx 40 consecutive questions, I've just found 20 times the very same question: 目
It appears in groups, like this:
Yes, sometimes even 5 consecutive 目, sometimes 2, sometimes 1...
The series began when I made a mistake. I was expecting the weak Kanji to appear, but I got that incredible series. Finally, I cleared the weak Kanji.
I don't know if 目 will keep coming. I'm leaving the practice for now. O_o!
- spanz November 4, 2010 at 5:37amSome time later, four questions more, two 目 more...
The problem is still there. :(
- spanz November 4, 2010 at 11:52pmThe random practice system is definitely broken. Next day, 5 first questions, 2 appearances of 目...
- beeant November 5, 2010 at 1:32pmis it still happening?
- spanz November 6, 2010 at 12:45amMmmh. I'm not quite sure about the randomness...
I've just made a Kanji only practice test (all levels), 100 questions in total, Weak Kanji list empty. Oblivion Kanji list had about 12 - 15 Kanji listed at the practice start. No failures, 100 combo.
No more chains of 5 目, but it has still appeared 5 times (2 consecutive!) in total.
I think many of the Kanji appear too many times:
二、三、六、山、and several more appeared 5 or more times (二 has appeared 7 times out of 100, and the question number 101 is 二 again).
I have not count them exactly, but I guess I have seen about 50 different Kanji in total (10 kanji for a total of 50 questions, and 40 Kanji for the remaining 50). I wasn't expecting exactly 100 different Kanji, but I think there are still too many repetitions.
At the same time, oblivion list items seem to have not enough bias. I have not cleared my oblivion list (it has still 3 Kanji) after the 100 questions.
Maybe it's only a matter of luck...
- spanz November 6, 2010 at 5:56amAbout my previous post: Take it with a grain of salt.
The numbers are not really accurate. In particular, the counting of 二.
I left a browser opened with the last question (the question number 101), and I see now that the actual number was 4 (5 if you want to count the next one). I'm pretty sure several other Kanjis appeared at least 5 times, but the memory can fool you, so I'm going to answer another 100 questions writing down the numbers.
About the countings of 目, they're accurate. You can check the stats to get a precise idea.
- spanz November 6, 2010 at 7:01amNext 100 questions, Kanji from all levels.
68 different Kanji, distributed this way (frequency ordered):
Number of times-Kanji
I guess it's not that bad, but there are some remarkable coincidences with the previous estimation. It seems some Kanji appear more frequently than others.
At least, the problem of 目has been fixed.
About the Oblivion Kanji List, I've cleared it (3 items) with the last 100 questions.
- spanz November 6, 2010 at 10:05pmAnoo, what do you mean?
That case is impossible, isn't it?
Sometimes, the question has not any label, but I guess that's because the system treats it as a 'not encountered' Kanji. If your answer is correct, it goes directly to your Good list. If you fail it, it goes to your Weak list.
Anyway, the Kanji must come from the level(s) selected.
In my previous tests, I selected all the levels (even the empty level 6), so all the questions came from my selection.
There must be a misunderstanding...
- beeant November 6, 2010 at 1:24pmHello spanz,
Thank you for doing so much.
For the kanji that doesnt belongs to the level you set, is there anything below the kanji question? like oblivion or weak? or nothing?
- spanz November 7, 2010 at 6:13amI've made another 100-question practice session (same settings) and I've paid attention to the stats label under the Kanji, but all of them were Good. o_O
Before the practice:
Kanji Status: 315 good 0 weak 0 oblivion
After the practice:
Kanji Status: 315 good 0 weak 0 oblivion
All the 100 questions came from my Good list. This is not good.
I think it's good that Weak and Oblivion lists have a positive bias, but Good list should have a negative one in order to increase the chance of encounter "new" Kanjis.
Also, there are many repetitions in the same fashion as in my previous posts.
It seems the lower the level, the bigger the frequency. That's not a random distribution at all.
Are you distributing the questions by random level, and then by random Kanji?
That would explain why the Kanjis from lower levels appear more frequently, as the lower levels have less Kanji to choose from. Such a system wouldn't be really random.
How do you select the questions?
- beeant November 7, 2010 at 11:58amHow about the vocabulary? is it only in kanji?
- beeant November 7, 2010 at 11:57amHello spanz,
I cannot really reply quickly, I am sorry for the problem.
I just checked with my account, and it doesn't work like that.
I will check further to see the problem
- spanz November 7, 2010 at 5:43pmLooking at the "Word Stats" of other level 6 users and comparing them with mine, I see there's no much difference (except for the pathological 目). The Word Stats list is not the same as the stats from a practice session because it shows accumulated results, but it could be a good tool to evaluate the randomness.
In an ideal world, all the entries should have similar frequency. That's not the case, but the results are affected by the practice settings. That is, if you practice with only your level questions, then the stats will show preference for that level.
In the long, long run, the frequencies should converge (provided the users change sometimes their practice settings), but we don't know the users preferences while practicing, and the system is pretty new, so judging it by the Words Stats is unfair. Of course, judging it by a 100-question session is unfair, too.
As lists are frequency ordered, they show a kind of linear histogram. I was expecting lower levels Kanji at the top of every list, but that's not the case.
Once again, if the user's settings don't include Kanji from every level, the list cannot be compared, but it probably means that lower levels don't have preference after all.
I can't believe my account is different in any way. If other users' accounts show different statistics, it can be due to different settings, or plain luck.
The case of 目 was clearly wrong, but the preference for lower levels is not clear. The Weak and Oblivion biases affect also the frequencies. I guess it's too soon to analyze the frequency stats. Sorry for worrying you. Blame the 目! :p
In any case, it seems you can't encounter all the Kanji while practicing, so I still think there's something wrong with the system. <b>Do I need to take all tests again to set all the Kanjis free for practice?</b>
About the Vocabulary, idk, I'll check it later.
- spanz November 8, 2010 at 4:06amSome news: In order to overtake Gonzah in the ranking (Hahaha!) , I did 2 questions of (level 1 only) Kanji practice. This were the questions:
1-開店する <-Is this a level 1 word? I don't think so.
2-新宿 <-This was "new" for my stats. Now I have 316 Good Kanji. It seems you can encounter "new" Kanji in practice, after all.
If I remember it well, long ago you said the level settings are not absolute. I mean, if you select level 3, you'll get Kanji from level 3, but also from lower levels.
If this is true, maybe it's affecting the randomness somehow.
I kept changing and saving my settings without answering anything, just to see what Kanji appears.
I get usually many repeated Kanji. These are the 15 most common, in no particular order: 目、二、三、五、六、八、九、山、十、人、本、村、開店する、場所、東京.
In 10 attempts, you can be pretty confident of see at least two or three of those Kanji. Or even six of them!
The level settings doesn't change things much. You could select only level 5 and get 三, or select only level 1 and get 授業料.
If you select only certain level, it seems (although it's not very clear) you get more Kanji from that level, but you still keep getting too many Kanjis from the common set.
Selecting one level, two levels, all levels or none at all doesn't fix the bias. In many cases, you get common Kanjis, and the levels settings seem to be ignored.
Moreover, all the Kanjis I get are usually from my Good list. Very, very rarely, I get a "new" Kanji (with no label).
I don't know what's happening. Maybe the settings are broken, and that affects also the Kanji random selection.
Vocabulary seems to be fine. I've done a 100-question Vocabulary practice (all levels selected). I've made 1 mistake that went into my weak list.
I've gotten 98 different words, only 1 repetition (plus the one from my weak list, so it doesn't count). It seems really random.
At same time, my Oblivion list have lost approx 50 entries.
I'd say Vocabulary is well.
Sorry for the long posts. I'll shut my mouth for a while... and let Gonzah overtake me again! XD
- spanz December 23, 2010 at 5:16amWow! How fast (both you and the sounds)!
Haha! I knew you could do it.
Well, the new TTS voice is not very good (neither the Vds ones), and talks quite fast for my tastes, but is acceptable. I'm sure Google's people will improve it.
About the voice buttons, they are now really fast, and the compatibility is great.
All in all, it's much better now. Thank you very much, and don't worry if you can't give us your big Xmas present in time.
A little question: Why Notes are still using the old voice system? Is there any problem?
On an unrelated matter, (my old frequency of Kanji problem) and just for your information, I made some more practice some time ago (last month) and I think the problem is gone. I'm not really sure, but I thing something changed last month.
If you want, I have more statistics for you to discuss about it when you have time. I just wanted you to know it, so don't worry. I'll wait...
Thanks again, and merry Xmas, too!
- beeant January 18, 2011 at 10:24pmSpanz,
I am sorry for this problem.
I will check on that problem.
I might not be able to fix it quickly, I will send you some notification after I did some fixes.
Is that ok?
I am sorry... :(
- spanz January 18, 2011 at 8:04amKanji problems again...
From a series of about 1000 Kanji Practice questions (Only Kanji-All levels selected) , I've encountered only about 30 "new" Kanjis. And I had about 500 to "discover" yet!
In the last 200 questions, I didn't encounter a single "new" Kanji. :(
I've switched to Kanji-Only level 1, and in 200 questions I've gotten 51 "new" Kanjis.
Much, much better!
For some reason, finding "new" Kanjis in All-level Practice is too difficult. Almost impossible for me.
Meanwhile, I was keeping an eye on my Oblivion Kanji list, because I think it's also very difficult to clear.
When I only had three Kanji in my Oblivion list, I found and cleared one of them (国民 こくみん) but the button didn't discount it! The Kanji went correctly to the Good list, disappearing from the Oblivion list, but the button kept saying "3".
Finally, I've cleared my Oblivion Kanji list, but the button keeps saying "1"!
Once in a while, I still get odd series, like this one, extracted from my last 200 questions in Kanji Practice - Only level 1:
5 京都, (4 of them consecutive!) mixed with 2 東京. Not very random...
Nobody else has problems with Kanji Practice? :(
- spanz January 19, 2011 at 1:27amDon't be sorry. I don't really care, but those problems might annoy some other users, so I reported them.
If noone else is having those problems you can ignore them (the problems, not the users!).
Perhaps my stats are corrupted. You can reset them if you want.
Don't worry too much about it. You have other things to take care of.
And once again, I'm not complaining. I'm only trying to <s>bother you</s> collaborate a little bit! :)
- spanz January 22, 2011 at 9:06pmMore info. Lists stuck:
I cleared all my Weak and Oblivion lists (save the 1 inexistent Oblivion Kanji), and after more than 500 questions in Practice (Level 6, Kanji + Vocab. + Reverse Vocab.) NEVER got a single new Kanji nor Vocabulary.
My lists got finally stuck at 595 Vocabulary (all Good), and 712 Kanji (all Good).
That means that in Practice, I only found items from that reduced set of questions and thus, too many repetitions. That doesn't explain the odd chains of repetitions, but maybe it has something to do with it.
Finally, I decided to take again all the Tests to force all the items to go to the Good or Weak lists. This way, I set all my Kanji free (1073). I'm doing right now all the Vocabulary tests for the same reason. The Practice is now much better for me.
StonerPenguin had also her Kanji list stuck, and she's taking all the tests too to set all her Kanji free.
Her Vocabulary list seems to be right, though.
It seems I'm not alone, so definitely, there must be some bug.
Obviously, this problem can affect only the users that took their Tests before you created the Good, Weak and Oblivion lists, but there are many of them, and it seems noone noticed it. It's really strange.
I can't believe only 2 users are affected.
- spanz January 23, 2011 at 3:39amお邪魔します！
Another little bug:
My final Kanji count is 1073, all of them Good. I've reached that sum taking again all the Tests, but my Good list contains only 1072, the same amount the user Ela has because he/she did all the Kanji Tests this very month.
So I have at least two wrong counts:
-Good Kanji 1073 should be 1072.
-Oblivion Kanji 1 should be 0.
Maybe if the counts are wrong the odds of appearance of new Kanji or Vocabulary are affected in some way.
Putting that aside, if the stuck lists affects finally more users, maybe you could move all the non-encountered Kanji / Vocab for each user's level and previous levels to the Oblivion list. I don't know if that is easy to do, but I suggest it because the stuck lists affects the user's experience with the Practice mode, and taking all Tests again is really, really long (believe me! :)).
- beeant January 23, 2011 at 12:13pmThanks for all the reports spanz.
I will have all my finals this week.
I will fix them after my finals :)
I'm really sorry...
- beeant January 26, 2011 at 3:25amThank you for your understanding :)
- spanz January 23, 2011 at 4:52pmForget us until then.
Good luck! ^^
- beeant January 30, 2011 at 8:45pmanga, I am sorry for the late reply.
I will fix them ASAP.
Thank you for the report :)
spanz, I have fixed the combo bug. please check it, and also, please tell me if there are still problems. Thank You :)
- anga January 26, 2011 at 11:22amOne bug, only for report, i know you are with yours finals (good luck!).
I use the spanish translation with Chrome on Linux and when i log out, ok is log out in all languages but i am not log out from English version, i close the browser, turn off the pc and come back tomorrow and open the browser i still loged.
Thanks and good luck!
- StonerPenguin January 30, 2011 at 11:02pmAugh! I'm gonna reboot and see if it clears up but right now, I can't maintain a combo. Like last night I had a 150+ combo and when I answered more questions all of a sudden it says 'combo' and started me off with 7~12 points per question. I even opened a new practice page, answered about 30 questions and I still couldn't get a combo D: It just says 'combo' with no numbers....
- StonerPenguin January 30, 2011 at 11:39pmYeah, I rebooted and it's still doing it.... I guess I won't be with the users of the month... D':
- StonerPenguin January 31, 2011 at 12:59amThanks beeant. I'll try to clear my cookies when I get home =D
- beeant January 30, 2011 at 11:42pmReally?
its fine for me..
I am really sorry for this problem StonerPenguin.
Have you try to clear your cookies
- beeant January 31, 2011 at 1:19amI didnt know if this site works on IE, because I am using Mac.. There is no IE...
but I'm glad that it works for you.
I am using firefox, I think it should work for you too.
- StonerPenguin January 31, 2011 at 1:05amHey, I just tried to practice on IE and it worked! I guess just my FireFox is messed up :P
- StonerPenguin January 31, 2011 at 6:53amI cleared my cookies and it worked like a charm!! Thanks beeant. That was such a weird error though ;p
- spanz January 31, 2011 at 6:58amYes, no problem with my firefox. Weird problem...
I posted what follows in Stoner's box (although it's for beeant) but this is a better place so I'll repost it here. Look at the previous posts in StonerPenguin's box.
Right now all seems to be right for me.
Until now, every time I pushed "Save Settings", I lost my combo, but not today. Well, for one reason or another, my settings were corrupted. I didn't change anything, but I did push "Save Settings", my settings got fixed, but I didn't lose my combo.
This is the first time I see that.
Do you mean you've changed the combo system?
Doesn't the combo break anymore just changing the settings?
Does the combo break only when you make a mistake?
If that is true, I like it!
Good luck with your bad finals! :)
And some more weirdness:
All Practice and Tests give suddenly less points than some hours ago.
Kanji level 5 or Vocab level 6 gave 110 points with x10 combo. Now they give only 90 points.
It's the same for all levels. It seems all things worth 2 points less than before, except Hiragana and Katakana lessons. The range with x10 combo is from 40 to 90 points. Some hours ago, it was 60 to 110.
And a weirder thing: The first attempt I did to see what points do you get from tests,
I got 90 points from a single Vocabulary Test Level 6 question. The second question gave me only 9.
I don't know what's happening, but JCJP doesn't seem very stable.
And once again, remember your finals go first!
- vaendryl January 31, 2011 at 6:46pmwith smart.fm going commercial and all, I can see this site becoming more popular.
- vaendryl January 31, 2011 at 6:45pmI'm happy to see this site is still being worked on.
- spanz February 1, 2011 at 1:03amI don't understand your reason to reduce the EXP, but it's not an important thing. I reported it 'cos I thought it was a bug. If you want, you can reduce it.
On the other hand, I do really like the new persistent combo.
Maybe some day I'll break my 777 barrier!
Oh, don't worry. JCJP will be more popular. As Stoner says, that's fo' sho'!
- beeant January 31, 2011 at 11:08pmSpanz,
Yes I reduced the EXP yesterday.. because the combo is now saved even though you go to the other page... But I put it back to normal now, since I think you don't really like it :)
Thank you for the support. I will keep the site free for learning :) so don't worry. I will try to monetize it in some other ways. I got to pay for the server too...
And also, I will keep on improving the site as much as I can.
I hope JCJP is going to be more popular :)
- spanz February 1, 2011 at 1:57amA curiosity: Lately, most notifications come doubled, but not all of them.
Ya, flash takes so much resources :(
I still leave the vdsapi.net codes, just in case for easy switch back.
And I think it is ready to be removed as it has gone stable with Google translate for a while.
- spanz February 3, 2011 at 2:49amNice autoplaying sound. It works well, but there are some problems:
It is quite fast, but it produces big slowdowns when you open long lists, like Hiragana & Katakana practice. (By the way, someone said that sometimes, during Hira/Kata practice, an answer can be exactly the same as the "question". It's true!)
The longer the list, the bigger the slowdown that autoplay produces.
The worst case is surely the Big Note. The list take eons to load and it's so big (2000 entries) that the Flash plugin starts to eat memory until it uses 1GB of ram + another GB of virtual memory. At that point, Flash crashes and Firefox starts to use all the CPU time (100% of a core). Unless you have a multicore CPU to keep things running, you probably won't have a chance to close the offending browser's tab, and you'll have to kill the browser or even restart the system.
Too much Flash, I fear...
It seems as if you were loading a player for each line in the list.
I don't know if you could use only one instance of the Flash audio player for the whole list and put many links to it.
Anyway, right now you should avoid the autoplay in Notes (or in certain Notes).
And a small cosmetic bug: The play icons don't scale with the browser's zoom.
I wonder why the web still connects to vdsapi.net. Are you using Google Translate or the previous vdsapi system? or both?
- beeant February 9, 2011 at 9:55pmHello Anga,
I'm sorry for the problem.
Right now, I am working on another problem.
I will leave it as it is for now (I'm sorry), and I will get to work on it ASAP.
- anga February 8, 2011 at 9:01amHelllo beeant.
In my report (the log in and log out problem), i found the problem (i think :P), each languaje have one different session, if i log in in english vension and change and change to spanish, in the spanish i am not log in, then i log in, but if i log out from spanish version, the inglish version still logged.
- anga February 10, 2011 at 1:03amHello beeant.
I'm sorry, i do not try to say that the problem is important for me, only i tell you because if i dont tell you, i will forget.
Sorry for the misunderstanding and thank you for the answer.
- spanz February 15, 2011 at 4:07amThere's still a bug in the Practice's Settings. It has something to do with the lack of level 6 Kanji.
I don't know how this could affect users from lower levels (if it does).
Whenever you select Kanji and Level 6 (alone or in combination with others levels, with or without Vocabulary) you get ONLY Kanji questions from level 5.
If you want to practice with the maximum set of questions (Vocab+Kanji+All levels)
you end practicing with Vocab from L1 to L6 and Kanji from only L5.
The most complete setting is Vocab+Kanji+L1+L2+L3+L4+L5. In this case, you get what you asked for, but of course you don't get L6 Vocab questions. The very moment you set also L6, you lose Kanji from L1 to L4.
This can make some Weak or Oblivion Kanji lists impossible to clear.
By the way, I'm glad to be the user with the highest Good Kanji count of the whole site, but I insist I don't deserve it. I remind you my correct count should be 1072, and my Oblivion Kanji count should be zero. The lists are ok, the counts not.
Happy late Valentine! Here's still 14... :)
- spanz February 15, 2011 at 6:34amNo need to run, man!
We appreciate your work, even when we can't see it.
For now, just fix your Settings system. If a user selects Kanji + L6 (among other settings), you just have to ignore that specific combination. Right now, you change internally K6+Kx to only K5.
Some examples (V=Vocabulary, K=Kanji):
Settings: (V+K)6 = As there's no K6, you change it to K5. The result=V6+K5
Settings: (V+K)6 = As there's no K6, you should ignore it. The result=V6 + No Kanji
Settings: (V+K)1,2,3,4,5,6 = As there's no K6, you change it to K5. The result=V1,2,3,4,5,6+K5
Settings: (V+K)1,2,3,4,5,6 = As there's no K6, you should ignore it. The result=V1,2,3,4,5,6+K1,2,3,4,5
I hope you can understand.
- beeant February 15, 2011 at 4:15amHappy Valentine's day spanz, and Everyone.
I will work on the Kanji level 6 ASAP, I have been working on many things on my own... I'm sorry for being so late at this :(
- beeant February 24, 2011 at 7:09amHello spanz,
I'm really sorry for the problem.
I will try to remake JCJP when I have time..
I'm thinking to remove all those chapters and levels for lesson.
The level will be fully from EXP point.
So the learning will be based on the sorting of the vocabulary in the database.
The user can go through all the vocabularies to encounter them all.
and then re-learn them using the oblivion and weak list filtering, and all other filtering.
so it will be fully personalized and easier to use.
What do you think about this?
I'm thinking about the plan.
- spanz February 17, 2011 at 2:44amAnoo, have you changed something lately in Kanji tests?
I took all of them last month and I didn't notice this:
Kanji Chapter 40, question 2:
The correct answer appears twice, the first and the last one.
- beeant February 24, 2011 at 7:12amI'm thinking that there is no level for all vocabularies, in other words all vocabularies are actually have the same difficulties, it is depending on the user.
so personalization is really important.
What do you think?
spanz, are you good at math? I mean something like scientific math?
- spanz February 25, 2011 at 4:03amPlease, explain your plan better! Sounds good, but I don't quite understand it.
You need as many opinions as you can get, but anyway, here are my thoughts:
<b><i>I'm thinking to remove all those chapters and levels for lesson.</i></b>
Simplicity and ease of use are good (and surely the current system could be simplified) but we need some way to distribute the study in manageable chunks. I'd rather not have to deal with all the vocabulary/Kanji at once.
What kind of vocabulary sorting can substitute the chapters system?
<b><i>The level will be fully from EXP point.</i></b>
What? That's exactly what we have now. O_o
Of course, personalization is important (and RPGish!), and I agree that the difficulty is subjective, but the usefulness is also important. That is, the levels can be arbitrary, but we need a way to sort the list by importance (frequency of use, for instance). We all want to learn the most important words first.
Also, the EXP earned from each word should be somehow inversely proportional to its importance, because learning the less important words will need some extra motivation.
Summarizing, I do believe we need some kind of vocabulary/kanji leveling by importance, and we also need some kind of lesson chaptering to study. On the other hand, I guess the Tests are prescindible.
Please, explain us your idea in detail.
About Maths, I'm afraid not. Just the basics. :(
What do you have in mind?
- beeant February 28, 2011 at 10:52amspanz,
I have just updated some really good new features (in my opinion)
This new features update explains what I mean in the previous post.
On the bottom of the main menu, you can find Tasks menu where you have to clear them list (New, Weak, Oblivion). You can do the test to get the vocabulary/kanji in the specific list. In this way, you can clear those lists easier than trying to find them in practice or chapter tests. This feature can give you a clear idea of the task that you need to do and clearer to complete the task.
What do you think?
- Gituska February 28, 2011 at 8:29amAh, Big B. sensed kind of injustice. Where shall we encouter new vocabularies? At the same dungeon-chapter (centralized absolutism) vs. dungeon-note (pure anarchy) Popularity of note -> dynamical, community derived.
@spanz, he wanted your SWOT analysis for his plan as usual.
Of course... 2+2=5 (he hates chapters and the other textbook-like items in general. His finals caused him a serious trauma.)
@Beeant: Zadeh´s fuzzy logic? Modeling the fuzzy control system?
- spanz March 1, 2011 at 5:03amAha! I see...
I like it. Clearing the lists is now much, much easier. It looks good, too (*1). It has a very simple layout and it's very easy to use.
On the other hand, the New list's items can be more difficult to learn than using the lessons because some of the consecutive items in lessons are related. Not a big deal, though.
Do you plan to remove the lessons? What about the combinations of use in the lessons?
The points earned while clearing the lists are confusing. The combo system is doing its job, but you can only see the points. Showing also the combo would be nicer.
What about the Practice settings weirdness? It also affects the lists clearing while practicing.
@Gituska: Hahaha! Díky! You're very funny!
I don't know if you're good at Maths (*2), but you're very good at making metaphores. The dungeon ones are great!
(*1) Some of the ugly play buttons overlap the test window's bottom.
(*2) I'm not sure about this advanced equation: 2+2=5. Maybe 2+2=3? XD
- beeant February 28, 2011 at 10:55amOh ya Gituska,
If I'm not wrong, as far as I can remember you are good at math.
Is that true?
- beeant March 1, 2011 at 6:52amThank you for liking the new task feature.
I actually forgot about the clearing EXP point, I thought combo is not involved in that? or maybe due to the combo codes change before, the combo is involved in every tests...
Actually, starting from now, I want to standardize all EXP point earnings that will be earned from now on, to be 0+level of the vocabulary/kanji. Of course the combo system will remain still.
The current EXP point is kind of confusing, don't you think so?
Every time you answer question from JCJP vocabulary/kanji database, it will affect your vocabulary/kanji status, which means, it is possible to clear the list from practice, chapter test, and task.
- beeant March 1, 2011 at 6:59amFor now, I am not going to remove the lessons.
- Gituska March 1, 2011 at 10:39pmI like the new task feature too. Great idea.
- Gituska March 1, 2011 at 10:32pmOh, ya... I´m quite good at cooking. Recipe is nothing else than an algorithm, so Beeant´s question turned me into self-proclaimed prodigy in applied mathematics.
@spanz: advanced equations for extremely large values of 2
George Orwell~1984: 2+2=5
Shopping = 2+1 gratis
Bedroom: (2 legs+2 legs) in one bed = 3
- spanz March 2, 2011 at 4:44amOops! I mean <big><big><big>2</big></big></big>+<big><big><big>2</big></big></big>=7
- spanz March 2, 2011 at 4:42am@Gituska: Of course! Now I understand:
- Gituska March 2, 2011 at 6:06ambug report: tasks pop-up window is overfloating (Mozilla Firefox). I own very wide widescreen, certainly wider than expected:D Close button in upper corner is permamently out of my matrix.
@spanz: lol, great deduction!
@Beeant: Are you still looking for such scientific math experts? Or did you have in your mind anything more serious?
- beeant March 2, 2011 at 9:55pmThanks Gituska.
Actually that recommendation system is part of my Graduation Thesis. So I think I will do it by myself... haha
but still, if I want to apply that recommendation system, there are so much processing needs to be done, so it is difficult to be implemented in the current JCJP, as JCJP needs stronger server...
- beeant April 5, 2011 at 4:51amThats a good idea spanz, listing from the worse words, I'll do it.
Ya, because some users keep on doing the same question over and over again for the sake of getting EXP.
Maybe from some users' point of view EXP is really a big deal, but from my point of view, if your purpose is for learning, there are other hidden points that is not implemented to be shown yet.
Actually the EXP system is not good enough to show your ability of Japanese Language, I'm thinking to rank user from the vocabularies they own (vocabularies they encounter and how good is the stats). Of course I will leave EXP as Effort point.
So in my opinion, please don't worry so much about EXP. I'm thinking about new purpose of JCJP, which is to collect words and manage the collected words.
What do you think about this?
- spanz April 5, 2011 at 3:41amNice image feature. Not a deep change, though.
The name Forum is probably better than Bulletin.
Just another idea:
When you do your Tasks (Oblivion Lists, for example), you are presented with 15 words to begin with.
Those words are selected from the top of the corresponding List, and those Lists are ordered by the number of good answers.
In my case, if I want to clear my Oblivion Lists, I get my 15 most repeated words, the first ones with more than 40 correct answers. Due to this, I get 0 EXP and this funny advice:
<b>You have answered this kanji correctly for more than 30 times.
Please proceed to the next vocabularies in other chapters.
0 EXP earned</b>
I have to clear all of them sooner or later, but It would be better if the 15 items were selected from the bottom of the Lists, where our worse words live.
(By the way, "next vocabularies" is wrong here. It should be "kanji")
I'm not sure if that advice and its EXP penalty is appropriate in the Tasks.
I think it's more logical in Practice.
- spanz April 6, 2011 at 7:50amI don't really care about EXP, although it adds fun for many of us.
I'd like to see the new ranking system. It would be more accurate than the EXP ranking, and could increase our motivation. If that help us to learn, then it'll be great!
Please, tell us more about it, and keep on making JCJP interesting!
- Gonzah April 6, 2011 at 12:57pmHey guys! i've never seen this hidden section before, it's a kind of forum, or it is private chat? Ok i checked the new improves, i like it. But i cant understand the "trends" section, i was trying and i saw some pics with wikipedia links, im a little bit confused. Oh! and that new ranking system will be cool! tell more about that!
And i have to confess i really learn a lot here, so im in debt with you beeant u_u
but dont remove the EXP points, that was a big motivation for us, or not Spanz?what do u think? yeah keep it real beeant, you are awesome ;)
PD : sorry for my badly english ^^
- Gonzah April 7, 2011 at 8:55amoh, i can see... thanks for the explanation beeant , you are so kind
well i'll go to take a look =) then tell us more about your new changes
See you later!
- beeant April 6, 2011 at 8:47pmwelcome to Forum Gonzah, it was formerly called bulletin.
What is it that you don't understand about trends? Please tell me, in short and enough explanations. I really want to make trends feature to be easy to understand and useful.
So basically trends feature is a feature to get into deeper about Japan, something like learning Japanese culture.
In the trends listing page, you can see the listing of current Internet trends in Japan (daily update basis). The trends ranking is defined according to Wikipedia (Japan) number page views. I think that this is good enough (not perfect) to be the parameter of defining Internet trends since when you search about something on Google, Wikipedia page is often to be on the top of the results.
So in the listing page, you can see photos, and basic information.
- Title in Kanji, katakana, and English
- Wikipedia links, you can see the translation, of what the page is called in different countries by doing mouse over on the flag. You can also get to learn a new Japanese vocabulary by doing this.
- If you are interested with the title/topic of the item in the listing, you can click on the picture or the big title heading (often in kanji).
- After you click it, you will be brought to the About page of what you have just clicked. On this page, you will be given more related information about the title/topic such as, photos, videos, news, blog posts, items that you can buy, and most importantly is the dictionary information that allows you to learn new vocabularies, while enjoying other related information.
You also have option for different trends listing divided into categories.
That was my explanation about the trend feature, I'm trying to integrate some interactivity to the trends feature, where you can earn points by using the feature.
Lastly, I would like to point the basic purpose of trends feature, which are:
- learn Japanese culture
- get to know what is going on in Japan through Internet trends.
- learn new vocabularies & kanji beyond.
I hope that you can understand my explanation.
Thank You for reading,
- beeant April 7, 2011 at 9:23amand here is the ranking based on collected vocabularies from Note
- beeant April 7, 2011 at 9:21amJust for info, here is some interesting preview of the Ranking based on collected vocabularies.
first is collected vocabularies from Lesson
- beeant April 7, 2011 at 9:25amIt's pretty sad that StonerPenguin's effort in the background, until now is not so much prominent.
- beeant April 8, 2011 at 4:16amNew Add Note -> Create Note form.
What do you think about this? is it difficult to see?
- spanz April 10, 2011 at 7:07pmYou forgot to change the "Bulletin" tab in the main page (in the small frame).
- spanz April 10, 2011 at 6:49pmNo it isn't. It's very readable. Not very pretty, but good enough.
- beeant April 10, 2011 at 11:28pmthank you very much spanz I will fix the bulletin tab soon.
About the Oblivion Kanji list, I will look in to the problem now.
- spanz April 10, 2011 at 7:31pmIn the Oblivion Kanji List, some of the "Play buttons" reproduce the wrong sounds, taken apparently from the Vocabulary Oblivion List.
the 八 button reproduces パソコン
六 becomes いす
今 sounds いちまん
語 sounds えき
えき is not amongst the 15 words shown in the Vocabulary Oblivion List. I bet it's in the next bunch of 15.
- Gonzah April 12, 2011 at 8:01amHey beeant! thats a nice improvement =)
oh and i wanna tell you i have some problems with the Practice mode, when i set to use certain level (e.g. level 1) there still appears me the words from the others level, and the same with kanji and vocabulary mode, if u can fix that i'll really appreciate it and the site will be improved. See ya! ^^
- StonerPenguin April 12, 2011 at 12:23pm'Ello Beeant! JCJP is lookin' good =D digging the updates man. One wee little problem I have is that there's some sort of malicious page that redirects me from JCJP to a site that looks like a mock scan of computer folders. It says my computer is infected and it's hard to get away from :/ this happens pretty much everytime I visit and the first time this happened was like a year ago. Though it seems to be worse now. I just have to hit 'back' and close out of it in time... Anyway to fix it?
- Mistwalker April 13, 2011 at 2:56amHi Beeant, i am having the same problem with StonerPenguin now, its only on this site that i get the redirects by loads of ads. I've run anti virus, ad-aware, Ccleaner etc etc but finds nothing. Mainly for game ads that keeps redirecting to. :(
- beeant April 12, 2011 at 3:52pmHello StonerPenguin,
Long time no see. Thank you for digging the updates.
Is it because of the ads?
Have you got any problem with the ads recently? like that auto redirects?
To fix it, you can try using these software (for Windows) I always used it when I was using Windows. (but I'm using Mac now)
- http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html SpyBot search & Destroy, I'm not sure but maybe you should download the latest detection updates too on the same page
- CCleaner http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/
Just try these two first, if you still have the problem, you can let me know again.
- spanz April 13, 2011 at 7:04amBeeant, I'm not having that redirection problem, but for your information (just in case you haven't noticed it yet), you've got memory problems:
This is from this very page:
<b>Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 536870912 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 8388608 bytes) in /var/www/vhosts/japaneseclass.jp/httpdocs/system/database/DB_driver.php on line 286</b>
- beeant April 13, 2011 at 4:21amI'm so sorry for this problem.
This is a big problem.
Which page did you get the auto redirects? is it only the practice page or all the pages?
- Mistwalker April 13, 2011 at 11:44pmMainly the practice area which is the most effected, couple from other areas of site. I normally get anywhere from 2-8 questions done depending on speed before re-direct. Use firefox, but tried IE and got same problem in case it was the browser. Its only been the last few days that this has happened. :( So far today not had a problem
- beeant April 14, 2011 at 3:01amYa, I don't have that redirection problem too.
I think it's because of the ads, and the ads are shown according to our location.
I have removed the suspected ads from practice page. If you encounter with such thing again, please tell me. I will remove it from all pages. Actually I want to remove all the ads, it doesn't generate enough money to cover up JCJP server costs. It actually only generate really small amount of money. I will remove the ads when there are enough money collected from donation.
I'm really sorry for this problem..
I also have plan to remove ads for all donors ASAP. Right now I'm working on reading feature.
- spanz April 18, 2011 at 2:54amMore thoughts about the Reading feature:
The sound system chooses their own Kanji reading (often different than the parser's chosen one). For coherence's sake, you could send the Kana to the TTS (not the Kanji).
- spanz April 18, 2011 at 2:29amThis is probably a better place to talk about the new Reading feature (instead of beeant's comment box) so here I go:
Collaborating improving Edict sounds good, but I'm afraid we're not ready to do so. Using Google's translations is surely not good enough for Edict's maintainers, let alone our own translations using other methods. I don't know Edict's standards, but they must have some quality checking.
Have you talked with the Edict guys?
For the time being, I would filter out the problematic entries (provided you can detect them somehow).
On the other hand, the parser has its own little problems, too. It breaks some words, and in the process, the furigana / reading is also wrong. For example:
<small>こめかみ</small> (The furigana should be <small>べいし</small>)
The parser takes these Kanji separately, and that produces:
米 Kome rice
紙 Kami paper
As vocabulary, these are perfectly good, but make no sense in context.
The word 米紙 is in Edict, so I guess the parser is using some other database.
Maybe you could use Edict to check the parsing results and filter out the words if they don't match. Or maybe correct them using Edict's results. Or better, change the parser to use Edict.
Anyway, there are less problems than I imagined. Congrats!
- spanz April 19, 2011 at 12:20amDon't press yourself. You're right. There's no perfect system. Never will be.
Probably, an Edict-only based parser (like Rikaichan) could be in fact worse than Mecab because Mecab is a syntax analyzer (it detects parts of speech), and Edict is just a dictionary (although huge).
Mecab can be less complete than Edict, but I guess it will give us better results with the different verbal or adjectival inflections.
The purpose of Edict is different, so using it to identify words could produce worse results.
If you think Mecab is better than Kakasi, stick with it. No problem.
If you stack several parsers, the mistakes will be reduced, but you will never eliminate them, so we have to live with some mistakes. It's not a big deal.
It's the same with the automated sounds. Some of them will be wrong.
Just leave it as is for now. We're not in a hurry. There will be time to make it better.
An idea: To deal with the errors, you could put a reporting button. The users could mark some entries as problematic, and you (or someone else) could check them later to see if they're obviously wrong. If an entry is useless, it should be deleted from the statistics of all the users, and it should be added to a mistakes table.
The mistakes table could then be used to filter out the next appearances of the same mistakes (or even to correct the Mecab's dictionary, if that can be done).
If you're going to reinvent Rikaichan, don't do it. It will be a waste of time. As long as the list is not too long, the table is good. If an user wants to use Rikaichan, that's fine, too.
And no, technology is not perfect. Relax!
- beeant April 18, 2011 at 5:08amThank you for the parsing problem detection.
This is a serious problem, but it is difficult to solve.
Right now I am using mecab to parse them.
There are several other parsers like kakasi, but I prefer to stick with mecab parser...
different dictionary will have different entry completion for example:
some words can be parsed perfectly based on dictionary in kakasi
some words can be parsed perfectly based on dictionary in mecab
some words can be parsed perfectly based on edict
same with the mistakes, each dictionary has its own miss/style/parsing style
so it is difficult to choose either one, it is possible to aggregate them all, but it will require higher processing which would slow down the processing time, and I think it is not necessary, as long as you can always learn the vocabularies related to the news material, I think it is fine.
What do you think?
I have tried several ways to fix it with trying out different parsers today. and I realize that not matter what I use, it's difficult to be 100% perfect. and mecab is still the best parser in my opinion so far, it will automatically detect the dictionary form transformation. So, I think I will stick with the current system and try to make it better.
I will try to make a feature when you mouseover the word in the news content, the word properties will show on the top of the vocabulary list table. so you do not have to scroll down to search for it.
Rikaichan is always the best reading tool. You can read using Rikaichan, and do the quiz to collect vocabularies.
Actually, I'm really confused, it's really difficult to make things perfect. I tried my best.
I think technology is perfect, but it is not perfect at the same time.
- beeant April 19, 2011 at 5:23amSpanz, thank you for tolerating with this problem for now, I hope everyone would tolerate this problem too. It is actually kind of difficult for me to tolerate this problem too... I feel uneasy. But I need to move on to proceed coding to complete this reading feature, such as reading stats in your statistics page, vocabulary stats that I promised.
I just made the program to be more robust, so when there are changes in the parsing, your answers and reading completion will automatically synchronize. This was the problem that caused me to reset some of your reading stats before. So there will be no more reset from now.
I'm thinking to change the code so that 2 kana vocabularies would not show, because they might cause some confusion like こと etc.. these words may have so many meanings..
What do you think about this?
Languages are so complex, not only Japanese, in all the languages I know, one word can mean many things.. ><
- spanz April 19, 2011 at 5:25amIt seems Reading is working better today. There are less errors, and one of yesterday's problematic entries (いる) is fixed now. Beeant, have you changed something?
Nonetheless, I've seen a strange bug you can probably fix:
など et cetera
Edict says the same:
● et cetera
● and the like
● and so forth
● or something
● the likes of
During the Quiz, I answered "et cetera", and I got:
Well, according to Edict, など doesn't mean "class". など can be written 等, and 等 can be read as など (meaning "et cetera") and also as とう (meaning "class", amongst other things). Check it using Rikaichan.
The problem here is the use of the Kanji. The original text was in Kana, so this is not good. I didn't see 等 in the text or in the vocabulary table, and of course, I didn't answer "class". Converting Kana into Kanji is very dangerous and plainly wrong.
I wonder if my stats are saved as 等 "class" or as など "et cetera".
- spanz April 19, 2011 at 5:44amThe same weird thing is happening with いる:
to be (of animate objects)
The system chooses here a possible (the correct one, I think) Kanji for いる, but this is not a good idea. Even if you must guess the most probable meaning, you shouldn't convert the Kana to Kanji.
Of course, if you plan to skip words like など or いる (Kana-alone words), the problem will also disappear.
- spanz April 19, 2011 at 5:31amOops! I didn't see your previous post. Skipping short Kana-alone words is probably a good idea.
Quote: <b><i>I just made the program to be more robust, so when there are changes in the parsing, your answers and reading completion will automatically synchronize</i></b>
Maybe that's what's happening with など. Is this a collateral effect?
- beeant April 22, 2011 at 12:22amI'm sorry spanz, I read your replies, but I'm currently busy remaking statistics page. I will get back to you later ASAP.
- spanz April 20, 2011 at 2:53amI've seen an empty article in the Reading section, business page.
The title is 今夏の電力不足で産業部門の節電が難航、経済への打撃に懸念
That's from jp.reuters.com web:
The quiz is fine. The table has 35 words and all seems to be right, except the text body, which is empty (even refreshing).
- Gonzah April 24, 2011 at 5:56amHi there pals, well i found a tiny flaw in my practice today, not very important but well... i put a image, thanks bye! ^^
PS: oh its a double correct answer, but one of those is wrong. tricky >.<
- beeant April 25, 2011 at 12:56pmThanks for the report Gonzah!
it has been fixed now.
- beeant April 26, 2011 at 12:15pmPlease tell me anytime at your comfort. :)
- Gonzah April 25, 2011 at 1:48pmThank you beeant for fixing that!
i was thinking in new improves and ideas for the page, in the next time i'll tell you, now i gotta go to sleep >.< Matane!
- Gonzah June 4, 2011 at 9:06pmHey beeant! how are you? well i read u are busy with yer university,thats fine. ok i wanna tell you in the Practice section is not working very well, when i set to certain level (e.g. only level 1) there still appears me the words from the others level, and the same with kanji and vocabulary mode, if u can fix that i'll appreciate it ^^
- beeant August 14, 2011 at 9:47amHello All JCJP Users!
I am currently enjoying my summer holiday with coding.
I have done a little warm up after away from coding for a quite long time.
I did some code fixing and optimization on Reading and Trends feature.
For reading, the English translation for each vocabulary is more detailed now, it also showed on the quiz. The vocabulary appears on the reading will only be the vocabulary that is existed in edict.
For Trends, now you can enjoy browsing trends listing with much better speed, I think the speed is reasonable now.
Please check out these two features.
More updates will come soon. Also, I will try to response to all the left out messages from you all. I am really sorry for being away, and ignoring so many feedbacks, complains, appreciations, etc.